hacked's 521 (turbo bagged right hand drive)

hacked521

on a cannon powershot there might be a setting for something like nightscene portrait or something similar. you need the camera to be in some sort of night mode, this basikly tricks the camera into taking a long exposure. You also might have a little wheel on the top of your camera which will have different settings: m, tv, and so on. The m stands for manual the tv is either shutter speed priority or aperture priority..not sure just find a setting on your cannon that gives you a slow shutter speed, one slow enough to where when you take a picture with it, it blurs the picture because your hand is shaking...which means youll also need something to put your camera on when you take these pictures. Hope this helps out.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Hacked,

Thanks for the update, Those tail lights are great. Simple and clean!

The bed looks like it belongs with the truck, it is low like your truck. Kool.

Keep me posted on the school car show I would like to check it out. If you are intereste in that L20 with the 5 speed I could bring it down at that time.

Keep up the good work and your school work.

haha, fisch theres way too much in mind for this one and like he said they are never finished.

Icehouse- yeah i get a lot of looks and a lot more conversations at the gas station asking what it is.

Charlie69- the car show is for students only and with this new addministration that they got in, theres no way youre getting on campus without some sort of visitors pass. Even better we should get as many of the Az. datsun guys together as we can and have a meet some place. That would be awesome if we could do that! About that L20 and 5 speed, ill go up there and pick it up or whatever is more convenient for you.

The taillights are not finished, they still need a third bottom light and the a piece is going over all of them so they dont look like pipes with lights in them...and then they will also get molded into the bed..maybe.

Thinking about putting some crazy skinny artillery wheels on it, thats if I can find a set to fit the six lugs.

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_6935.jpg

quick shot of the gas tank...ill get some better shots of the tank and the exhaust set up when i get my camera back from a friend of mine. I decided against the artillery wheels after doing some photoshopping...liked the stockers more. I think ill buy some skinny wheels and tires that look like the stockers that way they can tuck up through the bed with a small rectangular hole instead of a big chunk missing out of the side of the bed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi hacked,

Us fellow Ratsuner's need more.

I would like to take a moment and publicly let the Ratsun community know that hacked521 is a man of his word. He made an arraingement with me to come to Tolleson and pick up a motor and transmission I had and he showed up just like he said he would.

I was a little suprised when he showed up with a Toyota SUV! But the motor & trans fit in there just fine.

I really enjoyed talking with you. With youth like hacked521 I feel that our country will be able survive the current world chaos!!!

Thank you again,

Charlie

haha the toyota was my mom's, it was either that or a chevy dually converted to a flat bed car hauler. the car hauler doesnt make good enough gas mileage to make a trip to just get the motor and trans.

i still dont have a camera to show what ive been doing with the datsun but trust me...ive been doing a lot. from the electronic ignition swap to the replacement and re making of the rear bridge bars for the bags and wishbone mount...somehow the the wishbone mount, which is 1 1/2" tubing bent quite a bit...maybe its from doing to many burnouts and the amount of tire shake it goes into when it doesnt want to do a burnout....no more burnouts.

future plans: i was thinking about doing a totally new frame, have it underslung in the rear(frame underneath the axle instead of over) and run older frontier spindles and brakes up front. This new frame would include the z i wanted to do to the front end plus the z i would have to do for a body drop and all the fabricated bed and cab mounts for the body drop.

does anybody see problems with running an underslung bagged truck?

i was also wondering if i could use frontier spindles/brakes and keep my stock wheels?

give me some feed back please!!

Hacked,

Nice build! Lovin the old school theme. Quick question Where did you pick up that cool gas tank? I am in the market for one very similiar to the one you have. I currently have a fuel cell right now, but it has to go. I was going to chop up an old beer keg! I know major part foul! I was going to cut in half a put a plate between it, have gas on one side and beer on the other, don't know what the local police would say:unsure:, but it would be a hit at the local car show. :thumbup:

Or may be I could put a little "shine" :Din it, that would be a real gasser...

why not run a little moon in your mooneyes style gas tank? haha...i got the gastank from speedwaymotors.com lots of good stuff there at not so bad of a price.

Heh, in highschol I knew a guy who put hard liquor in his windshield washer tank and routes a hose inside the cab. Talk about a shot! Oh man the dumb ass stuff we did as teenagers, it is amazing any of us lived to adulthood.

Heh, in highschol I knew a guy who put hard liquor in his windshield washer tank and routes a hose inside the cab. Talk about a shot! Oh man the dumb ass stuff we did as teenagers, it is amazing any of us lived to adulthood.

haha, we did that back in the day too. it's nice to see things havent changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures!!! ill post some daytime ones by the end of the week.

Had to redo all of the mounts in the back...it all looked too crummy and it didnt really show what im capable of.

CIMG2961.jpg

CIMG2963.jpg

CIMG2990.jpg

and why i started to replace it all...a crazy bent wishbone mount bar that had no support what so ever.

