I need to vent

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unless they can see somthing in plain sight that you shouldn't have in your car they can not ask you to open the hood or trunk or even ask you to lift a blanket off of somthing or they smell alcohol or drugs, unless it is at a roadside safety check and they are checking every car but only to certain limits ie: light check, brake check, seat belt check and the pita window tint check other than that they can not do much

unless they can see somthing in plain sight that you shouldn't have in your car they can not ask you to open the hood or trunk or even ask you to lift a blanket off of somthing or they smell alcohol or drugs, unless it is at a roadside safety check and they are checking every car but only to certain limits ie: light check, brake check, seat belt check and the pita window tint check other than that they can not do much

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading the OP....

Well, they can ask, you can refuse, they can then get probable cause to impound the car. Depends on how hell bent the cop is to nail you for something. You can quote laws back to a cop all day, but get one on a bad day you'll be quoting those laws from the back seat of the patrol car while Bubba the Tow Truck driver hauls your car onto a flatbed with salvage hooks and the car still in gear. You might win in court... but it's better not to go at all. If you've got nothing to hide, don't hide it. If you've got something illegal, well, you took that risk and now its time to pay the piper. Just because you don't like the laws doesn't give you any right to ignore or break them. If you live in Cali, having to keep everything bone-stock is the trade off you have for sunny weather and nice beaches with lots of sightseeing.

Well, they can ask, you can refuse, they can then get probable cause to impound the car. Depends on how hell bent the cop is to nail you for something. You can quote laws back to a cop all day, but get one on a bad day you'll be quoting those laws from the back seat of the patrol car while Bubba the Tow Truck driver hauls your car onto a flatbed with salvage hooks and the car still in gear. You might win in court... but it's better not to go at all. If you've got nothing to hide, don't hide it. If you've got something illegal, well, you took that risk and now its time to pay the piper. Just because you don't like the laws doesn't give you any right to ignore or break them. If you live in Cali, having to keep everything bone-stock is the trade off you have for sunny weather and nice beaches with lots of sightseeing.

Being the leader in a pack of cars is bad for this reason....the leader must be made example of.

• 1 month later...

Just gotta vent out my ticket

Went on a cruise to alice's on Sunday with my buddies, everything was fine and dandy until we were heading back. We come to a stop sign an there he was, San mateo county sheriff... I was like fuuuuuuuuu.. Look both ways, and hea off with my buddies behind me. The sheriff passed up both my friends, pulls up behind me and wham, the dreaded sirens. I pull over into a parking lot and wait.

"I pulled you over for your modified exhaust"

"it's just a muffler, I said"

"it's still modified, do you have anything unde the hood?"

"just a k&n ( trying to pass off my msa shortram)

"where's the carb number for that?"

"it's just an air filter?"

"yeah you need a carb number for that"

Fuuuuuu

"that breather filter and bov aren't legal either" he said

FUUUUU

"you're also too low" he goes on

FUUUUUUUUU

"I'll be right back"

He leaves me to ponder what number I'm gonna have to pull out of my wallet in a month.

"come over here please"

Great... <_<

"so I'm giving you a ticket for modified exhaust and modified smog, you'll have to go to the ref if you want it signed off"

I scribble my signiture and leave..

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

So that was my nice experience cruising up to alice's and back. Oh joy

if he wants a smog check.... i can always grab my uncle's modded cummins dodge, and smoke out the town :P

This is why I'm happy to be in AZ. I can visit you guys, but don't have to deal with the BS over there. I got pulled over in a modified RX7 in California a few years back, the cop started his laundry list of issues, and you could see his complete disappointment when I handed him my AZ license. I was thinking, "hehe, see ya suckuh".

Sorry to hear about the issues. Maybe some day you guys can get the voters together and actually do something about all that bullshit.

Fuck i can't beleive anybody woud want to live in that shithole called cali! Who would willingly put thereselves thru that bs! on second thought cali is great, if you live there stay there! that smog shit on rigs usually just makes em run worse and cause more pollution IMO.

Just out of curiosity where did you get popped? Was it at the top of the hill at four corners or were you down in Woodside?

I lived in California for 50 years, I think that all you guys who don't want to live there,,, for what ever reason... that is great. Stay the fuck away, don't even visit. California is one of the coolest places on the planet. The thing that screwed it up is all the wack-a-doddles, nut jobs, fakers and loosers that came from all over the place. The miserable little po-dunk rocks they crawled out from under had nothing going on so they bolted. I had to move because the great place I grew up in the Bay Area got obliterated by the DotCom boom and bust. If you have money, the Bay Area is the greatest place to live. If you don't, and I would argue that none of you posting on this forum and driving beat to shit Datsuns have two fucking nickles to rub together... OR YOU WOULD BE LIVING THERE!

