My 1973 620 is Gone (Stolen)

620Bob

I have recently been working on my 620 to make it more usable. Here's some of the stuff I did:

Replaced FS4W63 tranny with a FS5W63A dogleg,

Replaced clutch disk, plate and release bearing,

Rebuilt the drive shaft,

Installed a modified tranny support and new mount,

Installed a Petronix breakerless ignition,

Had the front seats reupholstered,

Plus lots of little stuff to make the truck better and funner to drive....

Well, Saturday night, I locked the truck, like usual, and had dinner with my family only to find the truck gone (stolen) the next morning. After filing the necessary police report, I'm awaiting word as to whether it might be recovered. Since I live in the greater San Diego metropolitan area, adjacent to Tijuana, I have strong doubts about ever seeing it again. Since the truck and I have been family for 38 years (it was purchased in 1972), it's difficult to adjust to its absence. I didn't even get to say goodbye. One of my co-workers has offered to sell me his 1972 521, but it's not time to discuss other options. The insurance company got the policy number wrong over the phone, denied the claim, and now I'm are waiting for someone with sufficient authority in the insurance office to authorize reopening the claim with correct information so I can rent a car. I'm getting around by finding rides and I've decided I really dislike contract insurance adjusters.

Only got to use the "new" truck for about a week, but now I'm spoiled. So, while I wait for the phone to ring with good or bad new, does anyone have a similar story to tell.

620(less)Bob

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone have a similar story to tell.

620(less)Bob

fortunately no. only had shit stolen, idiots never could steal the whole car :lol: <_<

:fu: theives

across the border? = adios... :angry:

GL w/the ins!!!

sponging rides sux!!! ;)

To many guys here have a similar story.

Bleach had his 620 stolen after a large round of upgrades. Never saw it again. :(

My jeep was stolen a few years ago after I just got it ready for the summer...thankfully I got it back a month later, minus some bits, but I got it back. :)

Good luck, I hope you get it back unharmed...theives suck.

I Do,

I had a 59 VW bug stolen out of my driveway one night...

funny thing is, a cop stopped two guys sitting in another bug down the street from my house that night.

he questioned then and ran then for wants... then let them go... then they went and stole my car!! :rolleyes:

so the next night the same cop comes back on duty and comes over asking me some questions, goes to where one of the guys lives asking if he had seen my bug, guy says no, but his wife says "what about that bug you have in the garage...."

Turns out to be my bug and he stole it..... I got the bug back + damages, he got 18 months. :lol: :lol: :lol:

so the next night the same cop comes back on duty and comes over asking me some questions, goes to where one of the guys lives asking if he had seen my bug, guy says no, but his wife says "what about that bug you have in the garage...."

Turns out to be my bug and he stole it..... I got the bug back + damages, he got 18 months. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like that ending! :)

I believe I had someone try to steal my 521 one time. It was parted in a carport, other side of the garage from the house. I went out ot drive it one day, and nothing. No ign, or oil light. no starter click. tried the lights, they still worked. I reached under the dash, to the back of the ignition switch, and found a bunch of cut wires, some twisted together.

I guess sometimes it is a good thing that L-16 engines are cold blooded, and need a choke to start.

They didn't get my 620 KC but someone tried back when I was living in Fontana. Dented the driver door around the lock and destroyed the lock trying to get in. They couldn't get in, so they smashed the glass. Once they were in they cut out my ignition switch and tried to hotwire it unsuccessfully. I found the ignition switch under the truck. Dumb bastards back then you could start my truck with practically any Datsun key or even a pocket screwdriver. Hell if they knew anything about cars they would have brought their own switch and key.

My uncle's 521 on the other hand wasn't so lucky. It was stolen out of his driveway also in Fontana. His neighbor heard the truck start up and drive away. This is where the thief screwed up, as he is driving down the street he wound it out and cherped second. The neighbor knew my uncle would never drive the truck like that and called the cops. The police caught up to the bad guy about a mile from the house. He tried to run. Crashed it into a telephone pole. Bad guy got jail time and had to pay damages. I straightened it out the best I could using a 20ft chain, a big tree, and a $150 parts truck. My uncle drove it for 3 more years. It was never right though, the crash had put a twist in the cab and changed the angle on the left A-pillar.

i had some one try to steal one of my trucks, one day after pullint the box off my king cab i left my truck out side behind the garage over night and when i got u and opened the door my truck was gone luckly it didnt go far some one had pushed it down the street into an empty lot and down into a basement hole with the ignition switch cut and about 40 feet away. i still dont understand why sone one would take it with no glass, fenders, hood, box and being a 620 the gas tank was also gone! but they did get away with my brand new optima batterie

Bob that really blows. Chances are it may be somebody you know or a person who knew all the time & effort you were putting into the truck. Tell us what color it is & anything unusual that will set your 620 apart from others, Ill deffinately keep my eyes open for you. GL with the insuraance company.

Makes me want to go put a kill switch in the hardbody. Did that on my other hardbody when I lived in Phx. Have a hidden kill switch on the 510. I worry a little bit because it just has the go button on the dash board with a toggle. Although it has multiple toggles, and they light up regardless of if the ignition is actually on, one's the aux. fusebox. The only good thing about my 510 is it's ugly and loud. Not what you'd want to steal, as it isn't a quiet getaway car.

Sucks to hear about your 620. I'll keep my fingers crossed up here for you.

son of a bitch! that sucks man. hope she comes back to you in good shape. who in their right mind would steal a 73 620??? makes me REALLY want to put a kill switch in. might do that tomorrow after i install a radiator in a cherokee.

I put a cheap alarm on mine so I would have keyless entry, then I noticed someone was stealing gas out of it about a year ago. I wired a switch on the gas flap and 2 nights later the alarm went off. I couldnt catch the little SOB but that stopped the problem for a bit. Then it went off again about a week later and I turned Konan loose, he brought me back a pant leg!! :lol: That is my backup in action!! No more problem since!!

I put a cheap alarm on mine so I would have keyless entry, then I noticed someone was stealing gas out of it about a year ago. I wired a switch on the gas flap and 2 nights later the alarm went off. I couldnt catch the little SOB but that stopped the problem for a bit. Then it went off again about a week later and I turned Konan loose, he brought me back a pant leg!! :lol: That is my backup in action!! No more problem since!!

I like that one too!!! I'm all for an "eye for an eye", but I don't like to get even, I'd rather get one up!! :)

i have also had a truck and car with a few new parts along with various other stuff stolen recently but i know who stole them but that is another story so yeah i feel your pain

given away is a lot different that stolen, doughman. here is the email u sent about whitey:hope you have a good new year and everything works out as well as you have planned and has started out right for you they way that you wanted it to i will bring you your pinto sometime tommrow after lunch i will gather some of my bits and pieces i have scattered across your property i will just let you have the white datsun after all you bought it and have dangled it above my head ever since i dont need it and if i keep it it will just remind me of you and i want to kill all memorys of you so go ahead and crush it before the 12 so you can have some money to pay your lawyer for the divorce

not to mention that u also tried to sell it for me. i got 2 calls from ratsun members wanting to buy him. whitey was supposed to be our project together. just beacause u got hot feet and jumped the fence doesn't mean i'm gonna get rid of it.

you've also made reference about the pinto. my ? is.... do u want it. u bought it to fix for me, just like i bought whitey for u. if u want it bad enough to publicly cry about it, then its yours. no problem.... whitey is a datsunstein and its staying with me. datsunstein is a name i give u and your truck about 3 years ago. i invented it. whitey is now the ex bride of datsunstein. quit making an ass outta yourself and cool it.

you're getting everything u want so quit pouting!!!!