Sealiks Shit

Sealik

Thanks....another SU bookmark... :D

Most likely have to notch for dizzy(?) and the hose from the block, for the PCV valve

Drill a couple of holes for the return springs etc..

Also drilled two 3/8 inch holes in the head for IM coolant flow

Probably paint the shield a high heat black

Check exhaust clearance as well.

Black absorbs heat. Silver is better, chrome best for reflecting radiant heat.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check exhaust clearance as well.

Black absorbs heat. Silver is better, chrome best for reflecting radiant heat.

Yeah...was gonna 'throw' the EM on the head and check for clearance....should fit...but....

Somewhat scaled from this.....

SCAN0204.jpg

Good call on the paint scheme.

Might just strip the paint off of it....

'Buffed' the paint off the shield and made a few more cuts.

Shield cleared the EM after I bent a tab up to mount the return springs.

Used a throttle cable bracket that came with a Weber kit.....will have to insulate the throttle cable...it's about 1 inch away from EM in one spot.

Now on to the plumbing.... :D

SUlinkagesetup.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The 4 bolt L6 SUs are up to 46mm in size....whereas the 2 bolt L4 are 38, other than the Roadster I believe.

This does create some variables though....linkage, adapter/insulaters and possible heat shield need to be addressed

While we're waiting for some pics.....here's my 4 screw, 4 bolt, L6 46mm SUs on a 2 bolt L4 38mm intake

Pretty clean for a noob.... :D

SUcarblinkage2.jpg

I didn`t want to get in trouble with the for sailing rules..

Yes i`ve seen this ........i may not post here (ever ) but i am definitely lurking here all the time.ninja.png

I got a L18 SSS manifold for free but carbs are completely destroyed from sitting out in the rain..

---------Hello .Your on with Sealiks shit ..Please turn your radio down..

Hi Sealik??

--------Yes

Long time lurker first time poster..

biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
I didn`t want to get in trouble with the for sailing rules..

Yes i`ve seen this ........i may not post here (ever ) but i am definitely lurking here all the time. :ninja:

I got a L18 SSS manifold for free but carbs are completely destroyed from sitting out in the rain..

---------Hello .Your on with Sealiks shit ..Please turn your radio down..

Hi Sealik??

--------Yes

Long time lurker first time poster..

biggrin.gif

Well...better a lurker...than someone that's totally oblivious to my shit.... biggrin.gif

Anywho....was looking around for some possible cures for the throttle shaft wear that affects most and or all non rebuilt SUs. I believe it's around 150 per SU to rebuild the shafts.

Sooooo.....Came across this thread on Classic Zcar.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?43184-SU-Mod-Sealing-worn-throttle-bushing

InnerThrottleSeal.jpg

OuterThrottleSeal1.jpg

Not that I'm going to utilize this method....but...got me thinking.. wink.gif

Probably use the 'cup' to cover the 1 side of the SU and figure something else out for the other.

Also...here's SublimeDatsun610s retrofit for the throttle cable pulling the 46s from the top.

aircleanercompleted2-1.jpg

Just 'talked' to Norm at Zeddsaver...(Surrey, B.C.) and was quoted a price of 100 bucks to replace all 4 bushings.

..."Self lubricating brass bushings with lifetime warranty"....

Obviously....not as 'good' as the roller bearings from Z Therapy ($325)....but....with a life time warranty on the brass bushings....who cares.

Might bite the bullet.

Just 'talked' to Norm at Zeddsaver...(Surrey, B.C.) and was quoted a price of 100 bucks to replace all 4 bushings.

..."Self lubricating brass bushings with lifetime warranty"....

Obviously....not as good as the roller bearings from Z Therapy ($325)....but....with a life time warranty on the brass bushings....who cares.

Might bite the bullet.

Excellent ! ... i would have thought this would cost much more ! I would def try it ... :cool:

its that or tune your carbs every other day or week :lol: ( was tuning mine every 1-2 weeks ... had a bad mixture needle as well :rolleyes: ... )

Check your mixture needle wear while at it ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the block back from the machinist.
New NPR pistons (again).... and bought some Hastings P (plain cast iron) rings to swap out the chrome rings.
He shaved .050 off each side of the con rod...small end.

Now the Z22 rod has the appropriate clearance on the Z24 piston....relative to stock configs

conrod.jpg

Made up another Felpro HG....that sucked at 33 bucks a pop blink.gif
The jig matches the holes drilled into my block...so...speeds up the process and makes a cleaner cut in the HG.

