'72 Shakotan Z RB20DET

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lookin' great!!

Thanks, man! I'm trying to plug away at it while I can.

Freaking awesome work! Just curious, did you keep tabs on the running total for this project so far? That's a lot of cash...

Thanks very much.

I've got an invoice or receipt for everything last thing I've bought for this car. I'm sure I could have shaved some dollars here and there, but I didn't want to put a budget on it if I didn't have to. I look at it as incentive to go to work every day! ;)

Got a little shit done last week and yesterday afternoon. Blew the rear suspension apart for powdercoating some stuff, multi-link, and rear discs. This has me kicking myself for half-assing things the first time. Oh, well - live and learn!

Blown apart awaiting bearings, brakes, and paint.

RearKnuckles.jpg

Dropped out for 4.11's and paint.

Differential2-1.jpg

Yanked this pile for final assembly.

MotorOut.jpg

And, here's a look at that shifter plate I had made.

TomeiPlate2.jpg

TomeiPlate.jpg

That's all for now until parts arrive. I'm getting really anxious for wiring and all that other fun stuff. I wanna start this shit!

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't done a ton, but I've been piecing little shit together. I put in an order to Black Dragon last week for a fresh interior, and a bunch of misc. bulbs, as well as a couple nuts and washers I needed for my rear hubs. On top of that, I'm still waiting for my brakes to arrive!

I yanked some stuff off my motor this afternoon briefly to try and finish this silly heater core loop. I've gotta get the coolant return from here...

TurboReturn.jpg

To here...

BlockHose.jpg

Which connects to here...

Waterneck.jpg

Without using gross things that resemble hardline...

TurboCoolant.jpg

I began piecing the parts together last week, and while not cost efficient, it's gonna look a whole lot prettier than some brass barbs and rubber hose. Trust.

This is some cool stuff and a rad build. I finished the dash and everything works,AMAZING! My next project will be rear disc brakes. I see Lambo doors in the future also. I can't keep up with your rad build, but it is continuing to inspire me.

Thanks, man! I'm kind of wishing I went with rear Wilwoods, but I'm happy to just have rear discs.

Looking good man. I know what its like to check an item off the list and know you still habe a shit load of stuff to get... I got the same background on my Mac ;)

Thank-you! These lists are never ending, haha. I finally feel like I'm getting down to the last of 'em, though.

This is some cool stuff and a rad build. I finished the dash and everything works,AMAZING! My next project will be rear disc brakes. I see Lambo doors in the future also. I can't keep up with your rad build, but it is continuing to inspire me.

Lambo doors on a z? go die...... :confused: :poke:

• Like 1

Some good shit happening this week! Brakes showed up, got my heater core loop figured out, and my Black Dragon order shipped out.

Out with the old, and in with the new!

HeaterCoreDelete.jpg

This lovely fitting gets me from the turbo's 5/16" hardline to -6AN for ease of plumbing back in to the coolant loop.

CoolantReturn.jpg

The package I'd been waiting for!

BrakeKit.jpg

I can't get over how light these front calipers are!

Wilwoods.jpg

Sort of wish I'd done away with an ebrake and just gone with the Wilwoods in the rear also. Oh, welp!

RearCalipers.jpg

Brackets.jpg

I'll be at the shop one night this week to go and mock all this bullshit up. :D

Looks awesome. How big are those front rotors?

You got me thinking though...

Any way you can combine:

http://arizonazcar.com/parkingcaliper.html

and:

http://datsunpartsllc.com/cart/index.php?p=product&id=167&parent=11

I guess I don't really understand how that parking caliper mounts, but I imagine it ends up something like this? I'm sure you and your fab skills can whip something up. ;)

audi-rs6-audrs603-Au.jpg

• Like 1

Any way you can combine:

http://arizonazcar.c...ingcaliper.html

and:

http://datsunpartsll...d=167&parent=11

I guess I don't really understand how that parking caliper mounts, but I imagine it ends up something like this? I'm sure you and your fab skills can whip something up. ;)

bro...we are on the same track. I was thinking about buying another set of dllc brakets and making them "fit" with my already existing bracket to have dual calipers. The azc ebrake caliper is a cable type right?

Any way you can combine:

http://arizonazcar.c...ingcaliper.html

and:

http://datsunpartsll...d=167&parent=11

Thanks, man! Those are 12" rotors in the front.

I wish I was capable of machining stuff - but making a bracket like that is a little out of my league, haha. My thinking behind having the Wilwoods in the rear is that I'm not terribly concerned about having an ebrake.

What you've suggested would definitely work if somebody was good with aluminum!

bro...we are on the same track. I was thinking about buying another set of dllc brakets and making them "fit" with my already existing bracket to have dual calipers. The azc ebrake caliper is a cable type right?

Yeah, that one in the link is a cable type.

Slow progress while I continue to spend car money on tattoos, haha! Got some stuff in the other day, and this afternoon, though...

Extended studs for the rear. These ARP's are a different thread pitch, which means I get to buy another set of ricey lugs!

ARPStuds.jpg

Also, I gave that digital wideband to a friend, as I didn't realize they came analog. I'm just going to get one of these instead, as they don't have the lame flashing lights, and it'll fit in a little better.

30-5130B.jpg

Needed a hook-up to my intake piping for my IAC, so I rigged that up this evening.

IACHookup.jpg

Spent the whole evening stripping my motor down and painted the block - something I should have done ages ago. Nothing fancy, just a clean cast iron colour. Once I pick-up my new clutch and place the order for my fly wheel I should be ready to drop my motor in for starting. :mellow:

Assembly2.jpg

Also put that new timing belt cover on. Ouuuuu, RB20 - Skyrine!

Assembly1.jpg

Brought a bunch of stuff home for media blasting and powdercoating. Should probably have my alternator rebuilt while she's off. Why the fuck not, right?