'72 Shakotan Z RB20DET

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got that one from the Z Store. I had originally tried to buy one from Dave at Arizona Z Car, but he was REALLY not interested in shipping to Canada - he was actually a huge dick about it, so I just gave up trying with him.

Sweet, thanks. Thats a bummer about Arizona Z, I've gotten lots of parts from him, and he's been super chill!

I honestly dont think the slight if any gain from running a solid mount are worth the bigger risk of tearing the xmember up. The whole thing is designed to flex I meant hey run a belt above the dif for christs sake lol. In order to run solid mounts way more needs to be worked out then just the mount. Shit the mount is the easy part.

Why id you have to order a 4.11 from Japan? Was is cheaper then stateside or something?

I actually JUST installed one myself yesterday lol. I'm getting dressed now to do a shake down and feel out those gears. I changed to 55f9 idle jets too, use dif, but I digress....

I honestly dont think the slight if any gain from running a solid mount are worth the bigger risk of tearing the xmember up. The whole thing is designed to flex I meant hey run a belt above the dif for christs sake lol. In order to run solid mounts way more needs to be worked out then just the mount. Shit the mount is the easy part.

Why id you have to order a 4.11 from Japan? Was is cheaper then stateside or something?

I actually JUST installed one myself yesterday lol. I'm getting dressed now to do a shake down and feel out those gears. I changed to 55f9 idle jets too, use dif, but I digress....

I only got a new mount because my factory rubber one was all but destroyed. I might just get one of those top-mount style ones that was posted just up the page.

Whitehead brought that diff in from Japan because trying to get things from the States is a joke. We get absolutely raped on shipping charges, and then duty once it comes across the border. It was easier for me to just drive an hour to pick this one up once it arrived.

I see, The top mounts have their own issues Idk I like a PROPER stock set up. It feels good. Def take the top over the solid though imho.

On my ebay store I used to sell a lot of stuff to Canadians its more money but I think a lot of sellers out there just tack on money because its not that expensive to be 2nd in cost to Japan lol. I mean its def opposite for us, Japan shipping is astronomical which is understandable its an island on the other side of the world lol.

The dutys def are a bitch, many Canadians ask to lie about the value via ebay sales because of them. A guy actually drove down to pick up a gtr r34 trans I had and drive back because it was cheaper but I had to hook him up on the bos because the duty on driving back with a 1k trans was nuts.

Is the dif a snap in axle like the K r180's or is it bolt in like the usdm r180's. The one I just installed was K snap in so I converted it to bolt in. Get it in, 4.11 is great lol.

• 3 weeks later...

72240z; I swapped it over to the bolt-in style that came in the car originally!

Here's a little update on the ol' shit box. Hoping to have it in clear really soon? Then I can put all new seals on, and make some windows to throw in there. Assembling things will be strange! Let's start it off with some Instagram snaps, 'cause I'm all over that iPhone 5 shit now! Follow a mother fucker @pushin_raftz

SittingInside.jpg

CefiroZ.jpg

I made a new harness bar and got the cage all done. I dropped it off at the powdercoaters today, so I should have it back either tomorrow or Wednesday!

Cagezorz.jpg

Jackstands.jpg

• Like 1

Been busy spending a little money on the old girl, also! I bought the wrong size rad hoses, so I'm waiting for the replacements to show up, but I also ordered some other fun stuff from FRSport;

NismoKnob.jpg

Boost, Water Temp, and Oil Pressure;

Defi1.jpg

Defi2.jpg

In my excitement I neglected to order the controller. That should be here soon!

Also picked up a new ignitor chip from a member on GTRCanada, because mine was a little broken.

IgnitorChip.jpg

I kid you not, I probably took about 150 pounds worth of epoxy off this car. It was insane - I never want to sand another vehicle in my life.

Bondouche.jpg

I've been keeping busy with my truck in the mean time, also! If you couldn't already tell - I like burnouts a lot.

Heaterz.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

• Like 1

My friend Santi took a couple pictures of the Z, and my truck while we were at the shop one day. He takes some pretty wild pictures, and has a sweet Silvia. Worth taking a look!

http://www.staticmotion.ca/

I hear you there! What happened to the brown paint idea, sounds like your going to leave it raw metal?

Paint was in the plans until the stripping began. This shell is a total scrap heap, SO not worth putting that much money in product in to this car. From what I've seen of clear-over-metal cars before, it should look pretty gnarly!

I think the raw look would get a lot of attention, especially with all the performance mods! I like the idea

Right? I'm glad you're in to it, dude.

I like it because it's almost cliche, and something you might expect from a trendy-ish, hacked together car, but the minute you look a little deeper in to the car you'd (hopefully ;)) realize that it's anything but that!

• Like 1

I got that one from the Z Store. I had originally tried to buy one from Dave at Arizona Z Car, but he was REALLY not interested in shipping to Canada - he was actually a huge dick about it, so I just gave up trying with him.

I import stuff all the time from the US. There must be places that ship to one side of the boarder then transport up to Toronto. There's at least two that do it here in Victoria. The place I use is $25 for the first 40lbs

Paint was in the plans until the stripping began. This shell is a total scrap heap, SO not worth putting that much money in product in to this car. From what I've seen of clear-over-metal cars before, it should look pretty gnarly!

look at the 510 keepers bluebird coupe "rustybird"

get yourself some metal prep :lol:

• Like 1

Kind of a crazy week just passed. I got an offer on my truck that I couldn't refuse, and took that as a sign to treat myself real well. Decided to hit the ground runnin' and signed for a 2012 CRZ on Saturday morning. Hopefully sorting everything out this week so that I'll take the girl home this coming Friday. To say I'm excited would be a serious understatement!

CRZampTruck.jpg

• Like 1

I've heard good things about those CRZ's. I like having the space of my wagon, but I for sure wouldn't complain about one of those bad boys!

I'm very used to having little space, and this is actually a huge upgrade in space compared to a standard cab S10. This thing doesn't have back seats, so there's a fair bit of room in the back to throw anything that I might need. Thing's 6-speed, black on black leather interior, fully loaded - I've never had any creature comforts in a car before, so this is all too exciting for me. It should be amazing! :)