Sealiks Shit

Sealik

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it bad that I'm posting just to bump this up, because this thread has like every comprehensible answer to a 720 question a noob could ask?

Swear it should be pinned by now haha

I have to come clean....................................I've been seeing other threads.... :lol:

Most likely finish them here though....

Moar Shit...... :)

Pulled the motor.....head......No 1 piston

P1010001-5.jpg

P1010009.jpg

Rod bearings are worn and piston skirt has wear...scuffs.

P1010008.jpg

P1010010-3.jpg

Measured the piston (cleaned the crud off) the best I could with digital calipers. Stuck them over the top...down to the oil rings.

Pistons....approx...88.88

Bore.....approx....88.38....that's .4mm /.016 inch difference :blink:

Removed top ring from piston (managed to break No 2 ring :D )...slide it into bore about an inch down...gap is .012

Not sure about this...???..but the piston pin is not centered in the piston....a good 1/8 off.

So...the ring gap is within specs...but....

Measured the piston (cleaned the crud off) the best I could with digital calipers. Stuck them over the top...down to the oil rings.

Pistons....approx...88.88

Bore.....approx....88.38....that's .4 difference :blink:

Your piston is larger than the bore.

A 0.4mm is 0.015"/2 = 0.0075" clearance all the way around the piston to the wall. Supposed to be 0.001" to 0.0018" by the FSM for '84 720. At the moment that's almost 4 times past the maximum clearance.

What does the bore look like??

Removed top ring from piston (managed to break No 2 ring :D )...slide it into bore about an inch down...gap is .012

Not sure about this...???..but the piston pin is not centered in the piston....a good 1/8 off.

Top ring gap is 0.0098 to 0.0157 so your 0.012 is in the middle.

The pin should be able to slide sideways in the piston at room temp. It is a press fit in the rod end.

Your piston is larger than the bore.

A 0.4mm is 0.015"/2 = 0.0075" clearance all the way around the piston to the wall. Supposed to be 0.001" to 0.0018" by the FSM for '84 720. At the moment that's almost 4 times past the maximum clearance.

What does the bore look like??

Top ring gap is 0.0098 to 0.0157 so your 0.012 is in the middle.

The pin should be able to slide sideways in the piston at room temp. It is a press fit in the rod end.

There's the problem right there!.... :lol:

Typo error... :D

I'll snap a pic of that bore

The bore has vertical marks/scratches

P1010012-1.jpg

Wondering why they didn't press the pin,.... so it was centered...?

P1010015.jpg

P1010013-2.jpg

So...I'll assume they bored the cylinders to fit the rings...not the pistons

I'll get a local mechanic to come down and pull another piston, measure the clearances.

One can make the assumption that the oversized bore relative to piston size contributed to the wear on the rod bearings and pistons...?

Need to confirm before I lay into the machinist.... :D

The Z24 pistons are from NPR, checked their website.....and most of the piston to cylinder (total) clearances are .04mm...(?)

Like 10 times less what I measured.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=npr%20piston%20to%20bore%20clearance&source=web&cd=7&sqi=2&ved=0CFYQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gjparts.com%2Fproducts%2Fpistons%26rings%2FNPR2008Book_catalog.pdf&ei=3i2nTo_SCIvdiAK9oKzhDQ&usg=AFQjCNEcHmB0SIkYgsOrqdzWXW0bGwF3dg&sig2=m-MrfZfJH_iz9vYtW_9EPw&cad=rja

Didn't know the PN number for my pistons...so I'm 'assuming'.

Think I'll upgrade to the KA pistons

why does the piston have such bad carbon buildup on the top edge? doesnt this have limited miles?

About 4-5000 KMs I believe

http://youtu.be/1JR1onIaxRA

Overbored cylinder created blowby....gases then sucked in through the PCV valve...resulting in carbon buildup and other issues.

