'72 Shakotan Z RB20DET

I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out. It's not terribly pretty, but it most definitely serves a purpose. Still have to drill the back of the pan and weld the nut on for the drain plug, but it's coming along with the other nuts and bolts for the hub.

SkidPlate2.jpg

SkidPlate1.jpg

That's all for this weeks festivities - it's been a slow one.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read through this whole thread and I'm loving every page!! I'd do the Shakotan style Zs are my favorite. Would love to do one up myself one day. Keep up all the great work!

Thanks very much! I'd take a 510 over the Z any day of the week though, haha.

• 3 weeks later...

Looksie at what finally came in the god damned mail!

WilwoodMaster.jpg

This is going out for a rebuild this week.

RustyBooster.jpg

Going to use this main hoop to begin drafting up a simple 6-point that I'll be making because I'll be damned if I'm spending $1200 on a bolt-in.

MainHoop.jpg

Dropped this out this evening, going to rip it all apart and ensure working order before a good lick of paint and back in she goes.

E-BrakeAssy.jpg

I did away with my wipers, and shaved the cowl accordingly.

CowlShaved.jpg

PassSideCowl.jpg

DriverSideCowl.jpg

I really can't wait to be able to call this my nightly office...

TheOffice.jpg

Going to be back up there going at it tomorrow morning. I feel really good about the car lately, so I might as well ride the high.

In-Progress.jpg

• Like 1

Hooray for updates!!! Always pumped to see progress.

I really can't wait to be able to call this my nightly office...

TheOffice.jpg

As a side note, do you have any photos of how you mounted your seat? Having trouble mounting mine low enough to fit me and my helmet!

• Like 1

Hooray for updates!!! Always pumped to see progress.

As a side note, do you have any photos of how you mounted your seat? Having trouble mounting mine low enough to fit me and my helmet!

Progress is good, ahah. As far as the seats go - it's super simple. I just welded new plate to where the old rails used to go, and bolted my seat directly to the floor. Obviously the procress was a little more involved as getting it level and centered was a total pain in the ass. I'm 6'1" and it puts me nice and low in the car.

awesome! is that in an airplane hanger?

I wish! It's just a really big quanza hut.

Cleaned up the ebrake assembly yesterday, watched a friend make ricey modifications to his car, and tore around in a Starlet.

E-BrakeAssySand.jpg

E-BrakeAssyBlack.jpg

This car is so much god damned fun.

Starlet2.jpg

Starlet1.jpg

• Like 1

i miss my starlet! it got side swiped by an suv. =(

your z is looking great!

That's really unfortunate. I'd never had the opportunity to see one before this, but I'm beyond sold on this platform. It's a good friend of mine who's been picking up the pieces where the previous owner left off - it's come a long way, and is probably my favorite of his collection.

You are so close!!! ... it's still the best Z car on earth ... :cool: ... . who cares if it drives? ... :lol:

If you get discouraged, don't put so much time into the car, or take a couple weeks off from touching the car.. Make a game-plan, and try not to fuck it up .. :lol: ... only do projects you know can be done, or have been documented... do easy mind-less stuff instead of worrying about a missing part/tool

The internet's going to break when this thing drives, people don't even know what a proper looking Z looks like . might want to wait a while anyways for Stance to die . :rofl: . eventually people will just be like, "because slammed race car on the street" .. :lol:

• Like 1

You are so close!!! ... it's still the best Z car on earth ... :cool: ... . who cares if it drives? ... :lol:

If you get discouraged, don't put so much time into the car, or take a couple weeks off from touching the car.. Make a game-plan, and try not to fuck it up .. :lol: ... only do projects you know can be done, or have been documented... do easy mind-less stuff instead of worrying about a missing part/tool

The internet's going to break when this thing drives, people don't even know what a proper looking Z looks like . might want to wait a while anyways for Stance to die . :rofl: . eventually people will just be like, "because slammed race car on the street" .. :lol:

Thanks for the kind words, Indy - your comment has me sitting in my office grinning this morning. I took a couple of weeks off from her recently, and it makes coming back to it a hell of a lot more fun.

I'm loving your z man, it looks great!

Cheers!

I was supposed to be picking up a 4.11 R180 on Friday, but it looks like only 3.90's made it on the shipment. There's supposed to be another container coming over with a couple of 4.11's in another few weeks - so I'm gonna wait it out as I don't want to settle just yet.

A friend also turned me on to Kirk Racing for my cage needs as trying to make that ghetto hoop work was going to be sort of hack and not at all what I was in to. The Cusco that I was looking in to originally fell through with my contact in Japan.

I'm just waiting to hear back about confirmation on this bugger here, with a removable diagonal brace, and the additional door bars.

CompetitionCage2.jpg

CompetitionCage.jpg

• Like 1