'72 Shakotan Z RB20DET

Finished the bracing, although, not the same as I had originally planned. You can see from the penetration through the floor, that I just ran it front to back on either side of the cell.

FuelCellBracing.jpg

Begun making hangers for the cell to bolt to.

CellBrackets2.jpg

CellBracketDetail.jpg

Not bad for eye-balling it, right?

CellBrackets.jpg

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like this thread has lost some of it's identity now.

The new title states what it is, like stating that a human is a homosapien.

The old title states it's personality and individuality, like saying that human is Fred.

Make any sense?

Anyway's, love the car. Street driven or track motivated?

• Like 1

I like the new titile, while it does state what it IS, every Shakotan car is different and has it own personality... besides, have you ever told someone "stop being such a homosapien!" ...its fun... try it sometime...

I feel like this thread has lost some of it's identity now.

The new title states what it is, like stating that a human is a homosapien.

The old title states it's personality and individuality, like saying that human is Fred.

Make any sense?

Anyway's, love the car. Street driven or track motivated?

It's still the same car, I swear! And, this car is going to be 100% street driven - I'm in it for the girls, man!

I like the new titile, while it does state what it IS, every Shakotan car is different and has it own personality... besides, have you ever told someone "stop being such a homosapien!" ...its fun... try it sometime...

I feel like that's on the same level as telling somebody their epidermis is showing.

NICE WELDS! The Build is the thing!

Thanks, pal!

Be careful with those mounts... The body of the car will flex and that aluminum cell will crack quite easily if there is no way that flex is absorbed...

I put the cell on top of some 1/2 inch foam strips to isolate it a bit from the flex and my cage for the cell was pretty resilient as well... I just don't want you to crack that cell and drop fuel everywhere.

Here's some pics that show what I ended up doing... one you can see the foam on the tops and side as well...

Z134.jpg

Z95.jpg

Z94.jpg

Z96.jpg

Z156.jpg

Be careful with those mounts... The body of the car will flex and that aluminum cell will crack quite easily if there is no way that flex is absorbed...

I put the cell on top of some 1/2 inch foam strips to isolate it a bit from the flex and my cage for the cell was pretty resilient as well... I just don't want you to crack that cell and drop fuel everywhere

That ended up rather tidy, Mission. I dig the latch, also - I'd like to find one just like that.

I get what you're saying, but that's also why I braced the rear floor pan as I did. Both my rear towers will be tied together from my harness bar as well as the cage, so I can't imagine it could ever flex it enough to start breaking those tabs. I had intended to cut up an old bushing to use as an isolator between the tank tabs and the mounting brackets, similar to the way they do on radiators, just to be safe.

It's simply in there as a test fit for the lines, it'll be in and out plenty more times with better hardware for the final install.

Wow, holy super fab skills ratman.

This could be the best z I've eer read about

Haha, there's nothing crazy goin' on - grab a welder and an angle grinder and you could do the same, I'm sure!

Just thought I'd chime in and say I just now read your build thread (not sure why I haven't till now lol) and this thing is fucking awesome, I can even overlook the RB20 :P (even though I would have run the Star Specs all around, 205/50 on a 10 is no big deal! haha)

puts my shit to utter shame.

major props dude!

• Like 1

I drool more and more each time I open this thread. Great work man. I'm ready for you to drive it so I can see how that half rad holds up to the rb. I wanna run one in my truck with my KA.

If I could have found a dual core with the right dimensions, I probably would have just run one of those. If this thing doesn't stand up - though, I think it will - I'll just have a rad made to my specific dimensions. We'll see, though!

Haha! Trust me the girlies love em :D

My girlie loves mine and it's a worse piece of shit then this ever was!

And agreed on the flexing cracking the cell. I've seen it a happen a bunch. That's why I kept my original tank :lol:

The door is a dragster fuel door from jerry bickel racing.. To pass tech the cell needs to be separated, so I threw that into my design to accomplish it. I will probably have to separate the vent and return line as well with covers, but that's easy to fab and rivet in.

Most people that come into the shop for a broken tank usually get another, pad the top where it meets the underside of the frame, and then run a braided fuel line to the gas cap for the clearance issues. Might be worth a shot?

Looks like the isolators will go in for sure then, haha. Thanks for the heads up.

Just thought I'd chime in and say I just now read your build thread (not sure why I haven't till now lol) and this thing is fucking awesome, I can even overlook the RB20 :P (even though I would have run the Star Specs all around, 205/50 on a 10 is no big deal! haha)

puts my shit to utter shame.

major props dude!

Thanks, dude! Haha, I'd prefer to have a little less stretch - but I think it looks pretty modest with the 50 walls.

If I could have found a dual core with the right dimensions, I probably would have just run one of those. If this thing doesn't stand up - though, I think it will - I'll just have a rad made to my specific dimensions. We'll see, though!

What we used to do for our Evos was run a dual or triple pass quality Honda radiator. You can get them relatively cheap and are pretty small which makes them good for swaps. Since they were about half the width of the original core, it allowed us to slide to over away from the exhaust manifold (since ego manis are right in front) keeping temps pretty low. Then we would weld on a threaded collar on the core and thermo housing to run steel braided line for the custom route.