'72 Shakotan Z RB20DET

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of my valuables are stored inside, courtesy of a spare bedroom, haha!

PartsRoom.jpg

Here's a couple shots of it outside for good measure.

ZDriverFront-1.jpg

ZDriver-1.jpg

Nice profile.  It does look nice, sports/race stance. Wonder why you call it Shakotan, that I know Shakotan is something else, more of a circus car with long diesel bus exhaust pipes and cfinderella gear shifters. Hope you do not go that way.

• Like 2
Wonder why you call it Shakotan, that I know Shakotan is something else, more of a circus car with long diesel bus exhaust pipes and cfinderella gear shifters. 

That's actually "bosozoku" you are thinking of.  ^_^

"Shakotan" just means (and is loosely translated as) "low car".  :thumbup:

Shakotan (シャコタン) is a style of car originating in Japan in the 1970s. A shakotan car has an extremely lowered body, and, in Japan, it is usually owned by a Yanki (a sort of gang-like people who are mostly living in the rural areas).
  • Like 1
Hey be careful using por-15 on anything that will be exposed to sun light its very very uv sensitive they make an additive that will help but with out it the paint will turn green and not prevent rust ( its main purpose ) just a little heads up looking great though

Just make sure you get POR-15 "Frame" paint for areas exposed to UV /direct sunlight.

I used the non UV ray POR-15 for areas under the car, but to be safe, later on I used only the UV resistant ( I believe it is the "frame" paint, will double check.)

It is correct the non UV resistant POR-15 will end up peeling off, but again, get the UV resistatnt one and you are fine.

• Like 1

Not to thread jack but I tried to look up the "oso" metal prep stuff that someone mentioned a few pages back and couldn't find anything. anyone know of anything else for preventing bare metal from rusting? 

rustbucket, have you been treating the z with diesel or anything? or are you just keeping it inside?

I ask because some all of the panels on my dime are hurtin and I'm considering just stripping them down and running the bare metal/rat look since I don't really think I'm gonna be able to do the proper bodywork to this shell. basically I'm in the same boat with my dime as you are with your z, the shell I have now is real rough so I'm going to eventually switch everything to a nicer shell but i'm thinking about doing the bare metal thing until then

ps, nice car lol, makes me want to get off my ass and get to work on my z haha

Not to thread jack but I tried to look up the "oso" metal prep stuff that someone mentioned a few pages back and couldn't find anything. anyone know of anything else for preventing bare metal from rusting? 

rustbucket, have you been treating the z with diesel or anything? or are you just keeping it inside?

I ask because some all of the panels on my dime are hurtin and I'm considering just stripping them down and running the bare metal/rat look since I don't really think I'm gonna be able to do the proper bodywork to this shell. basically I'm in the same boat with my dime as you are with your z, the shell I have now is real rough so I'm going to eventually switch everything to a nicer shell but i'm thinking about doing the bare metal thing until then

ps, nice car lol, makes me want to get off my ass and get to work on my z haha

My garage is totally enclosed, and insulated pretty well for the most part, so there's really low moisture in there. I haven't done a thing to the panels since I've stripped them and there's not a single sign of oxidization happening on any of the panels. I'm sure under different circumstances it wouldn't take long for the metal to get hazy.

If you're gonna have it outside I would definitely treat it with diesel, or some take some sort of preventative measure to protect the exposed metal.

I see. Not an expert on japanese terminology, but I sure do know the styles.  Different strokes for different folks.

Definitely, but I do like the boso cars quite a bit!

This car really isn't low enough, or have stretchy enough tires on wider wheels to be a 'shakotan' car, but it's definitely got a faux-shakotan look going on, haha. I just needed a little bit of flavour in the title after swapping names from 'My '72 Shitbucket'!

Yay for progress man! Now sell me your wats lol

Sell me your wheels they said. It'll be for the best they said...

Sells wheels, never drives car. :(

Wow, really good build you have going on here. Makes me want to get myself a welder that much more. Props!

Cheers! Get one. You will definitely not regret it.

Definitely, but I do like the boso cars quite a bit!

This car really isn't low enough, or have stretchy enough tires on wider wheels to be a 'shakotan' car, but it's definitely got a faux-shakotan look going on, haha. I just needed a little bit of flavour in the title after swapping names from 'My '72 Shitbucket'!

I like your  car. Does not have to conform to any definitions, only to your taste, it is your car.

What size wheels/tires are those??  Too many pages to schroll back....I like that set up, never liked the ultra big diametre chromed wheels with ultra thin tires, this is what I favour, good size wheels and good sticky rubber on black wheels.

Thanks very much, dude. I used S13 Megan's with a kit I found over on the Hybrid Z forum a year or two ago. Definitely cut the perches down if you're trying to get low. I sectioned my threaded perches a substantial amount to get the car as low as it is on S13 stuff.

How much did you cut the perches ? And If I cut them i'm I obliged to put adjustable control arm ?

I like your  car. Does not have to conform to any definitions, only to your taste, it is your car.

What size wheels/tires are those??  Too many pages to schroll back....I like that set up, never liked the ultra big diametre chromed wheels with ultra thin tires, this is what I favour, good size wheels and good sticky rubber on black wheels.

Thank-you! I'm actually putting wider R1R's on the back of this thing after the initial burnouts. 205/50 on a 15x9.5J, and it will have a 225/45 on a 15x10J (currently a 215/50).

How much did you cut the perches ? And If I cut them i'm I obliged to put adjustable control arm ?

A few inches, I believe. Adjustable arms are a necessity if you plan to lower your car and maintain any sort of alignment. Your car will drive like absolute garbage without 'em.

• Like 1

This mount will be the death of me. Just kidding, but it's been a little frustrating - hopefully it'll be all done with tomorrow. I left the diff sitting on the crossmember with a piece of wood jammed underneath to keep the weight off the bolts in the diff cover.

The nuts where the new mount is supposed to bolt in are totally fucked. Opposed to welding in new ones, I've just bitched some scrap bolts in to the holes to keep the mount in place while I weld the the damned thing in. I've cut the e-brake tabs from above it, so dropping the diff out is a piece of cake. I would have finished it up this evening, but I wanted to ride my bike and then go shoot some pool. Update will follow tomorrow - but here's where I left it.

Everything is just loosely bolted up so I could get it all in the right spot.

DiffMountHeadache_zps0e0df540.jpg

HeadacheMounting_zps64775cc1.jpg

• Like 1
Hey man! its good to see that the car is slowly coming together now! now that i'm starting over, i have to catch up to YOU! lol

Fancy seein' you here! I was genuinely so bummed to see that your car got nicked. You picked up awfully quick where it left off, though - I've got faith!