• Like 2

I have lived in California, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Alabama, and visited 38 states, you know what that means nothing really just wanted to brag :D. I however like Colorado over California from my personal experience California was nice, but I like it more to visit. I will probably live there again at some point in time though. I do get pretty annoyed at someone telling me what I can and can't do to my property I can understand the safety equipment, but if I want 1 gillion HP I say that no one should be able to stop me, just my personal feelings.

So you got popped down in Woodside? You're going the have to chalk this one off as an expensive lesson. I lived up on Skyline in the '70s and up on Old La Honda Road in the '90s. I was burning gas 'n rubber up there in the '60s. I know every corner of every road in San Mateo County. I could write a book about all the people I've seen die on the roads up there, and all the vehicles I've seen wadded up.

Lesson #1. Don't go up in the Santa Cruz Mountains on Sunday. #2 Don't go through Woodside on 84 until after six PM. The Sheriff just sits there at the school and tickets every car going 26 in a 25... all day long. The best time to rip it is about five, six or seven in the morning depending on the time or year. Best shot is, to cut through off of Canada Road on Olive Hill Lane, then go up Kings Mountain Road. But, you are just asking for trouble to even go up there on the week-ends. Gonna get hit by some kid driving waaay over their heads, thinking they are Ayrton Senna... and could be going up in flames like him too.

I had a shop in Redwood City for 17 years. I would roll my bike out of the shop during the summer about five thirty or so, then sit at Robert's in Woodside waiting for the Sheriff's shift to end, and watch them go back to County. Then it's fun time. HYPO are rarely up there during the week unless there is a really bad wreck. About '99 they put together a task force to bust all the guys on superbikes ripping Skyline at 150MPH so HYPO were up there in numbers with choppers in the sky every weekend.

I have blown off Vettes, BMW M's, Vipers, you name it, on bikes... I have also been smoked by other bikes like I was painted on the Armco. I have run from Sheriffs and HYPOS and totally got away many times over the years. Mostly cars are kind of fun to try and get sideways but it gets old hustling something big, heavy and slow. Bikes are way more fun, waaay quicker and faster. Did I mention how many people I've seen die out in the County? All the crazy shit I did for like 25 years, I should be dead too. I was just dumb lucky. Lucky but still dumb.

When I was up there shredding asphalt in the '60s there were very few cars and even less bikes. I blame guys like you for messing up the coolest place to ride. When I lived up there, all the natives hated loud cars and bikes with a passion. I mean if you spent $300K an acre for property to live out in the county... you wouldn't want to hear some clown with a fart can, out for a joy ride, echoing through the Redwoods either. You don't live in Woodside unless you have some money... and those are the people that have the pull to get the Sheriff to hassle flat landers like you.

Back in the day, I passed three cars over the double yellow on 84, down by the big red barn about 8 AM on Thankgiving Day. I was going about 115 when I saw the Sheriff sitting at the corner watch me pull back into the lane. I slowed right down so he wouldn't have to chase me down. He almost ran into me because he thought I was going to run. I talked my way out of that one.

In '69 I was sitting at the bottom of Old La Honda Road woofin' a fatty with my girlfriend. A Sheriff just happened to drive by and stopped to see if we were broke down or something. He poured out the OZ that was in my glove box and left.

In '86 my business partner bought a cherry 911 Targa. I had a Toyota Corolla Twin-Cam GTS that was pretty quick. I took him to go get the car and we were going back to his place off Portola Valley Road. We were racing over Wiskey Hill Road at about 130. When we crested the hill there by Joan Baez's place across from the Olympic Equestrian center... there is a Sheriff coming up the hill the other way. We blew the stop sign and ripped up Portola Valley Road. I was in front and I made a split second decision to turn up Old La Honda Road. There are always cops on patrol in Portola Valley, so we could get caught by the radio in seconds. My partner read my mind and followed me instead of trying to go to his place in a Cul-de-sac. We went up a ways to a property where we had built a house a couple years before and hid out. Lucky.

