My 1973 620 is Gone (Stolen)

620Bob

Damn dude.. stories like that make me want to cry. I can't imagine having pretty much grown old with a truck, and then one unassuming night, it vanishes. Be like losing a close family member. My condolences. :(

I feel the same, This is a real sad thread, I have had many things stolen from me too. I feel your pain.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now please don't judge me(any more than you have) :but in my younger dumb years I have Borrowed a few rigs in my day :unsure: .It really doesn't madder what alarm you put on your ride their is away around them the ONLY way to secure you ride is a hidden kill switch the hooks directly to the coil via a alternate power source. If you run it thru the stock wiring it is still easily hot wired, put with its own power source you will be secure. with alarms you can pop the fuse with a Little trick that WILL NOT BE SHARED and off you go. Yes a alarm is a good deterrent with the little flashing light, hell i have just put the lights in to scare people off lol.

If you do end up buying a alarm get one that has a back up batt so if someone knows the trick you will still have a chance to save your ride.

Iam sorry to hear about your loss and i hope you get your truck back in 1 piece good luck

and may the Datsun gods be with you :D

All the event are in my past which i dont live anymore i work hard for everything and have paid my time for all my crimes. And yes it a past i wish i didnt have but that was then and this is now I LIVE A HONEST LIFE SYTLE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE DONT JUDGE ME BY THIS

1995 I was 19 years old, I made a trade for a 1977 Datsun 620 King Cab it had a 2.0L with a 5sd trans. Boy it was quick and a lot of fun to drive. The registration was current, but I didn't complete the title transfer because the previous owner removed all the smog and emissions equipment. So I parked the truck and didn't drive it. I was checking out local wrecking yards for emission parts. My dads truck broke down,and we couldn't drive him to work because everyone in the house worked mornings and he worked a late swing shift. So I told him dad just drive the truck to work it's registered. So he did,well he drove the truck for a week. On the Friday of that week he walked out of the lumber yard at 2:30am to drive home and the truck was gone. He called the house and I picked him up. I called the police to report the theft. The police blamed me for not registering the truck and completing paperwork. I asked the cop how is proper paperwork a theft deterrent? I asked him is it proper procedure for auto thieves to check the glove box for proper registration and only steal cars with incomplete registration? He replied don't be a smart ass son! I told him whatever!

2eDeYe' date='05 January 2010 - 12:12 PM' timestamp='1262722336' post='249407']

To many guys here have a similar story.

Bleach had his 620 stolen after a large round of upgrades. Never saw it again. :(

My jeep was stolen a few years ago after I just got it ready for the summer...thankfully I got it back a month later, minus some bits, but I got it back. :)

Good luck, I hope you get it back unharmed...theives suck.

One of the local guys who used to have a beautiful 510 wagon had it stolen the night after he took it to a show. Someone must have followed him home.

• Like 1

im sooooo wiring in a kill switch now where im going to i dont know but i have found my method works i pull the rotor out when i park the car somewhere for any extended period of time (concerts dinner staying out of town stuff like that) at times i wish my car was efi when we took a family trip to disneyland my dad pulled the main power fuse for the ecu on the suburban it instantly became a 2 ton paper weight

So sorry to hear of your loss, especially with the history you have with it...I truly hope it is recovered for you!

The only Vehicle that I have had stolen thankfully, was back in 98, my 94 integra gsr (yes, I swayed from the path of holiness...lol!) now, the problem herein is the fact that most people get a viper, at least here in Az as it is the most widely pushed alarm by your local stereo installers. What that means is, everyone's alarm sounds exactly the same. So one night at my apartment about midnight, I hear an alarm go off right behind my back patio where the parking lot is, so I get my butt off the couch and start walking toward the rear door to see if it's mine. I then hear the alarm chirp off, as if someone had the remote and disarmed it. Now this is my fault, but I just thought it was my neighbor again who had recently gotten one installed, but kept forgetting he had it, so was still unlocking his door, opening it, only to set the alarm off and would then disarm it. So I turned around, sat my butt back down and watched the rest of the movie. Next morning...gone. no broken glass...nothing.

I call the cops and go through all that only to get a call at 10am that morning stating that they found it about 15 miles away...stripped...wow, 10 hours and stripped. basicly they took everything that swaps into a civic and then a few other things. weird thing is they left my BBS rims on it! guess they needed rollers or something to get rid of it.

I go to the insurance yard to look at it, recover anything I could (including the rims, told the insurance they were my friends and gave them the stockers... :P ) and I noticed that the alarm wasn't even touched, nothing cut, no damages. while there I contacted the investigating officer and told him about it and that I thought it odd and reminded him of how the night before had gone down.

