'72 Shakotan Z RB20DET

The summit machine ones you might have to call on.

http://summitmachine.com/index.php?p=customParts&cp=tc

These you can order online and have 3 stages instead of 2 but the other ones look beefier to me.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/TC-DUB.html

I plan on using a few when I start caging my green truck.

• Like 1
  • Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck, some of those are pretty insane! I ended up ordering the basic unions from your original post, and now I'm anxiously anticipating their arrival. I got some more of the cage work done this evening. Here you can see how I've begun boxing in the door bars to where they bolt down towards the floor. They're not right against the floor because they'd interfere with my lovely new carpets - and we can't be havin' that!

DriverFloor2-1.jpg

DriverFloor2.jpg

I got the passenger door bar rigged up, and added a diagonal bar in the main hoop because they look tough! Strategically placed nitrous bottles...

PassengerCage.jpg

HatchCage.jpg

DriverCage.jpg

The door bars will look SO much prettier with the new unions.

Had a bit of an epiphany and realizations of expectations while I was working on this heap the other night. In short - I need a new shell. But, the intelligent thing to do is finish the car as I have planned and enjoy it for a few years while I build a new shell. I really truly want an IMMACULATE shell to start with that will be worthy of a caustic bath, full stitch-welded chassis, full cage, base clear from top to bottom; the whole works.

The nice thing about this build is that most of the money is in transferable parts, and obviously my time spent. That's not to say that I've wasted my time and efforts on this chassis, because I really don't think I have. This has been the biggest project and learning experience I've ever taken on in my life, and I know I've still got months and months of work ahead of me to complete this thing to my standards. I do feel better knowing that while I get to enjoy the fruits of my labor with this shell, that in a few years down the road I'll be able to reshape it from a new shell that will be built to last as long as I will.

Enough with my sob story, though, here's some efforts from the weekend. Finished up my passenger side bar, and boxed in the mounts.

PassengerBox2.jpg

Began prepping the shit box for paint. This car isn't going to be getting any expensive products, unfortunately. I stripped all the old door and hatch seals, removed the windshield and hatch. The quarter windows and hatch glass are going to be recreated from Lexan. One of my favorite things about new cars is fresh glass, so I'll be replacing my windshield while I'm at it. I put all the multi-link in and pushed it outside to strip 6 layers of paint and about 100lbs of epoxy off the car. Found my final ride-height, and took some teaser pictures.

Hey, lookit that handsome chap sandin' away! ;)

ZSanding.jpg

OutsideSanding.jpg

OutsideNoFender.jpg

The best thing about the new lower arms is that I can actually get my wheels stood up.

RearCamber.jpg

I'll be up a couple nights this week to take the entire thing down to the metal. Hopefully get it painted within the month.

• Like 1

UPS dropped these off for me this afternoon!

Union%202_zps112546ce.jpg

I had to spend a couple extra hours at work this evening, so I didn't get as much done as I would have liked, but it's somethin'. Got both the door bars finished. I can now pull the whole cage for powdercoat!

Union%201_zpsdefd54f4.jpg

Union_zps00fcd389.jpg

Stuck the light outside and got busy taking some more of 'er down to the metal.

Sanding_zpsad9491d7.jpg

Progress will resume again tomorrow!

• Like 2

Car looks awesome in pieces and on the ground!

I'd prefer it wasn't in pieces, haha! But, thank-you!

very nice roll cage !! worth a good pita ! ahah

good work on the striping too ;)

Thank-you! I'm really psyched on how it came out. I'm sure the strength of this floppy shell increased 10-fold by having this thing in there.

are you actually going to be running nitrous?

I'd like to say yes - except likely not with this incarnation. Plans include gangster manifold, a small billet-wheeled, ball-bearing top mount turbo, AEM EMS, and nitrous. I'd like to see 280 - 300whp, plus a 50 shot for shits and giggles.

wtf???

new stripping method?

ya why is your Z on fire?

Lol, that's great. Sometimes I've felt like doing that to mine a few times to mine. It'll probably have a cool effect on the hood. I want to see oics of it now

I was using my torch to get the epoxy warm enough to separate from the body, and then acetone and brake clean was added to the mix. Figured it could make for a cool picture. I don't think I was wrong, haha.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Had to dig this thing back from the depths of hell. I've still been slaving on it, just nothing worth taking pictures of. I've ordered a crap ton of parts, just slowly trickling in now. Good news is that my diff finally arrived at Whitehead from Japan! :)

411.jpg

The best part? 4.11's !

4112.jpg

Got a solid diff mount for 'er, also.

SolidDiffMount.jpg

About to do a little more online shopping while I'm in the spending mood, haha!