In '94 I was doing a monster remodel up in Portola Valley Ranch. About ten AM on a Wednesday I was going up Whiskey Hill Road towards Woodside in my work truck. I wasn't even going fast, but just as I crested the hill in third and shifted into fourth... there is Omar Sheriff with radar. I didn't think twice about it. A couple seconds later the little fuck come racing up behind me and lights me up. I couldn't believe he chased me down.

He says I was doing 53 in a 35. I proceed to try and talk my way out of it, but he was just a young dick head cop. He says, the tax paying home owners that live on Whisky Hill Road don't appreciate the flat lander contractors speeding in front of their driveways. I told him to look at my address again... I live here... where the fuck do you live, East Palo Alto??? I actually knew three families that I had done decks or kitchens right where we were. I said so do you know, So and So, or these folks, pointing to the mailboxes. He started to tell me some other cop bullshit and I could see that he was going to give me the ticket, so I just talked over him. I said, this is a real chicken-shit ticket, hurry the fuck up, I actually have a REAL job and have places to go, money to make. I'll see you in court. He started in on me again and I said, "Your problem is that when you were a kid, you fucked around in school, didn't pay attention, so you ended up with this shitty gig, where every single person hates your ass."

Right at that point, an older guy in a 308 Ferarri crests the hill at about 80mph, nails the brakes and pulls into the driveway across from us. I tell the cop... " Uh, I bet he paid attention in school! I don't need radar to know he wasn't going 35... gonna git him???

He never showed up and I beat the ticket in court.

You know, It's a chicken/egg thing. When I was in high school there weren't all the people and development. No need to have so many cops. Silicon Valley created money and the new gold rush was on. That's why I bailed out, too many crazy people from somewhere else trying to get a piece of the pie. Now you can't drive two blocks with out seeing cops.

You know mostly all the people that rag on California have no idea what's up. It is a big fucking place with stuff that you won't see in any other part of the world. Many native Californians haven't even seen two thirds of the place. It breaks my heart to know that greedy people have been fucking up the land for two hundred years. It was a paradise until they started to dam every creek and river to develop San Francisco and LA. The land was already fucked before I was even born. But it was still a great place until the '90s. It's not the place that sucks but all the greedy fucked up people that came from somewhere else.

End Rant.

• Like 1

I'll have to agree with your rant, it only takes a handfull of rtards to mess it up for everyone else. But that's the case with pretty much anything. However, I can honestly say that I'm not one of them, and it's your choice to believe me or not. I actually go there just for the drive, the atmosphere, the scenery. I don't go flying thru the hills going Mach 10, and chases are if I did I was stuck in traffic. I've been in way too many close calls over the years for me to pretend I'm michael Schumacher in the hills, you can say I grew up. And in the case I do, we have our own places to go other than skyline to get the itch out. All I gotta say is lesson learned, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it probably is. Even the locals who live there, in my opinion, should not abuse the fact that they live there and take their ferraris or what not on a joy ride. If you do want to, there's plenty of track events that you can, hence why I don't go racing in the hills or pretend I'm Tokyo drift in the streets. I have friends that do, but I stay out of that.

Point is, don't be an rtard that messes things up for everyone and then complain about it,

If you're asking to get caught and pulled over and have your hood popped and get a ticket for stuff you're not supposed to have, don't bitch, you had it coming, or move out of California.

Which I'm not.. :P

Right on... I hear you.

I guess Expensive Lesson 3# is cops suck, it's easy money for the cops in Woodside to pop all the flat landers that come through on their way to the beach and Redwoods.

When we were young about '60, my parents looked at a couple houses in Woodside. They were expensive at the time, like $80K or $90K. I ended up working on one of those houses years later. They paid something north of three mill and spent a couple hundred large on the remodel. Should have bought the house, but my Dad said, "Why the fuck do we want to live out here in the sticks... we got to drive 20 minutes to get to anything?"

You have to remember that Highway 101 was two lanes in each direction and there was no Interstate 280, no 92 or bridge like it is now. After high school a friend rented a house on Moore Road, that is basically on the corner of 280 and Woodside Road. It's still there. I worked on it as a finish carpentry sub for a $12 Million remodel in '99. He rented it for a few hundred bucks a month. I'd go up there and we would push dirt bikes out of the garage and just go crazy. There was nothing around. When they started to lay out and grade the roadbed for Interstate 280, we turned it into the world's biggest super cross!

In the late '80s my contractor friends coined a term. Someone ask me, where you working man? I said, oh, you know... the "ghetto". Whaa? You know the millionaire's ghetto! Some of my clients in the early '80s were just yuppie millionaires, but by the '90s they were straight up billionaires.