Not sure how they are now, but the officer told me on the model alarm I had with the valet switch, that if you have the key, unlock and open the door, the alarm goes off, put the key in the ignition, turn to on while either holding the "hidden" valet switch or something to that effect, it turns off the alarm...key in hand, car is gone. Come to find out, the import shop here called "speedzone" where I just had some stuff done since I got yelled at for working on my car at my apartment, were making copies of keys anytime a car came in for work!!! went to their store where I was just at two days ago...gone, empty, just a few nuts and bolts laying around. From what I had heard (later of course) was the owner had warrants in Cali for doing the same thing, came here, did it some more, and went back to Cali. About 5 years ago, I was telling the story to a friend of mine in a car club and he had known the guy and heard he was now working as a mechanic at a honda dealership!!!! YIKES!

Since that day, I have wired in the horn, or like on my Bugs, air horns so they have a different sound than everyone else out there with a viper AND installed kill switches. It's not full proof...but it's just another step...

In the end, worked out good for me as the insurance gave me way more than what I paid or had into it

im sooooo wiring in a kill switch now where im going to i dont know but i have found my method works i pull the rotor out when i park the car somewhere for any extended period of time (concerts dinner staying out of town stuff like that) at times i wish my car was efi when we took a family trip to disneyland my dad pulled the main power fuse for the ecu on the suburban it instantly became a 2 ton paper weight

Theres some cool places on a 610 for a kill switch - hit me up sideline.

So sorry to hear of your loss, especially with the history you have with it...I truly hope it is recovered for you!

My 1973 620 is Back (Unstolen): The phone rang just before 5am this morning. It was the San Diego Police calling to inform me that the truck had been identified as a stolen vehicle and the driver was being questioned prior to arrest. The officer wanted to know if I had loaned the vehicle to the person driving it. I told him, "Absolutely NOT!" Then I was given 20 minutes to drive the 20 miles to where the truck was parked (on a side street in Kearney Mesa). The 20 minute drive would be so I wouldn't have to pay the impound fees. My wife, daughter and I drove there in the 20 minutes, and after the officer took the truck off the nation-wide stolen list, I was allowed to drive it home with the keys I brought to the scene. The guy that had stolen it had been living in it: the stereo and speakers are cut out and the seats and floors are grease-smudged, dirty and wet. There were a bunch of tools, equipment and food in the truck, along with some verrrrry personal items I didn't want my eight-year-old daughter to see. I had put a key lock in the gas tank filler door, and the lock has been drilled out (the lock was from an older Datsun 411). I was told that the suspect was arrested in possession of a bunch of auto master keys, so he didn't need to force any doors or hot-wire anything. Mechanically, the truck looks OK. I now have a three-day weekend to clean it up, get the insurance company to look at the damage, so I can take it to work on Tuesday. My old friend is back. Whew!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to put an electric fuel pump with a relay connected to the alternator field and a momentary switch to engage the relay once the alternator field is charged (I'm sure you get it...). That way, the truck will run out of fuel in a few seconds if the relay is not engaged.

My 1973 620 is Back (Unstolen)

:cool:

It really doesn't madder what alarm you put on your ride their is away around them the ONLY way to secure you ride is ...

... is ... there isnt one. :(

i could show up w/ a tow truck, load w/the alarm blaring, and drive away...

REPO!!! :blink:

i use multiple 'deterrents', visual and hidden, also leave the doors unlocked. dont want to replace glass, again.

Hey it's great to hear you got your truck back! In 1995 when my stolen 620 king cab was recovered. The Sacramento Sheriffs called me at 1:30am and told me I had 30 minutes to show up and pick up my truck. When I got there I found the Guy in the back of the police car. He had punched the door lock cylinder and he also had a ring of multiple keys mostly Toyota so he had punched the ignition also. One of my slotted mags was missing, the truck was covered in mud,there was a five gallon gas can and three foot of garden hose in the bed. There was clothes, blankets, a cooler and a giant machete that was really rusty. I thought man what drugs is this guy on? Unfortunately I was finned by the Dmv in a letter I received through the mail stating they knew I had recovered the truck because of the completed police report. They informed me that if I decided to register the truck,there would a fine for failing to complete a title transfer and driving the truck on the roadways.

Man I am so happy for you and your family/truck and I was dead serious about letting you use my 620 until you got things figured out. Well it looks like thing was figured out the best way, you are very fortunate and I am very happy for you.

Thanks much for the goodwill. I feel lucky to get the truck back too. The guy that took the truck did some weird stuff. He took everything out that was stowed in the cab, including the jack, jack clips, bracket, jack handle and datsun tool pack and threw them away. This included an awesome 25-year old, 30-foot-long rope that I used for tying down loads. He also removed the cd/receiver and speakers (likely fenced) and every scrap of paper in the cab. He removed the plywood board that I used to level loads carried in the truck. He removed the hot-air flapper valve (missing) from the air cleaner and also removed the K&N filter (missing) from the air cleaner. He bent metal edges around the engine compartment for reasons I don't understand. However, luckily for me, he didn't mess with the dogleg transmission, or the rebuilt drive shaft. I have some work to do (he broke the dash instrument assembly and climate control getting the radio out). I'll probably need to find a new climate control somewhere because it's not fixable. And the whole truck smells like a mixture of tobacco, cigarette smoke and cheap perfume. The insurance company said they'd detail the interior of the cab to help get the stink out, and my brand new seats are now grease smudged. Well, I guess it's almost the same truck. I've got some work to do.