Just a theory.. :)

Also noticed the upper half of the rod bearing is worn at the backside....whereas the lower half of the bearing is worn at the front, confirming the piston/rod moving back (pivoting) and forth in cylinder.(?)

Initial compression test before I fired it up was 112-125

Wondering why they didn't press the pin,.... so it was centered...?

P1010015.jpg

P1010013-2.jpg

...."The wrist pins on many pistons are offset slightly so as to load the piston slightly to one side. This reduces piston noise as the piston approaches top dead center (TDC) on its compression stroke, then passes over TDC and starts down on its power stroke. "...

Checked some other pistons I have lying around..pins are offset also

...."The wrist pins on many pistons are offset slightly so as to load the piston slightly to one side. This reduces piston noise as the piston approaches top dead center (TDC) on its compression stroke, then passes over TDC and starts down on its power stroke. "...

Checked some other pistons I have lying around..pins are offset also

Doug the pin is offset is to the spark plug side of the piston and not toward the rad or flywheel along the pin length. It's only a mm or less and this is why pistons have a notch that goes to the front to place them properly.

• 1 month later...

Sooooooo....update biggrin.gif

Bought some 46mm 240 SUs on a Lynx manifold...was thinking of using it for the LZ23...but...the intake runners are a lot smaller than the NOS intake posted above. Take quite a bit of grinding...and won't be able to 'aug' very deeply into the IM/runners.

46mm-manifold2.jpg

Difference between the 2

P1010034-1.jpg

P1010035-1.jpg

Found some purple heart wood for the 38-46 insulators....forgot how hard that shit is blink.gif
The aluminum was easier to grind... biggrin.gif

PC170011.jpg

PC170012.jpg

Test fit...looking through....perfect

PC170009.jpg

PC170010.jpg

PC170013.jpg

PC180014.jpg

Now just finish the heat shield

No doubt have to find different needles for the SUs....they are fitted with RAs.
Seems they are just about the richest you can run.

Not sure where I got this info but....the common needles for the (stock?) 240 are...from lean to rich...
MC, KW, RB, and RA.
Soooo...I need to find some fatter needles...any info on the aforementioned is much conducive biggrin.gif

Linkage welded and installed with Hitachi trunnion....trunnion is loose till I make a (another blink.gif) heat shield. Then I can configure the throttle cable/linkage, which will be mounted to the shield.

Figured I should find some cables to remedy the "summer SUs only" issue. biggrin.gif
Grabbed some dual throttle cables from a snowmobile....ground the ends off to slip into the SU choke fittings.
Tightened the set screws.....cycled the chokes with the 1 cable.....perfect

PC260001.jpg

SUcarblinkage2.jpg

SUlinkagesetup.jpg

The dual throttle cables are converted to 1 (cable) about 12 inched from SUs, that plastic/rubber fitting can be taken apart to access all 3 cables.
I guessing I only have about 18 inches sticking inside the cab...past the firewall.
So......if it's not long enough and or to remedy a lack of knob or lever to operate the chokes, I'll just find a cabled choke ('kit') and replace that 1 cable

PC240026.jpg

Doug you mentioned the screw with the spring ?

PC240026.jpg

Mine just has a bolt in it...

710carbs003Large.jpg

...just down from it is a blue capped fitting (wired on) and below that a PCV valve.

Where do you get vacuum advance from????

Have to say those choke cables are making me wet. I guess flattop 38s and round top 45s? have the same choke operation? May have to pick your brains on the how to in the future.

PC240029.jpg.

Doug you mentioned the screw with the spring

Mine just has a bolt in it...

Have to say those choke cables are making me wet. I guess flattop 38s and round top 45s? have the same choke operation? May have to pick your brains on the how to in the future.

Yeah...didn't have a proper sized fitting....so I'll just use the screw and spring for now.

Not sure about the choke cable operation between the 2...unless I had a good pic for comparison.

