Pete is at it again

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mmmmmmmm. a v8? :thumbdown: there was a post on that forum that i agree with. "what kind of a twit ruins a japanese car with an american motor"

The man who perfected the 510?

V8 510's have been around since someone said those famouse words "What if...?"

I know of at least three Dimes around here that had Fords in them and only one remains. Where they this well done, no, not really.

I once had a vision of building a Gasser Style 510 with a 392 HEMI, but, the HEMI had a broken crank and I passed on it like a dumb ass! :blink:

Edited by Jesse C.

Almost any car will benefit from more power, this is almost always true.

Almost all cars will suffer handling performance problems including braking if the above is done with no concern for the added weight usually inherent with a motor swap.

I'm not a fan of V8 motor swaps as they are almost always poorly thought out and executed. The only saving grace with this is that it is or appears to be fairly well done. As for the rear drum brakes.. good enough. True, disc are sexy but not needed. If this car was for auto X or racing, maybe. For driving around the fronts do all the work. I realize that to look like everyone expects they should fit the 'ideal' and be disc. Maybe he could

Bolt on fake 'rotors'

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/mok_/ROTOR/untitled1.jpg[/img]"]untitled1.jpg

Bolt on a fake 'caliper' somehow that fits the fake 'rotor' everyone happy.

12_fakebrembos.jpg

11_fakebrembos.jpg

Edited by datzenmike
Almost any car will benefit from more power, this is almost always true.

Almost all cars will suffer handling performance problems including braking if the above is done with no concern for the added weight usually inherent with a motor swap.

I'm not a fan of V8 motor swaps as they are almost always poorly thought out and executed. The only saving grace with this is that it is or appears to be fairly well done. As for the rear drum brakes.. good enough. True, disc are sexy but not needed. If this car was for auto X or racing, maybe. For driving around the fronts do all the work. I realize that to look like everyone expects they should fit the 'ideal' and be disc. Maybe he could

Bolt on fake 'rotors'

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s203/mok_/ROTOR/untitled1.jpg[/img]"]untitled1.jpg

Bolt on a fake 'caliper' somehow that fits the fake 'rotor' everyone happy.

12_fakebrembos.jpg

11_fakebrembos.jpg

now thats some funny shit

Especially considering the car still has rear drums!

Great, But how do you stop it?

Freakin lame if ya ask me. I would at least put some brakes on it.

What's the point of putting a v-8 in it if your not going to race it.

Edited by datrod

Define race. 1/4 mile... plenty of time to stop, lots of time for brakes to cool. Auto X may be a problem but again not really a long enough time to get them really hot. I don't see this car auto X-ing. I think a V8 would accelerate fine but not be as nimble, and handling is what it's all about. If it was built to be raced lap after lap where the brakes would get super hot I think he would have changed them. Most street cars... drums are more than good enough. If you race hard enough that the rear drums fade, then discs are needed. So in most cases it's a 'look' thing when running rear disc much like braided rad hoses, strut braces, catch cans and AN fittings.

Edited by datzenmike
Define race. 1/4 mile... plenty of time to stop, lots of time for brakes to cool. Auto X may be a problem but again not really a long enough time to get them really hot. I don't see this car auto X-ing. I think a V8 would accelerate fine but not be as nimble, and handling is what it's all about. If it was built to be raced lap after lap where the brakes would get super hot I think he would have changed them. Most street cars... drums are more than good enough. If you race hard enough that the rear drums fade, then discs are needed. So in most cases it's a 'look' thing when running rear disc much like braided rad hoses, strut braces, catch cans and AN fittings.

I was just saying that if I were to do a car like that it would see plenty of track days. "Not drag racing"

I have run out of brakes at over a 100 MPH. Not fun. That's why I run rear disc on my 240Z.

But I get your point. Street car no problem. Auto X not a big deal, Open track day could get ya in trouble.

I don't have the braided hoses you speek of but I do run a strut bar some an fittings and a catch can.

Full cage and I like to think I'm racing when I'm on the track.:lol:

Edited by datrod

The firewall was moved back 10 inches or something according to the article in GRM, so I'd imagine the weight balance is pretty good, it actually might even handle better than a 510 with a traditional L. However, it still looks to me like a bunch of effort, and then cheaping out on suspension.

One of my GM buddies says the motor he used isn't even a desirable motor. Truck motor or something. I don't know GM motors from a hot rock, so yeah.

My point is, if you're Pete Brock, you should have quite a bit of money, and if you've already sunk that much into the car, why not do the whole package with brakes to match, and maybe some 5 lugs to handle the extra torque.

Then again, I don't have the money to do that, so I guess I should just stfu! :D

I wouldn't really say he cheaped out on suspension, at least when it comes to the front. It has a custom front crossmember with R&P steering as well as adjustable lca's and t/c rods. Seems to be some pretty trick stuff. I think the rear may be fairly standard, but I'm not really sure. The brakes on the other hand ...

Ok, first off, this is Pete Brock!

Youngest designer ever hired by GM at the age of 19!

Designed the Daytona Coupe that won the world championship from Ferrari and helped refine the Cobra!

Took a shitbox and made a legend out of it by beating the best Europe had on the line! Mind you, Shitbox was Mortons name for the 510!

So the guy now builds a V8 510 and folks start questioning what he has done and by some of the same people that think a totally hacked up POS P/U is Bad Ass! Would I build one like that, no, not really, I already have a 71 Chevelle and my 510 will be VG powered. But, if I should score a HEMI....

All I am saying is don't underestimate the guy and I think he has earned the right to build whatever he wants in any way he wants! Will he be racing the car really hard? Doubt it. I think this is just a WTF build for fun and kicks and will provide a quick thrill whenever he wants to stomp on the pedal!

And by the way, it is not that hard to soup up the truck version of that engine to put out some decent power.