'72 Shakotan Z RB20DET

Men i just received my megan racing coilover kit, I'm studying these and, I don't understand why cutting the perches ? why not just adjust the perch close to the spring if I screw it to the top it gaves me 17'1/2 and those are on my 280z right now are 26'1/2 I dont think I'll drop my car more then 9-10 inch... is it possible 10 inch, it sounds very low. Or maybe It's not recomanded to screw the perche to the top I don't know well suspension stuff. So your car is uncredibly low like more then 10 inch of drop or I very don't understand well my suspension :p

Thanks !!

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Men i just received my megan racing coilover kit, I'm studying these and, I don't understand why cutting the perches ? why not just adjust the perch close to the spring if I screw it to the top it gaves me 17'1/2 and those are on my 280z right now are 26'1/2 I dont think I'll drop my car more then 9-10 inch... is it possible 10 inch, it sounds very low. Or maybe It's not recomanded to screw the perche to the top I don't know well suspension stuff. So your car is uncredibly low like more then 10 inch of drop or I very don't understand well my suspension :P

Thanks !!

What lower perches are you using? You've gotta understand that your knuckle mounts way further down the coilover than an S13 because of the suspension design in the S30's.

Ok maybe it don't gives 10 inch but, did you adjust the perch near to the spring ? I'm using the Kit on mckinney, already comes whit the perches and top hats. http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/7775/img4141ui.jpg

I have the perches pretty well touching the bottom of the collar with about a half inch of droop on the front springs. The rears are no problem - just get the perch touching the bottom collar. Based on that photo, I'm not sure you'll be able to spin the perch up that high.

I guess this is a good a place as any to pose the question; anybody want to continue a little project I started two years ago? The shell is pretty much worthless, but there's plenty of goodies to go along with it.

I'm gonna work on a part-out thread in the next couple days, but I figured I'd put the offer out there in case anyone was interested.

If you've ever seen anything in the thread and thought - "HEY! I REALLY WANT THAT!". Well, now's your time to get it! Send me a PM, or post in here. I'll be checking back at least once daily.

Wheels are up on Zilvia if y'all are interested!

http://zilvia.net/f/wheels-tires/499684-brand-new-rs-watanabe-type-r-15x10j-25-15x9-5j-29-4x114-3-full-set-tires.html

There is no emoticon for how I feel right now! I'm gonna hope that this is another phase and that you get this bad boy rolling soon.

Hope nothing serious is wrong, I know a few people locally who have lost jobs etc and had to abandon ship on some rad projects. 

Certainly not a phase or hiccup this time. This car will never be anything I want my name attached to, and I've taken the whole thing a lesson learned. Perhaps my only regret would have been starting the project in the first place, but I've learned so much along the way that it would be a silly statement to make. I now know precisely how to go about my next build, and when that time comes I'll be well equipped and prepared.

Certainly not a phase or hiccup this time. This car will never be anything I want my name attached to, and I've taken the whole thing a lesson learned. Perhaps my only regret would have been starting the project in the first place, but I've learned so much along the way that it would be a silly statement to make. I now know precisely how to go about my next build, and when that time comes I'll be well equipped and prepared.

Damn dude! At least you can come away from all this with more knowledge than when you started! This has been my favorite Ratsun build by miles and I'm gonna miss it! Lots of inspiration and badassery in this build. I'll have to keep an eye out if you do a part out thread, see if I can get some of this stuff in my car and give it a new life. 

Still need to see photos of your Honda too! 

Damn dude! At least you can come away from all this with more knowledge than when you started! This has been my favorite Ratsun build by miles and I'm gonna miss it! Lots of inspiration and badassery in this build. I'll have to keep an eye out if you do a part out thread, see if I can get some of this stuff in my car and give it a new life. 

Still need to see photos of your Honda too! 

Part out thread will probably be tomorrow night's project!

• Like 1
This car will never be anything I want my name attached to, and I've taken the whole thing a lesson learned.

Been re-reading this statement and its confusing me a little. From the thread, it seemed you were stoked to be building this car the whole time, other than a major kick in the nuts when you finished stripping the body! Care to elaborate?

Part out thread will probably be tomorrow night's project!

I'll be patiently waiting!

dammit. I'd rather finish the project instead of first letting things slide and then being too lazy to pick up where you left off.

Then, even if the "end product" wasnt what you dreamed up at first sight, you still would have something worthy, ie. the experience of FINISHING up what you started long ago ;)

.. even if it was to lay it to rest or hand it over to others.

cu, w0lf.

• Like 1

For what its worth, and coming from someone who gave up on his 210 project before it even started, having your name attached to this project should be a real source of pride...not a sore spot! You've taken a rusted piece of shit and turned it into one of the raddest projects on the web...I lurk a lot!Anyway my point is: almost nothing worth having is easy...and you may think the body of your car is not worth having and you could be right but finishing what you started is the important part! Idk...maybe you need to cut your losses but had I stopped submitting photos to surf mags when my shit wasn't good enough and hadn't slogged through the tough times I would have never known how awesome it felt to have the same photo editor who had rejected my work tell me I was one of the best water photogs in California!Your car is awesome! Your level of pride in your work will skyrocket if you continue...that's my two cents!

• Like 1