'72 Shakotan Z RB20DET

Chopped it out to box it in for the feet. Nothing's ever pretty when it comes to Datsun floors. It's like trying to weld to paper, and it drives me insane.

PassengerBoxRound1.jpg

DriverBoxRound1.jpg

Too bad the drivers side box didn't work. I forgot to account for the angle that would have been built in to the floor initially. This is where I started to get even angrier. Cut that shit back out!

DriverBoxFuxxxed.jpg

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would piss me off too, but it's coming together nicely

I have the same roll bar and had the same problem with the main hoop. It was a huge pain to get it in there properly.

Its looking great though.

Thanks, guys! I think I'm going to add my own diagonal bar if I can figure out a way to dodge the back of both my seats. I should have taken a picture of how tight is sat to the back of my bucket. I got awfully lucky, haha.

Thanks, guys! I think I'm going to add my own diagonal bar if I can figure out a way to dodge the back of both my seats. I should have taken a picture of how tight is sat to the back of my bucket. I got awfully lucky, haha.

The inside of these cars are TINY!! I don't understand how the seating area is so small when the engine bay is so large! Stoked to see a photo of the inside though, that roll bar is gonna look sweet. Any particular reason you went bolt in rather than weld in?

You think the interior of a s30 is small? I think its pretty roomy for a sports car, 6'1" and I still got room with 350z seats and a loop. Try a roadster or a miata or real small sports cars, THATS tiny lol.

Are your seats mounted high maybe? I can sit with a helmet and not touch the roof. I have my 350z seats mounted low though. No doubt its not an suv though, sometimes when I adjust the shoulder strap to tight I feel all trapped and freak out lol.

The inside of these cars are TINY!! I don't understand how the seating area is so small when the engine bay is so large! Stoked to see a photo of the inside though, that roll bar is gonna look sweet. Any particular reason you went bolt in rather than weld in?

I wanted a bolt-in cage for the sake of retaining a full interior. If it was a clean shell without a bunch of chassis repairs and a bondo-filled body, I would have considered a proper cage. But, all I was looking for was a tidy 6-point to stiffen up the chassis when I'm ricin' on the streets.

Its really how close my shoulder is to the door that gets me. I'm 6'2" so we are all in the same boat there. Leg room isn't an issue, but low roof, and my shoulders dream of space!

Are your seats mounted high maybe? I can sit with a helmet and not touch the roof. I have my 350z seats mounted low though. No doubt its not an suv though, sometimes when I adjust the shoulder strap to tight I feel all trapped and freak out lol.

I'm also 6'1", and I when I'm in the bucket I'm not even close to touching the roof. I've got no rails or sliders, and have mounted the seats directly to the old floor tabs. The first time I tossed a Sparco in there to get an idea of where it needed to be, where it sat on the tabs ended up being a good height - I ran with it from there.

Started on the driver's door-bar last night. You can see where the lower bar buggers off towards where the rocker ends and the floor pan kicks up at the firewall. I'm going to build similar boxes to the ones for the legs of the main hoop so that it's all tied together nice and strong.

DoorBar1.jpg

Seat clearances. The bar passes between my shoulder and my elbow - I once read somewhere that this is a good spot for a door bar? Works for me!

DoorBar2.jpg

Cut the tacks, drilled out the sleeve on the bench, bolted it back together, set it back in place, and welded in the top section for good.

DoorBar3.jpg

They used to be mounted too high, were bolted to some home made brackets that utilized the stock sliders/rails. Gave me about an inch of headroom.

Better now, made some nice mods to the floor and she is sitting real pretty now.

I wanted a bolt-in cage for the sake of retaining a full interior. If it was a clean shell without a bunch of chassis repairs and a bondo-filled body, I would have considered a proper cage. But, all I was looking for was a tidy 6-point to stiffen up the chassis when I'm ricin' on the streets.

sounds like the perfect solution then! I've always heard mixed reviews about bolt-ins not being properly installed, but seems like your doing it justice as usual. Plans for painting the cage when all is said and done?

• Like 1
2eDeYe' timestamp='1347462424' post='755976']

Is the door bar going to be removable? If so, here is a cleaner option for your tube attachment.

photos-TubeClamps.jpg

These are the cheapest that I found. They are available from a few sources though.

http://www.polyperfo...Clamp-p-66.html

I like that.

• Like 1
2eDeYe' timestamp='1347462424' post='755976']

Is the door bar going to be removable? If so, here is a cleaner option for your tube attachment.

photos-TubeClamps.jpg

These are the cheapest that I found. They are available from a few sources though.

http://www.polyperfo...Clamp-p-66.html

You are a life saver! :wub: I'm actually incredibly thankful that you posted this, because looking at those stupid unions that were supplied with the door bars was really bothering me this evening. They're an eye-sore, and are the first things you see when you open the door.

My tension rod cups were destroyed on the drivers side, so I welded on the old washers from the factory arms and drilled them out to accept the new washers on the T3 rods. Awfully nice meow.

I brought a bunch of milk crates and storage bins to tidy my space further, and found this in the bottom of one of my old boxes. Like a fucking chump! :(

SteeringWheelSurround.jpg

Anyone have a black surround they'd like to send me?

I have one that is in good condition. I have a ton of 1971 240z parts for sale.. PM me if you want the black surround.

Also, which air dam are you using on your car?

sounds like the perfect solution then! I've always heard mixed reviews about bolt-ins not being properly installed, but seems like your doing it justice as usual. Plans for painting the cage when all is said and done?

I'd like to think I'm doing it properly, haha. The cage is gonna get powder-coated the same colour as my intake piping. The car is going a brown flake, so the cream cage will be rather nice I think! :)

I have one that is in good condition. I have a ton of 1971 240z parts for sale.. PM me if you want the black surround.

Also, which air dam are you using on your car?

Thanks for the offer, but Jeremy ended up setting me up with a couple of 'em. I don't remember which one I've got, but it's what I consider to be the most attractive of the air dams; dual vents, and full poly - shit'll bend right in half no problem.

You are a life saver! :wub: I'm actually incredibly thankful that you posted this, because looking at those stupid unions that were supplied with the door bars was really bothering me this evening. They're an eye-sore, and are the first things you see when you open the door.

Wow! That connector in the pic came with the kit? :sick:

I dig the style I posted, the way the interlock together is very strong.

thank you.

You're welcome!

2eDeYe' timestamp='1347547102' post='756527']

Wow! That connector in the pic came with the kit? :sick:

I dig the style I posted, the way the interlock together is very strong.

I know, right? The tolerances would be too tight after being powdercoated with the union they provided, anyways.

You said that coupler was the cheapest you'd found? Were there others you had also seen? I tried my luck at finding some more, but wasn't successful - if not, I'll just order from your link. :)