620Bob

I am glad for the safe return...I have a story...I had a GMC Vandura cargo van I used for my business. It had my company logo all over it with dark tint on all the windows for obvious reasons. Well, the would be thief knew there were tools inside the van. The neighbor rings me at 2 am in the morning and says "Be cool....but someone is breaking into your van as we speak." Talk about a rush of adrenaline. I instantly jump out of bed leaving all the lights off, grab my 7 inch buck knife and an Easton Aluminum Softball bat, and my cell phone. I dialled 911 and left the phone on the hook sitting by the nightstand. I knew the cops would show but wasn't going to miss my chance.

So this prick broke out the lock on the slider door and was half way in when I Babe Ruthed his ass..literally in the ass. Of course his natural reaction was to put his hands on the small of his back and stretch upwards. He banged his head on the roof of the van so hard I had thought he knocked himself out. I dragged him out by the ankles and stood on his balls.

This dude was 5'10, prolly around 150 lbs (clearly due to the meth addiction), missing teeth and was unbathed.

He was scared and was not struggling....Cops came and hauled him away...I got an earful for calling 911 and not saying anything....oh well...I had my moment...

I have some tricks up my sleeve. I am going to install a couple of goodies on my 620 this weekend...

Good news Bob. Sounds like another case of the "tweeker" needed a vehicle. Did you get a look at the thief [asshole] ?

I received the phone call from the San Diego Police sometime after 4:30 am. The officer gave me 20 minutes to drive from Rancho San Diego to Murphy Canyon (West Canyon Drive and Aero Drive). We just made it. The theft was apparently in cuffs and gone in very short order, because he was gone when I arrived. From the adjustment of the seat belts and some clothing articles left in the truck bed, he must have been a smaller-build person. I do know his name, cuz the officer told me his name in the phone call, asking me if I'd loaned the truck to him. A white pages google on his name yielded a same-name address within about a half mile of the arrest scene. I believe you're right about "tweeker" and "asshole", cuz I found a pouch with a three-burner cigarette lighter, metal spoon and hypodermic needle in the truck. I'm on the path to getting the truck fixed up again. I'll likely need to take some trips to the junkyards.

glad to see a happy ending for this.

a friend of mine wired his train horn into the positive wire on the coil, though he has never had it stolen I'd love to see a theif's reaction when they fire it up.

That would be an effective theft deterrant. Hopefully the seats are vinyl or leather because the horn sound would scare the crap out of the thief or thieves...

And to 620Bob - Way to go on getting her back! That would be one to call 'Lucky', if she already doesn't have some pet name...

• 4 weeks later...

That would be an effective theft deterrant. Hopefully the seats are vinyl or leather because the horn sound would scare the crap out of the thief or thieves...

And to 620Bob - Way to go on getting her back! That would be one to call 'Lucky', if she already doesn't have some pet name...

So, the truck has been returned and the dust has settled. The insurance company insisted on totaling the truck and I bought it back for $50.00. I need to re-register the truck as a salvaged title for $35.00. I have a bad feeling about getting ANYTHING more from insurance EVER, cuz they're going to say it's a worthless vehicle.

The guy that stole the truck has pleaded guilty to felony burglary and will be sentenced on March 15, 2010 to a jail term.

A weird, funny thing is that the thief is a member of Facebook and has 297 friends posted to his "Wall". There's a picture of him on his wall kissing a girl in a bar. I haven't taken the time, but his path to my truck is probably traceable through the personal information on his Facebook wall (quite a forensic tool, if a say so myself)! I need to decide if I need or want to know those details. I still need many parts to get the truck fully functional again. Hopefully, that's do-able.

So, the truck has been returned and the dust has settled. The insurance company insisted on totaling the truck and I bought it back for $50.00. I need to re-register the truck as a salvaged title for $35.00. I have a bad feeling about getting ANYTHING more from insurance EVER, cuz they're going to say it's a worthless vehicle.

The guy that stole the truck has pleaded guilty to felony burglary and will be sentenced on March 15, 2010 to a jail term.

Glad you got it back, and that piece of shit is going to prison.

By the way $50 is a hell of a good price for a 620 :D

As for your insurance, I have State Farm covering all of my vehicles. On a newer vehicle that is totaled they pay current retail value + tax and license. On an older or specialty vehicle you can get coverage for a stated value. When my 96' S-class was stolen and recovered the cops called it a "light strip". I took it to the Mercedes dealer that I worked for and wrote up a $17,000 estimate(door panels are over $1200 each, $700 cd changer, labor was $115/hr., you get the idea). State farm totaled the car and paid me $20k for it. I bought it back for $5k spent about $2k repairing and upgrading instead of replacing. They still cover it for current retail :thumbup: