'72 Shakotan Z RB20DET

Might want to double check with the fuel cell manufacturer on that foam, IIRC some of those cells have fuel resistant foam inside to help reduce sloshing when they're used in race applications ... so unless there's another reason you want it out, you may not *have* to remove it (though at this point it's out ... so maybe that's a non-issue).

I was about to say the same thing. Many cells are suppose to have the foam in it. Thats why it was difficult for you to remove it... youre not suppose to lol. Ive had it in the four cells Ive run on my vehicles. I would say put it back in personally.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This came out of a drag cell meant for leaded fuels - this black stuff has a bad tendency to break down and clog filters really well. A friend's running the same cell in a similar application with no adverse effects. I trust Venice enough to take his word for this cell - I can't speak for other ones, though!

There are different foam compositions for different applications, and as you pointed out I would not want to run that foam in an unleaded system. All my cells were made with the need for the foam and none of it ever broke down and seemed to stabilize my fuel delivery out a bunch while driving hard. Im not saying you cant run a cell without foam, just that a lot of them are suppose to have it in.

Im sure you would have more adverse effects keeping it in the cell than if you removed it since its not made for the fuel youre using. When I shifted to full time e85 I had to change foams... I dont know what it is, but Im always a fan of beefed up fuel systems. Thats the one thing I feel Im going to miss the most in keeping my motor non-EFI.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

We began putting a cage in the Skyline yesterday. Got me awful excited to cage the Z - also got me motivated to work on this 'car'. The fact that my downpipe arrived today certainly helped things. This is an 80mm downpipe intended for an A31 Cefiro of all things. Just need to clock the bend 180 and it'll fit great.

Downpipe80mm.jpg

Finally bought a filter for the turbo inlet.

IntakeFilter.jpg

And, just to make sure they know what size they're making this driveshaft.

Driveshaft2.jpg

This is where math came in handy.

FuelCell3.jpg

Started jacking it up...

FuellCell1.jpg

... Success!

FuelCell2.jpg

Have to grab a hole saw big enough for the cap before I drill the center out, then I can weld flat stock under the floors back there to mount the cell from, and to keep the floor stiff.

So precise... I just cut the whole rear floor out and made a box for the cell... Messy, but it worked.

I'm going back and forth regarding front and rear lcas... why did you choose TTT ones personally? I also like the Modern Motorsports Rear LCAs due to the ability to adjust negative camber out a bit in the back by bringing the bottoms in, as I don't think the TTT or others allow that (Although I'm not sure you guys are concerned too much with crazy negative camber!)

There are different options out there and this setup looks cheaper in the end and pretty sweet as it combines the tension rods with the front LCAs. I'm back and forth as the TTT stuff is pretty, but this setup looks near the same and cheaper to boot.

93d6b65d.jpg

I want to drive my car without a helmet, so I never considered more than the autopower rear roll. With reinforced rails under the floor, the autopower bar, the square tubing across and around the cell and foaming the car up in any place I could, I hope to kill flexing and keep it more skull friendly.

You are coming along nicely... spend that money, I see it adding up there already!

So precise... I just cut the whole rear floor out and made a box for the cell... Messy, but it worked.

I'm going back and forth regarding front and rear lcas... why did you choose TTT ones personally? I also like the Modern Motorsports Rear LCAs due to the ability to adjust negative camber out a bit in the back by bringing the bottoms in, as I don't think the TTT or others allow that (Although I'm not sure you guys are concerned too much with crazy negative camber!)

There are different options out there and this setup looks cheaper in the end and pretty sweet as it combines the tension rods with the front LCAs. I'm back and forth as the TTT stuff is pretty, but this setup looks near the same and cheaper to boot.

I want to drive my car without a helmet, so I never considered more than the autopower rear roll. With reinforced rails under the floor, the autopower bar, the square tubing across and around the cell and foaming the car up in any place I could, I hope to kill flexing and keep it more skull friendly.

You are coming along nicely... spend that money, I see it adding up there already!

I would have preferred to not have a halo because I'll have to get some of that tacky spongy shit that they wrap it in because I don't need girls smashing their heads off the thing. I seriously doubt this car will ever see a track - I just don't need it flexing to pieces when I'm driving like an ass hole.

A friend had referred me to the TechnoToy products, and I honestly didn't look much further than that. Their control arms did everything I needed them to do, and looked beefy as hell. The rear arms do allow you to adjust camber quite dramatically actually, in the same way as most of the other rear A-arms on the market.

