hacked's 521 (turbo bagged right hand drive)

hacked521

actually to tell you the truth, i was thinking about doing something like that. Just have a simple box and maybe try to incorporate (spelling) the datsun tailgate into it. I think if its done right it could look pretty trick. Ill mess around on a photo editing program, i have to see if it would look right.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet! You might even be able to find one of the old step side conversion kits for import trucks and remove the fenders? But heck an old ford type bed should be easy enough for a guy whith your skills to make fit. Chop a section out of the tailgate and the wall where it butts the cab, lay a wooden floor, etc.

I have something similar in mind that I want to draw up sometime in the near future.

Ive never been too big of a fan of the stepside beds, plus it would be easier to just build something new than modifieing one of those (also cheaper). man with one of those fenderless beds i would have to get a spun aluminum gas tank to sit back there, they look awesome and ive always wanted one. Well its deffinate now, ill have to builld an older style ford bed and ditch the stock one. Now just to come up with some sort of trick lights. The best thing about an older style bed is it fits the loose rat rod theme.

update: Finished exhaust ( just need to weld in a spark plug bung). Put on the flat white stripe on the side. Ill get some pics up when i fire up those flame throwers.:blink:

I figured it out, ill get a boxy bed and slap on some of those realround flowing bubble fenders from the fifties. Then I can steal the datsun tailgate skinand put it on the new boxy bed. I like the theory of all this, im just hopeing itll work. :cool: Oh the flame throwers work shoots out about a foot length of flame :eek:, i was going to take some night pictures but i have no gas to start the datto. Only one exhaust tube, but its no problem to do dual...if i do dual i can hit two toyotas at once. :lol: Unfortunately there is always a downside to everything, if you do use flame throwers it promotes enginewear due to raw gas being dumped into the cylinders.

I figured it out, ill get a boxy bed and slap on some of those realround flowing bubble fenders from the fifties. Then I can steal the datsun tailgate skinand put it on the new boxy bed.

I'd love to see that! There was a guy with an orange 320 with flames that did something similar I think. I will see if I can find a pic...

But I think it might look really cool with just the box too, so that is a swell place to start!

]2eDeYe-haha i liked it too but it was too inconsistant for myself...if i had my airbrush working still i would do a skull mural on the hood and do some fake rust everywhere. :cool:

shane- i was thinking about doing a completely custom bed and then getting either a 40- 50 series ford or chevy. I havent decided which would be easier to chop up and make what i want out of them. I dont want anything to do with luv to be on this truck, ive gotten the all too familiar nice luv comments too many times.

Well my timing is off and the points are worn on my truck, im thinking about doing that hei conversion on the dizzy. how hard and what do you have to do to do that? i heard something about a matchbox something but my memory is horrible.

yeah its been non-stop work; on this, one of our racecars, and welding up a stock car roll-cage for a customer. I fixed the timing and replacced the champion plugs( three were bad) with some autolites. Still working out the bugs on the turning signals, i replaced the fuses and checked to make sure the flasher unit worked and also if the turn signal switch itself is allright. Well see, ill have my dad help me out with it. I decided to do an old 40's style ford bed but without fenders, it looks pretty awesome. Well gotta keep the pace up seeing the school car show is comeing up here real soon. :(

well i got the headlights to work both low and high beam. thats about the only progress i have for yuh, the stock electrical is taking so much time. As for that video Pacific, thatll have to wait until i get somemore bugs worked out on the motor, it runs just not like i wish it did. Oh and that write up you did makes it seem like a sinch to do the hei dizzy swap, ill have to do it deffinately.

I got the oil changed, it needed it bad! It was running so fat before hand that the oil smelled like gas and there was so much gas it thinned out the oil enormously.:eek: Good thing the carb is working right, now. Also got a new oil filter of course. I decided to ditch the whit pinstripe and go with scallops.:D I got the driver side done and i also did the hood, the passenger side will be getting them tomorrow. I drove the truck up the road the other day, i love this truck so much..the looks i was getting from people were priceless.:cool:

Fisch- i tried out that making your own whitewalls on one of my old tires. It works well and i would do it to the tires on my truck, i just dont like the inconsistancy of results: the wavyness especially. Thanks for the great video though. Maybe ill have to do it on a junkyard set.

Ill get some pictures up at the same time i give my pictures to minitruckin. Oh yeah, i emailed mini truckin about just posting pictures on the website because i was still 16 and their website says something about 18 and older. They ended up replying back to me saying to go ahead and post them on the website and they also want me to send them some pictures directly with info on the truck. Hopefully they like the pictures because they need more datsun articles.:)

Coolness on all fronts HAcked!

On the gas in oil. I learned from HAinz that the fuel pump can leak if it is worn out. I had a gas smell in my oil and it was thin. Replaced the pump, and heven't had the same issue. But I haven't driven it much either! Might be something to look into.

The fuel pump is fine, im pretty sure it is. When you have 3 cylinders down without spark its going to dump alot of fuel into the motor. Not only the 3 down cylinders but the carb was running extremely rich.

The side scallop got sanded down and painted over, i didnt like the style i did...plus i had to get pictures done and i didnt have the patience to do the passenger side scallops. There will be pictures tomorrow of it and maybe ill have to take a video of the flame throwers also. The dash that I made for it is comeing out, I dont like it that much. Im going to cruise threw a couple junkyards tomorrow to find a dash i like and section it to fit the miniature datto cab. Ill also be at a couple aviation junkyards to pick up some gauges (altitude, oil pressure, airspeed) and to pick up an old plane steering wheel. If I find a steering wheel i like, ill mount some pushbutton switches on the top caps of the steering wheel for turning signal switches ( il make the steering collumn real clean, take off all the turning signal hardware and smooth it all out). The reason behind the whole aviation stuff in the cab is because i pilot around a plane and wanted to make the cab look something similar to a plane cab: tons of gauges and tons of switches.

• 3 weeks later...

started on my wireing. I got the ignition side all done, including a coil cutoff switch. The heater and wipers are on toggles now and so are the headlights. The brakelights are getting wired up after this. I ordered up my viair compressor and somefittings. I also sent the pictures that minitruckin asked. Here they are:

CIMG1796.jpg

CIMG1781.jpg

CIMG1789.jpg

CIMG1785.jpg

Damn that is low and frickin sweet HAcked! You know I am a fan!

ALSO I just posted a write up on making wider white walls out of thin strip white walls like yours. I had to give it a try! Check out the link.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?p=55585#post55585

Scott