There's been a shift in the Datsun Force!!!

I told Dave I wasn't going to say anything until next sunday.........but.....

I must have a thing for '64's!! My wife is a '64, Dave(best friend) is a '64, my NL is a '64, Melvin is actually a '64(titled in '65) .......and the Fairlane 500 Ranch Wagon that I now have a bill of sale for is a '64!!!!!

I can't believe I just bought another car.....and it's not a Datsun!! Those who have known me for awhile have no doubt heard(or have seen posted) comments by me about how I'd trade them all for a '64 Fairlane wgn. Well....I just bought one. I know Melvin is going away soon...not sure on the other two just yet. I wasn't actually that excited on the way home...kinda scared actually....but after talking with my childhood buddy in Spokane(he's more excited about it than I am!) I'm getting more excited. I was thinking about how comfortable it will be to cruise the highway in....then I started to think about how cramped the 510 wgn is.....that's when I felt the shift in the Datsun Force! :) We'll see what happens, but I'm just not sure I even want 3 play cars...even though I've basically gotten Paula's blessing already. In fact, when I told her about the '64, she was like....."that's the one you've always wanted, you've got the money....go buy it!!" It's like the planets aligned for this to happen.....that might be why I feel a bit apprehensive!! Anyway.....I was going to wait 'til I brought it home, but I just couldn't. Sorry, no pics until next weekend. :( oh....and it's a major project...the only kind I could afford. But, it's complete and I have the tools for the rest of it :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll see if I can put the CL ad pics here....pretty small, but it's something.

CLad1.jpg

CLad2.jpg

CLad3.jpg

CLad4.jpg

I just realized it's coming with a different hood...no chrome :( There's a replacement fender for the Dside. Pass side on the car is really straight and the roof(non-rack car) is perfect. Floor boards are toast, but the rockers and quarters are really solid. It needs a lot of work, but it's the only one I've seen in my price range. I had a couple extra minutes yesterday morning...I got a wild hair and did a search on CL for a Fairlane and this popped up. It just so happens I have the money at the moment. I've been saying I wanted one for so long, I just couldn't let it pass without at least looking at it.

I'll start a thread next sun or mon when I get it home.

Geeeeebus criminny! Looks like you could load up the family and the NL is that thing and cruise everyone down to Canby! I think everyone has that special vehicle that they either once had and sold or seen as a child (or whatever) that they'd jump at if given the opp'y. Nice score Mike. That monster I-beam is gonna come in handy for this bad boy. From L-series to big block. Schweeeeeet.

-B

Thanks guys. It's kinda funny....I'm so entrenched in Datsuns that it kinda feels like I'm cheating on my wife by getting a non-datsun. I'm not quite sure yet how I feel. At this point, I made the decision on the fact that in the last 10-15 years, this is the first time one has come up at a price I could actually afford at the time.....so I was afraid I'd be seriously kicking myself in a couple of weeks if I didn't grab it. The thought of available parts and all the creature comforts in a car I love the styling of.....kinda nice :) I'm thinking it will make an awesome tow rig!! :) But, it may take just a bit of time for me to truly decide how I feel. I can't really lose any money on it, so it was a safe enough purchase if I end up selling it. I think it will just be a bit of time....like until the title shows up in my name.....before I really bond with this rig and break the datsun death grip hold! LOL :)

Yeah Mike! Picking up projects is the best! I remember an awesome quote I heard once, "datsun's are just the canvas, which could change..." :) I had to type it into google to find out what they looked like, from what I can tell they tuck tire in stock form which IMO is pretty bad ass! Drop it another few inches and it will be damn cool. When you get her home get a few pics in the street so we can photo drop it for fun :)

Sorry no thunderbolt.... Not a fan of them at all. I was initially thinking 5.0 (not a big block fan either), but then I remembered that the q45 has a nice v8 in it :)

yep, the canvas is a changing. At least a little bit. I'll try to get the pics, then it gets parked until mend is done.

I'm really excited for you and this project. Hurry up and get it home so we can all see it!

If you want to go the 5.0 route, keep an eye out for a donor Lincoln Mark VII. They have 5.0/AOD/8.8 and were available with posi and rear discs in LSC trim. Mark VIIs also have factory air-ride. They share the Fox-body Mustang platform and can be driven home for $500-$1000 all day long.

If you want to get sexier, keep an eye out for Mark VIIIs. They come with DOHC 4.6/4R70W/8.8. They have an independent rear suspension, 4-wheel discs, air-ride and were rated at 280hp (290 in the LSC). Mine also got 28-30mpg on the freeway. Mark VIIIs can be had for $1000-$1500. I'm kinda partial to the looks of the 4.6, but they are a bit wide.

005-3.jpg

hhhmmm...good info Driven :) I'll have to sell some more brakes or a vehicle to get enough cash to get a donor. Until Mend is done, I need to hang onto some funds in case I need it for that. If I sell the wagon or the NL, all of those funds will go into the Fairlane :)

Small block motor? Six? I had to look the '64 up to find it was an intermediate size wagon which is just right. A friend had a 6th gen Country Squire Wagon. What a BOAT it was including a 460 to pull it.

It's got a frozen 260ci in it...I'll be looking to put a 5.0 in. I used to love the galaxie's, but they're just way too big....so I fell for the fairlane :) I actually owned a '64 sport coupe back in the mid '80's.....but I'm really a wgn guy....so this is perfect.

Hey, I've been a Datsun freak for over 25 years, and I also have a bagged Cadi Hearse (one of my dream cars). There is nothing wrong with having a little variety, lol.Congrats. Have fun with it. It's going to be killer.

Thanks :) The way I get sidetracked and bounce between odd projects....maybe something different is just what I need :)