Let's not talk about the money, haha! :crying: Let's just say this car gives me a reason to go to work most days.

Just found this today! I'm starting to get motivated on my 510 again and seeing what you are doing is about to get me off my ass. I shed a small tear when you where bummed then got back in on it, almost like a chick filck for car guys. Great work I can't wait to see the rest.

:thumbup:

Just found this today! I'm starting to get motivated on my 510 again and seeing what you are doing is about to get me off my ass. I shed a small tear when you where bummed then got back in on it, almost like a chick filck for car guys. Great work I can't wait to see the rest.

:thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words. This thing and I have a love hate relationship. Right now it's nothing but love.

• Like 2

A friend had referred me to the TechnoToy products, and I honestly didn't look much further than that. Their control arms did everything I needed them to do, and looked beefy as hell. The rear arms do allow you to adjust camber quite dramatically actually, in the same way as most of the other rear A-arms on the market.

I'm wanting to reduce the camber a bit, even while going pretty low, which is only really possible by bringing in the bottom of the wheel on the control arm, which only a few LCAs even allow. Most will get a little adjustment in, but a whole lot out, and on car toe adjustments. I like the TTT stuff as well, but total price on the fronts looks to be at least 100 more with their setup, which bums me out. Their rears look sweet as well, I just don't know how much they let me pull in the bottom to dial camber down a bit. (Sounds horrible to comic and jalen I bet), but I don't want massive crazy camber. Pushing out on all the setups looks really easy.

I don't know how much I have in mine, but you look to be catching up quick!

I'm wanting to reduce the camber a bit, even while going pretty low, which is only really possible by bringing in the bottom of the wheel on the control arm, which only a few LCAs even allow. Most will get a little adjustment in, but a whole lot out, and on car toe adjustments. I like the TTT stuff as well, but total price on the fronts looks to be at least 100 more with their setup, which bums me out. Their rears look sweet as well, I just don't know how much they let me pull in the bottom to dial camber down a bit. (Sounds horrible to comic and jalen I bet), but I don't want massive crazy camber. Pushing out on all the setups looks really easy.

I don't know how much I have in mine, but you look to be catching up quick!

I don't want want any crazy camber, either. I'm pretty confident I could stand my wheel up to almost .5 of a degree without any rubbing issues that I could foresee. I won't know until I get it on a rack and adjust everything, but I hope to not have more than a couple degree's. A half-decent contact patch would be nice with the power figure I'm sort of shooting for.

I think I have about $15K in the initial purchase, wheels, and parts so far. Give or take another couple for consumables around the shop, and odds and ends. I'd guesstimate at about $20K totally finished at where I'd be very content with the finished product.

just read this whole thing (and my wife is pissed that it took me so long lol)

and all i can say

holy shit, good job

now, how does someone come into your job? lol i hate scraping the bottom of the barrel, i cant even put gas in my tank lol

just read this whole thing (and my wife is pissed that it took me so long lol)

and all i can say

holy shit, good job

now, how does someone come into your job? lol i hate scraping the bottom of the barrel, i cant even put gas in my tank lol

Thank-you! It's not like I do anything special for a living, haha. I try and be diligent with my savings, and if I'm in to something bad enough, then I'll make the money work for me somehow.

Test fit...

FloorBrace3.jpg

Drilled some holes to tack it from up up, then followed with beads in segments underneath.

FloorBrace2.jpg

FloorBrace.jpg

Still have to miter a couple more pieces, and finish the braces like this underneath.

Braces.jpg

Hoping to have fueling done this weekend. Neat, huh?

Thank-you! It's not like I do anything special for a living, haha. I try and be diligent with my savings, and if I'm in to something bad enough, then I'll make the money work for me somehow.

compared to my career, what you do is damn near rocket science lol i used to be a nuclear engineer, but i messed up my back, plus a long line of other crap, and here i am lol startin form the wheels trying to climb my way back out, hopefully before the zombie apocolypse or rapture or end of the earth, which ever one of those is supposed to come first :confused:

Um....i think its time to change your thread title. Cuz shitbucket is very nonexistent in this thread, maybe jalens (jk), but not this one lmao.

It will forever be a royal piece of doo-doo in my eyes. I kinda like it, though. :)

*Edit: I will heed your advice, however.*

• Like 1