CIMG2987.jpg

looking good man the only issue i see with running the axle over the frame is that everything would be reversed putting air in the bags would lower the truck i suppose you could make som fancy mounts but thats alot of work and would only allow the axle to move so far im liking the build what happend to the bed did you just take it off to redo the back suspesion? how does the exhaust sound i like the look of duals :D

That's some ymuuiness right there Hacked! Man if you are doing this kind of work now, what'll you be capable of when you're 30?

Thanks for the update!

Thanks fisch, im hopeing that ill be able to knock out some really clean and innovative stuff when im older...stuff that when you walkup and look at the rear setup its not just a simple bridge setup its something makes you go "wait how is that even possible?"

72240z- haha, no its not 10 inch, its around 6 inch pipe thats 3/8 thick. i got it cheap when i bought the 11 gauge 1 1/2". I didnt want to do a normal bridge setup.

bonvo- there was two reasons why i wanted to do an underslung: 1. its different from alot of other stuff and 2. its cleaner with an infinite amount of travel upwards. when i get around to doing the underslung i was gonna do the bags on a cantilever setup. the exhaust isnt true dual, yet. It sounds pretty cool still though..that dual exhaust is made from an old set of chevy circle track headers and fence pipe. the bed is off for just that, redoing the suspension...plus i wanted to do a little work on the bed anyways.

im stoked to build the tubular a-arms for this thing now that ive got the fabrication juices flowing....even though thats gonna be a ton harder.

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

These are some photos of my buddies old tacoma. The plans were 20's with a 350, 'underslung' rear section (full back half), Z'd frame of course, and iirc the cab had already been body dropped. After these were taken the firewall was nearly completely redone. Tubbed, trans tunnel etc. The top was also chopped and layed back. tho i dont have photos of that anywhere. This was also nearly 5 years ago.

We started with 2"x3" tube stright back from the stock frame at the back of the cab. Capped the rails with a section of said 2x3. In the last pic you can see the stub sections we brought in from the inside rails of the frame. This is where the link was attached. You can also see some of the tube work that was done. No bends, just cut angles. The crazy section just behind the cab is where the weight of the rear of the truck was supported (bag location).

Originally i disagreed with his choice to go with a ladder bar type link for obvious pinion angle reasons. But as we discovered the lift was not going to be much at all, it became a very small issue due to the lack of travel. You DO NOT get alot of travel if your frame is under the axle....unless of course your runnin 30's :P Figure the height of your frame, subtract that from half the overall hight of your rim/tire combo, then subtract half your axle width. Not much left... Great for railing...bad for lift.

We had also incorporated the cylinder mount into the rear of the frame. basically consisted of 2 triangles on either side of the frame with a 1/4" x 1.5"(i think) radiused piece of steel connecting the two...kinda like a hammock, but solid.

What does all this mean?? Under the axle, while a novel idea, is not great for functionality. Even if you take the rails and essentially notch it upside down under the frame...you still either hit the ground early with the frame or the axle very quickly with lift.

oh.. and we never did end up rollin with VC.

Figure the height of your frame, subtract that from half the overall hight of your rim/tire combo, then subtract half your axle width.

13(half of the overall tire height 26") - 3 (frame height) - 1.5 (half of the axle width) = 8.5" that seems like plenty of lift from on the ground to 8.5" against axle but off the ground...useable travel would probably be closer to 5.5" off the ground. that still seams like it would be allright. Im currently running my truck daily at 5.5" off the ground and it doesnt drag...of course I bump up the air when i go over speed bumps. Im not trying to insult you or anything i just crunched the numbers and it didnt seem as bad as you were describeing it. from how you described it, i was thinking i would only get like 3" of lift...nice tacoma none the less, why didnt you roll with VC?

I deffinately wont be useing ladder bars when I build my new frame...in my opinion i dont see why people bother to use that old of technology...especially with a 350, there was potential to run a 4 link and hook up a little better...but this is all opinion of course.

Agreed. tho my thought process on the math may be screwy, the idea that anyone would get 'better' lift going under the axle is not true. 26" overall height is actually quite a bit for what i expected. But of course the larger your wheels the more room you have.

Initially I was pushing my buddy to go with a 4 link. He ended up doing the link bars when i wasnt around so whatever...lol. Im not sure if he was concerned with the power or what, but i know that if he ever finished it, the plan was a trailer queen.

Eventually the shop, which was a side thing for him, got backburnered and he closed it. so the truck was never finished. I havent kept in touch so i have no idea what hapnd to it.

The 2 of us didnt go with VC.. some of the other local guys did, but they were the young bucks and, well...whatever. I had been to a few meets for the Sac area chapter and while some people were cool, I had issues with others. I went to Drop Zone i believe (in OR) with em, met shannon the head dude of VC ( cool dude) but of course it was a run and I had my personal 30 pack...lol

I ended up hammered at some point and someone said I said something I dont remeber sayin and blah blah blah.. I wasnt worried bout it tho. I Wasnt a huge fan of the guys runnin it in my area.

Did get to kick it with some other cool folks....Dan from FBI/Twisted etc. Rode in the sport trac and chilled in the spa trailer lol