OuterThrottleSeal1.jpg

P5070004.jpg

hg1-1.jpg

P5070003.jpg

Zeddsaver has the 46 SUs....suppose to email me some prices by today.....but...nothing yet.
Throttle shaft bushings....etc...possible buff.... biggrin.gif
I need the 280 ZX long tail out of the 510...but I can't get at it right now....snow...(fuck).

tim1.jpg

Spring is a must......

• 3 weeks later...
You're a goonie! 4x4 it Doug.

4x4......4Dr goon would be nice.....mmmm....maybe biggrin.gif

Needed the 280Z trannie for the LZ....and could not drop it out the bottom with the L28 installed....figured I should move it to the overhead beam....

Yanked the 510 out of the tent...not good.....snow??......thought it was spring? wink.gif

Telephone pole let out a crack after hooking up one of the winches.. biggrin.gif ..whoooops.

4x4 eventually got stuck..... double snatch block was then a given.

Was a bitch...

Anywho..

A day in a life...

snow is deeper than it looks..... biggrin.gif

510.jpg

510b.jpg

510c-1.jpg

510d.jpg

510e.jpg

Figured out my throw out bearing/collar issue...thanks to all :thumbup:
Apparently I didn't have one...(maybe)... biggrin.gif

In she goes....
Long tail trannie....a bit of a bitch.

swap6.jpg

Wanted to throw the SUs in there and see how much clearance I have from the booster....more than I hought...that is good. Too tight with those 3 inch filters...besides....I still have gaskets to install, shall grab some 2.5 inch instead.
Shall run the 38/38 until the rings have seated

finallean.jpg

sortof.jpg

Have to notch the heat shield to clear the clip holding the dizzy cap on.
The fuel inlet on the front SU hits the dizzy cap....should be able to rotate the the tops 90 degrees CW to clear......would imagine the float bowl heights will not have to be re-adjusted

LZ23.jpg

SUs had the throttle shaft bushings replaced....and 1 throttle plate
Linkage was cad plated...etc

You have lots of room for the SUs, I got confused briefly, then I realized it was a 720.

Yeah...I also have those moments :D

This thread is so sweet, I enjoy reading it! Can't wait to see the "re-rebuild" finished! Awsome work!

Thanks

does that goon got papers?

Yes

That goon has been across Canada and back,When Byron owned it.

Also did a stint in ice racingWagon0003.jpgRed_Wagon_-_NS.JPG

Yeah...lots of memories and history with that goon.....no doubt the sale of parts and or should reflect on the prices... ;).... :D

sealik you need to build that goon be a shame to part it since it has papers

Good to have papers...but one has to consider the condition and availability of replacement parts...costs...etc...etc

Remember...not much is available in this locale.

But.....

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Yeah...lots of memories and history with that goon.....no doubt the sale of parts and or should reflect on the prices... ;).... :D

Good to have papers...but one has to consider the condition and availability of replacement parts...costs...etc...etc

Remember...not much is available in this locale.

But.....

:rofl:

It will bring a premium :w00t:

guys... i bought this goon from a guy that owned it about 3 after byron and just recently gave it to Doug aka Sealik - minus the drivetrain and wheels - for some other parts.

i drove it for a summer in 05 when i first bought before putting it on the hoist and having a really good look- what i found was scary! It was already toast by the time i got it, the entire car from the door sills down is just flake rust scale held together by paint. The rot was everywhere...

I held on to it in hopes of transplanting everything into a new wagon shell, but now will be transplanting the drivetrain into my snowballs chance racecar instead as goons are rare as hens teeth up here now.

Doug has tons of 720 frames... it would be a cool 4x4 project, but the cancer is too deep to resurrect it as a unibody car.

guys... i bought this goon from a guy that owned it about 3 after byron and just recently gave it to Doug aka Sealik - minus the drivetrain and wheels - for some other parts.

i drove it for a summer in 05 when i first bought before putting it on the hoist and having a really good look- what i found was scary! It was already toast by the time i got it, the entire car from the door sills down is just flake rust scale held together by paint. The rot was everywhere...

I held on to it in hopes of transplanting everything into a new wagon shell, but now will be transplanting the drivetrain into my snowballs chance racecar instead as goons are rare as hens teeth up here now.

Doug has tons of 720 frames... it would be a cool 4x4 project, but the cancer is too deep to resurrect it as a unibody car.

Wha..wha...WHAT?

Thought it just needed a slight 'buff'....then it was good to go?????

Caveat emptor.........

:rofl: