Sealiks Shit

Sealik

Maybe Specialty Engineering in Vancouver,Ca can give better service faster in a pinch

Just phoned Andy at Specialty Engineering....and he says I can run up to .170s in the stock retainer.

Also explained how to determine actual lash pad size needed.

Cut a small round piece off your sacrificial feeler gauge....010...install under lash pad....check wipe pattern.

Who would of thunk.... :D

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooooo....made up some .180 lash pads and did a wipe pattern...perfect for the intakes.

Cut up 3 pieces of .010 feeler gauge and fit under .150 lash pad.

If you notice in the pic....the meat on the lash pad above the retainer is the same.

The one on the left...intake...is shimmed up to .180.....and looks pretty much the same as the exhaust on the right, which has the .150 lash pad.

My theory is that....I can run the .180s.....no problem. More of the meat is sitting below the retainer because of the shorter valve, if anything is gonna fall apart...it will be the .150s....Correct?

lpppp.jpg

Sooooo....made up some .180 lash pads and did a wipe pattern...perfect for the intakes.

Cut up 3 pieces of .010 feeler gauge and fit under .150 lash pad.

If you notice in the pic....the meat on the lash pad above the retainer is the same.

The one on the left...intake...is shimmed up to .180.....and looks pretty much the same as the exhaust on the right, which has the .150 lash pad.

My theory is that....I can run the .180s.....no problem. More of the meat is sitting below the retainer because of the shorter valve, if anything is gonna fall apart...it will be the .150s....Correct?

Never mind....my theory is much non conducive.

If I helped everybody I would be out of parts.

Correct.... :)

But...I wouldn't ask unless I was prepared to replace and compensate.

Anywho....tomorrow I'm ordering 160,170,180 and 190 x8 lash pads.

150-180 and 190-220 retainers

Not sure how the new retainers will change the lash pad size...relative to stock ones.....sooooo...cover all the bases.

Sure as shit..though....something will run amuk.... :D

Was thinking possible coil bind on the stock inner springs..because I'm not sure if the new retainers will drop the installed spring height?

Also....I think I am going to need 4 taller retainers for the exhaust?..because the valves are longer, above the keepers.

Unless.... I take the head back and get the of the top exhaust valves/stems shortened...but....don't want to do that.

lpheight.jpg

On another note....spring has arrived....... :thumbup:

Went outside and started installing some parts...

Didn't quite have the booster in place.... :blink: ..and before I could get in the cab to bolt it in place...it dislodged and landed on the front diff...poop.... :)

Had to 'repaint'

ass.jpg

The bay is just about ready......so I decided to throw the running gear in, less the head....soon

5+ weeks before I get the retainers, lash pads and another set of springs.

Can address some of the other issues....the lean

ya-1.jpg

Installed the TC assembly...bright links are matched to marks on the sprocket and crank gear.

zip1.jpg

Pulley is not in all the way.... but the engine is at TDC

zip4.jpg

Notch on sprocket is about 3/8 inch past the mark on head

zip6.jpg

Zero slack in chain...can move crank pulley CW and CCW....sprocket mirrors movement.

zip7.jpg

I have the OE L20B TC...shall count the links between the bright/timing links and compare with the new Beck Arnley

Ya....something is amuk... :)

I checked the other OE chain....there are 22 sections.....between the bright links, counting the 1st bright link and not the last.

Same as mine.

The Z24 has 20links, L16/L18-21, Z20/Z22-19

I'm thinking the chain is just.....tight?

My book, not sure of scale...but...it looks like the sprocket notch is up to 3/16 inch ahead of the notch on the head????

That's based on a new TC....in.....How To Keep Your Datsun Alive

Changed the sprocket to the No 1 position....'better'....but still about 1/4 inch advanced.

But...the #1 cam lobs are still closer to 11 and 3...than 10 and 2

Fuck the links. Maybe an L chain on a Z crank sprocket is different. Notch below and just to the right of the etch mark determines proper cam timing. Bright links are for noobs, you're way past that. :lol:

Fuck the links. Maybe an L chain on a Z crank sprocket is different. Notch below and just to the right of the etch mark determines proper cam timing. Bright links are for noobs, you're way past that. :lol:

Are the Z and L crank sprockets different?

Hmmmmmm......I'll have a look............... :D

It's an all L TC assembly

Edit

Only difference between the L and Z TC assembly is the chain and guides.

Everything else has the same part no.

Edited by Sealik

Ah ha.....the punch mark on the new crank gear is about 2 teeth out.

Ok you sure that the motor #1 piston is at the top when you have the lower crank sprokets is off 2 teeth?

I just havent seen this myself.

sometimes people may grap different crank pulleys and they could be marked different and see a different timming plate. so I alwasy ck to make sure those are OK and were they should be when I look at the piston is TDC. But sienc I use the orginal stuff I can usually assume its OK. I havent put a new lower gear on most times they dont wear that bad. Or maybe one motor I put a new one on.

Ah ha.....the punch mark on the new crank gear is about 2 teeth out.

Ok you sure that the motor #1 piston is at the top when you have the lower crank sprokets is off 2 teeth?

I just havent seen this myself.

sometimes people may grap different crank pulleys and they could be marked different and see a different timming plate. so I alwasy ck to make sure those are OK and were they should be when I look at the piston is TDC. But sienc I use the orginal stuff I can usually assume its OK. I havent put a new lower gear on most times they dont wear that bad. Or maybe one motor I put a new one on.

Ya...the engine is at TDC.

No. 1 piston up....cam lobes at 10 and 2...set at 0 degrees, woodruff key straight up.

Crank pulley is from the Z22/24...L20B TC cover with Z22/Z24 timing tab/plate

If I put the bright link back to the original position....cam lobes are at 11 and 3, out about 1 tooth on cam sprocket

Needed to calibrate the engine oil level.

I 'measured' the engine placement in my other 4x4, looks like it sits about 1 1/4 inch lower in the rear.

And to my amazement.....it's leaning at about 8 to 10 degrees to the drivers side....thought it was around 4-6 degrees.

You can tell by the bottom of the pan for comparison....sits somewhat level.

lean1.jpg

Filled it with about 5 quarts in that 10 degree position while reading the Z22 dipstick....about an 1/8 inch past full.

Then I rotated the engine to 4 and then 8 degrees the other way....and calibrated the dipstick to match a full oil level.

I'd like to keep the engine at about 4 degrees.....just so the carb is just about level.

lean2.jpg

Not sure how the engine is going to lean yet....but I'll know what length to make the dipstick at any degree.

Shall re-glue the stopper on dipstick once the engine is placed.

lean3.jpg

Pulled the block from the engine stand in my 'kitchen' and took it outside for install.

Could not get the Beck Arnley rear seal in.....so I grabbed another (from Japan) that I had....no problemo then.

cl1.jpg

Mounted the resurfaced 240 mm flywheel.

cl22.jpg

And the Exedy clutch.

cl33.jpg

Shall drop the running gear in tomorrow

Prior pic of primed pickup.... :D

P4280013.jpg

Shimmed and bolted the trannie mount at 10 degrees.....and pivoted the pass side Z22 MM about the same

swap1.jpg

Merlin came by and helped me put the engine in....it fits....but issues.

Didn't look like it would even place properly without flattening the pan in 1 (corner) spot.

Cut a little out of the floor to swing the trannie/shifter more to the passenger side....into the 'correct' position.

In this position I have about 1/4 inch from diff on the passenger side, lots of room on drivers side

Middle of shifter is centered on the edge of the floor/tunnel opening

swap6.jpg

swap7.jpg

Good thing I put the head on.....engine/valve cover sits too high, doesn't clear the hood.

Not sure if that is a little too much lean for the carb....?

Could bring it up a bit....but that means dropping the passenger side....which in turn means to address the oil pan.

Don't want to pull it out....borrowed an air hammer.. :D ..gonna try it out on another pan I have.

Problem is....it's right on a corner of the pan, a little harder to flatten

Need to find a MM for the drivers side...and refit the other side

No fitty

swap3.jpg

swap5.jpg