Impressed with those cables.... :D ....just have to secure those nuts so they don't migrate and change the 'cycling' length

The vaccum advance port on the SU carburetor gets it's signal from an area just upstream (atmosphere side) of the throttle plate. At idle, when manifold vacuum is high and the throttle plate is closed, the vaccum advance port receives no signal and so the distributor sees no advance from it. Crack the throttle open a bit like when you begin to accelerate (part throttle) and the vacuum port sees lots of manifold vacuum and gives you a bunch of advance at the distributor. This is also true while cruising down the freeway at part throttle. Not only do you have your mechanical advance in (30-38 degrees total or so) but the vacuum advance will give you another 10 degrees or so on top of that (40-48 degrees or so) which helps extract the maximum amount of energy out of partially filled cylinders due to part throttle running. Now stomp on the gas and manifold vacuum drops to a very low level. Vacuum advance drops off to keep the motor from pinging since the cylinders are now being filled fully, or somewhere near that. A motor would detonate in a heartbeat if there was 48 degrees advance and you were at full throttle. Here the motor only sees the mechanical advance which shouldn't be too much to cause pinging if it's set correctly.

Now if the vacuum advance was attached to the manifold instead of the carb, the distributor will see full vacuum advance at idle since there is no throttle plate to seal it off when the throttle is closed. Probably won't cause detonation at full throttle since the manifold and the carb vaccum port will see essentially the same signal at that point. Most likely you will see a much higher idle with the advance hooked to the manifold since you are getting 10 degrees or so more advance at idle versus hooking it tho the carb port. Some cars take their vacuum advance from the manifold but if you are running SU's, it's best to use the carb port.

BodyR-TopWODomeEdited.jpg

The vaccum advance port on the SU carburetor gets it's signal from an area just upstream (atmosphere side) of the throttle plate. At idle, when manifold vacuum is high and the throttle plate is closed, the vaccum advance port receives no signal and so the distributor sees no advance from it. Crack the throttle open a bit like when you begin to accelerate (part throttle) and the vacuum port sees lots of manifold vacuum and gives you a bunch of advance at the distributor. This is also true while cruising down the freeway at part throttle. Not only do you have your mechanical advance in (30-38 degrees total or so) but the vacuum advance will give you another 10 degrees or so on top of that (40-48 degrees or so) which helps extract the maximum amount of energy out of partially filled cylinders due to part throttle running. Now stomp on the gas and manifold vacuum drops to a very low level. Vacuum advance drops off to keep the motor from pinging since the cylinders are now being filled fully, or somewhere near that. A motor would detonate in a heartbeat if there was 48 degrees advance and you were at full throttle. Here the motor only sees the mechanical advance which shouldn't be too much to cause pinging if it's set correctly.
Now if the vacuum advance was attached to the manifold instead of the carb, the distributor will see full vacuum advance at idle since there is no throttle plate to seal it off when the throttle is closed. Probably won't cause detonation at full throttle since the manifold and the carb vaccum port will see essentially the same signal at that point. Most likely you will see a much higher idle with the advance hooked to the manifold since you are getting 10 degrees or so more advance at idle versus hooking it tho the carb port. Some cars take their vacuum advance from the manifold but if you are running SU's, it's best to use the carb port.

BodyR-TopWODomeEdited.jpg

Thanks....another SU bookmark... biggrin.gif

Soooooo...needed some metal for a heat shield.
I knew this traffic sign had a purpose....(a hoarding thing.. tongue.gif)...just didn't know for what until now.

PC260031.jpg

PC260033.jpg

Cut it to 'size' and drilled some holes.
Bolted the heat shield to the IM with the new gaskets and insulators, then ground the inside all smooth again.

PC260034.jpg

PC260035.jpg

PC260001.jpg

heatshield.jpg

Most likely have to notch for dizzy(?) and the hose from the block, for the PCV valve
Drill a couple of holes for the return springs etc..
Also drilled two 3/8 inch holes in the head for IM coolant flow
Probably paint the shield a high heat black