Sealiks Shit

Sealik

what size hole you going to drill???. You just need a small hole just enought to move the water.

Doug if you are thinking the holes are too close (and too big) then they are. I know it's another gasket, but could save you a gasket and worse later.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug if you are thinking the holes are too close (and too big) then they are. I know it's another gasket, but could save you a gasket and worse later.

Ya...figured as much....ordered another gasket a couple of hours ago.

Picked up a new HG...made a jig so I could fuck 'em up a little quicker... :lol:

P5070003.jpg

P5070004.jpg

P5070005.jpg

Set a hunk of wood on the block so I had a reference point to keep the drill at 90 degrees

P5070006.jpg

Came out pretty good....always a little apprehensive drilling into a block.

9 holes is HG

7 in block

P5070007.jpg

Someone asked about he LZ24 HG....so I'll post pics of the blocks as reference.

Thought I would start with the L20B.

P5040013.jpg

The Z20E, d510addict pic.

DSCN0615.jpg

Z22/Z23 with 7 holes already drilled, bottom row

P5090003.jpg

Z24.

P5080001.jpg

L head for comparison

P5040024.jpg

Z24 with LZ23 HG.

Self explanatory I guess... :D

P5080002.jpg

Psst, Doug......... (your fram is sticking out)

Good promo shot for Fram.... :lol:

I'll have to post a pic of those dissected oil filters the local parts store has...Fram....Wix and Purolator

Fram....very..very bad.

what size hole you going to drill???. You just need a small hole just enought to move the water.

let me know about your oder on Nissanparts .cc. really its the Motorsport parts that are givein you the proplems. I want to get more retainers also but might say fuck it and get the Isky ones.

http://iskycams.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=408&zenid=3f9e39f489b90afef9ec2a13c17b330b

Hainz...are these the .150-.180...?

Doesn't look good with Nissan Motorsports..so....might order them

Faith and Hope it fits

Ya...well.....not much of that left at this point... :D

Talked to Russell at Nissanparts.cc....looks like he received the wrong retainers again.

Told him to confirm by fitting a lash pad in it. If it doesn't fit...wrong ones again.

Waiting for a reply.

Also....I emailed Isky tech to confirm the application on those retainers

Man. I wish I drilled those holes on my lz22 setup. Shouldn't you blow out the passage way for any shavings from the drilling?

That shop vac was pretty powerful....I doubt much fell in.

But....gonna attach a brake line to the vac and drop it in through the holes, if it fits :D

Then...open up the plug on the side of the block and dump some water through the deck water passages/holes.

Flush it out.

I dont know about the isky retainers on how tall they are.I guess you could hit it with a disc sander if to tall . but would hate taken them all back out.

The only listing I could find for those retainers....lash pad wise are....

LC-.175

LC-.263

So....the retainer only utilizes .175 and up pads????

Told Isky tech I was going to use .180s....soooo...see what they say.

• 2 weeks later...

I think youll be fine if you get the isky retainers or the motorsport 150-180 ones if you get them

Got the Iskys....no good...looks like they need a .200+ pad.

Talked to Summit Racing....they said it should work....no reply from Isky.

Thing is....they supply a MC-175 (and up) pads for these retainers.....figured the 175 is pad size.....so...I assumed my 180s would work.....negative.

Oh well..... back to square 1....again :blink:

See here in pic....the .190-.220 retainer (blue) from Nissan Motorsports...has a .190 pad in it.

Pad is slightly above retainer.....good

The other beside it...Isky....has a .190 pad in it...pad is below/inside retainer....not good.

P5200010.jpg

Also....I see that the installed spring height has changed with the taller retainers, they sit a couple of mms higher, relative to stock.

I calculated 180 pads with the stock retainers......now I have no clue what pad I will need when I get some .150-.180 retainers.

Confused?

I am.... :D

After talking to a few people....I decided to move the PCV valve.

Was a little apprehensive on having that valve on the 1 and 2 intake runners.....apparently those pistons will run a little leaner than 3 and 4

Much better below carb....spreads it out a more evenly.

P5200005.jpg

Moved it to the stock location.

P5200006.jpg

could you put the retainer on a disc sander and trim the top abit??????

as for calutations I really never considered the stock reatiner in the calcutation . I alwasy assume it could seat different or locate the valve height different.

I always prefered the Nissan 150-180 as it was big enough but small to get a 150 in there.But I feel confident a 200 will also seat good and not fall out

Be honest on one cam I needed a about a 140 on my first motor. I saud fuck it and put a regrind in there instead knowing it needs bigger lash pads. and it worked out. the other cam work OK on this head here fpr soem reason. Fuck If I know soemtimes. I guess I just get lucky.

Jusrt depends on how much the machinist wacks off also and all that all up.

also when cam manufactures sell SUGGESTED lash pads sizes. Its a best guess on a UNCUT head. soon as there is cutting all changes.

I was thinking about that....thing is...how much is 'tolerable'?

The exhausts need a 150.....a lot to cut off.

Pic here ....the exhaust (on right) have a 190 in it..pad is below top of retainer already.

P5200010.jpg

Trim retainer.

Yup.....think I'm gonna do that....it's only about a mm that has to be removed.

Quite a bit of meat on top to work with

Gonna phone Specialty Engineering in Surrey again and rattle his brain on this endeavor.... :D

They are Datsun old school.

Soooo....trimmed the retainers.

This one was cut to .615 from .679...but decided to cut them all a little thinner, down to .605.

A little more room for adjustment..lash pad wise.

Used a bunch of pieces from a .010 feeler gauge to raise the height under a already predetermined lash pad, giving me an accurate measurement on how much to remove.

P5220012.jpg

Decided to use my belt sander...took a bit of time grinding. Always rotating and keeping equal pressure, set it down when it got a little warm and started another.

P5220015.jpg

Worked out better than expected.

P5220016.jpg

Preparation.

P5220017.jpg

Installed the retainers....set the valve lash at .07in and .09ex

Did a wipe pattern....intakes needed 180s and 190s pads...exhausts were all 150 except No 4....need to find a 140 for it......poop

You can see here (sort of) it's just catching the edge.

P5220018.jpg

All the wipe patterns are perfectly centered other than one.

P5220001.jpg