So I guess my question is, what is the fascination with rolling through the Redwoods in bumper to bumper traffic? When Alice's started to become a hangout for motorcycles on the weekends, I made a point to stop going up there. Some idiot at Cycle World Magazine wrote an article about the Hang at Alice's and talked about all the cool back roads to shred. The next weekend every Squid on a bike in Northern California was up there riding over their heads. It's been all down hill from there.

There were days when I would go up Page Mill Road and sit at the Vista Point. It never failed, I would see the Life Flight Chopper take off from Stanford to scrape some fool up off the road. Did I tell you about all the people I have seen die right in front of me?

Anyway, my friends and I were lucky to get religion early on. We started to go to California Superbike School around '81. It was exactly 99 miles from my shop to the Sears Point paddock and 99 miles to the paddock at Laguna Seca. That tripped me out! I checked it many, many times. What you say about track days is the gospel. But most people can't afford to do them or schools either. That is why most guys think they are fast and good drivers... really they have no clue what fast is... and if they got a glimpse of fast they would have to change their shorts.

My favorite track is Thunderhill. Having said that, the most fun you can have with your clothes on, is the turns 4, 5, 6 at Laguna.

Having said that, when we decided that it was starting to suck riding in our own back yards, we started to ride an hour or two, just to get to someplace where we could burn gas and stretch chains. You said you have your spots. I bet you are talking about Mines Road. We used to do laps, like over Mt. Hamilton, up San Antonio Valley and Mines back into Livermore... or take the lap in reverse.

Same deal, when we first started going out there we never saw anything or anybody, but it got found too. I still read CityBike Magazine and I see that that are having a big cycle wing ding like the Kawasaki Days at Alice's a few years back. It's at that roadhouse bar on the corner Mines and Del Puerto Canyon Road (another great road). Oh, great let all the squids in the world know where they can be outlaws.

So if we were going to be outlaws, we needed to go where there were no cops. Like riding the passes over the Sierras, 88 and 108... 120 is 35MPH through Yosemite and the Rangers give you a stiff Federal ticket. Nice drive through Tioga pass though on off days. It's less than three hundred miles to Carson City from The Bay. Spend the night and rip the other pass back home.

Then we got to the point where we put bikes in the van, went up to Healdsburg to rip Dry Creek Road out to the the coast, then up the coast to Mountain View Road, and back in a big loop... or get fuel, turn around and rip home it in the other direction.

The true badlands for outlaws is down on highway 25 past Pinnicles National Monument. Used to ride down in the morning and work our way back to shred Carmel Valley Road and come back up the coast and over 84 to Redwood City. 350 to 400 mile days.

Way back in the '80s I had a group of friends that would ride down to Death Valley every October. Eight or nine guys racing over the Panamint Mountains into the Valley. The second year we had wives and girlfriends take a couple vans as chase vehicles with all our camping stuff, tools and gas cans, so we could ride fast. We would get up at sunup... 90 degrees... and blast all over Death Valley at warp speed until we couldn't stand it anymore. It was so deserted out there that you didn't ride ten tenths because if you fell down... you really are nowhere... they didn't call it Death Valley for nuthin'.

So yeah, there is a time and place for everything. I got into riding by myself, mostly because no matter what my friends said about taking it easy and just crusing... we ended up racing. Are you hip to this site:

ttp://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

I met this guy out in the middle of nowhere at a rest spot at the end of 299 near Arcata on one of my epic solo tours. It was like 25 years ago. We talked about putting a map together of all the great roads in Northern California for motorcyclists. There wasn't any WWW. yet and I forgot all about the guy until somebody sent me a link to his first web site a dozen years ago.

If you are reading this and have no clue what we are talking about... scroll down the page and look at the Santa Cruz Mountains links. I have applied thousand of dollars worth of sticky Dunlop rubber on every single one of those roads. You may think you have great roads to blast on where you live... but I can show you three or four better ones in California for one of yours.

Check out the vids... and remember the CityBike motto... "Ride Fast and Take Chances!"

this is one reason why i left california though i do have some "i beat the cop" stories my favorite was when i got pulled over in the new car the cop said the same thing he said to you that my exhaust was to loud i looked at him and said ok lets see the db levels to conferm this he avoided that and asked if i had a cat on the car i said no he said thats illegal i said no its not the car is a 73 and never came equipped with a cat he proceeded to shut up after that

bottom line is the cop had no right to do what he did to you and if i were you i would fight it