hacked's 521 (turbo bagged right hand drive)

hacked521

Theres other things Id point out about the way you're doin the setup aswell, but I found it best to learn the hard way for myself and that everyone makes thier own choices based on what they like, so I try to limit what and who i critique.

Tho i personally think a slant cut on those rear upper bag cups would make them look cleaner and the odd 'adjustable'? brackets you have for the wishbone should be solid once you find a good setting for em. The one on the pumpkin is really tall too btw.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i will end up slant cutting the cups, i was gonna start from the outside down to the middle bar. The wishbone mount on the pumpkin is deffinately tall, its getting tube braceing from as far up as I can go down to the axle. hmm...not sure what you mean about the solid on the wishbone mounts. the ones on that cross bar up closer to the cab will be getting boxed and gusseted. they look like they are adjustable but they're not, I just designed them with the holes.

Thats cool you got to hangout with dan from FBI...do you have any projects going on?

For functionality, you probly wont have any reason to lower the wishbone, but if you brought it done lower to the pumpkin, it'd look cleaner IMO.

I sold my s10 a while back. It was bagged on a KP components 6 link setup that I had to modify later. The KP diff bracket (which was the mount point for the upper 2 link bars) was only a half wrap. It didnt bolt to all the diff cover bolts. I continued to have problems with the bolts backing out, so I bought an FBI version which uses a full wrap design and made that work. Looked really sick. The FBI one had an Iron Cross design in the middle with thier name on it. I welded that closed so no name and painted it to match. Was visible and popped against the chrome diff cover i put behind it.

The s10 saw many revisions in the bag system from the first c-notched, front/back spool valve, no shock, firestone, lil black pos compressor setup, to all new 1/2" individuals FBSS, 4 viar 380c's (200 psi), 14 gal capacity, Slam bags, 4 corner shock, 2 1/2" line feeds to the front corners setup.

Even had an air horn and frenched 96 caddy tails above the body line. Everything was shaved. When i took the kid i sold it to for a ride and busted a crazy, bed draggin, 3 wheel in the middle of a busy intersection and damn near put him out the window, i think he shit himself. Basically sold the truck on the spot..lol

As for what i Have now...check my vg30et 521 thread

haha nice, never rode in a car while it three wheeled...i bet it feels insane. i plan on later puting in more valves to do a FBSS setup with strap instead of chains to three wheel. just dont have the money to do so at the moment.

started on the body work, tons of dents on the roof. Gonna do a new paint job too; cream on the roof and pillars, black on the rest and a red separating stripe in between the cream and black. I wonder if thats common with datsun pickups. Im thinking about adding a little material around the edge of the fenders, about 3/4" kinda like the early 70's ford pickups had. gonna fab up a new carrier bearing mount so that i can lay frame instead of crossmember...ive got a lot of travel left just need that extra bit of room.

pics up tomorrow of how it sits right now. and progress shots of stuff. youlls know what stuff when you see the pictures.

• 2 months later...

new stuff! scored a 80 something 720 for free off of a friend. doesnt run but that doesnt bother me at all. going to try and use the rear axle and the front suspension and brakes stuff. should work out pretty good, that way i can prep this frame for the body drop and the new motor and 5 speed while i drive my datsun still. and i can make this one lay true frame.

• 3 weeks later...

gonnna run a turbo on the ol' 521. Its gonna be behind the cab, literally right behind the cab. This may and probably will affect it, resulting in bad lag but i wanted to do something different once again. I got a lot of the parts allready; turbo, boost gauge, fuel pressure regulator, built the airbox(its gonna be a blow through system). Im probably gonna machine my own boost controller and end up buying a blow off valve and fuel pump. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good cheap blow off valve or if there was a junkyard option would be excellent. pictures up soon of how its sits and all the parts.

There are lots of people running remote turbo set ups these days. The lag is negligible, so long as you don't use a gigantic thrust bearing turbo.

A good bov thats a junk yard or used option is off a 1g dsm. They come stock at a reasonable psi and you can crush the top to go all the way up to passed 1 bar. Cheap right off the bat and free adjustment, can't beat that.

Edited by 72240z

Charlie69,

the l20 is coming along. just trying to get money from the job i quit so i can send it off to get all the machine work done. When i tore it down it looked really good, i could have just put it back together and threw it in the truck. I just wanted to throw it in as a fresh a motor though. The turbo setup is gonna be with the l16 for a while, until i throw the l20 in. Then the l20 will become the turbo motor, which should hall a$! compared to the stock l16. Thanks again for the motor and 5 speed.

when will the next Datsun meet be? I figured out a way of getting there without taking the highway.

oh yeah and as for the five speed, i need to get a drive shaft made, i have an old quick shaft out of one of our race cars that I'm going to use, real light but strong.

72240z,

whats a 1g dsm?

oh yeah, thanks 72240z. that will help a lot! time to go junk yard searching again.

oh yeah forgot to tell you guys the last time i went through one of the junkyards down here there was three, yes three, 320 pickups in the far back of the lot...:eek: i couldnt believe what i saw when i stumbled upon them. ill take pictures the next time im in there.

Hey hacked,

I found the shifter for the five speed if you want it. I also have a couple more L20's if you need some parts.

As far as the next Desert Datsun meet I am not sure I think they are going to wait until it cools down some.

well...i guess i should take some pictures of what the 521 looks like right now. ill take them tomorrow, considering its dark outside. took it to a local car meet, of course the only datsun there, for now. You guys should have seen the crowd around my 521 :]...it ll be bigger once i clean it up some. I spread the word out about Ratsun.net, there were a couple of datsun owners there asking a lot of questions that can be easily answered here. cant wait to complete the turbo setup and throw the l20/5speed in it :] ... it might not seem like much to those with bigger hp but the difference thats gonna be compared to the stock l16 is gonna be nuts. pictures, tomorrow!

CIMG3232.jpg

yeah that would be a turbo

CIMG3233.jpg

the can coming off the turbo is the muffler, its what i had

CIMG3235.jpg

new air tank, '60's firefighter oxygen tank system is what it came from

CIMG3231.jpg

CIMG3230.jpg

started to pound out the fender so i can get to body work and finally painting this thing...the final color:D

• 2 weeks later...

CIMG3310.jpg

started mocking up the plumbing.

CIMG3308.jpg

new air inlet for the rochester carb.

CIMG3234.jpg

new helmet, i dont know how i welded before without this one.

CIMG3284.png

just a little photography stuff, yeah i know its not datsun but still.

its so close to being plumbed and ready to start tuning out all the bugs. ahhh i cant wait.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

actually im not sure anymore, i used to know...plus im sure it depends on the vehicle and if you want it done right haha.

bad update... i took the turbo setup off, never could actually get it to be tuned properly, dam exhaust leaks, plus the intake pipe got a hole in it which sucked shit through the motor which popped a rocker off which put a nice ground down area on the side of one of the lobes on the cam.

got that all fixed, running fine and dandy and on the way home i decided to stop and get gas and ended up in a wreck. lameness.

on top of that it seems as though the 4 speed is taking a dump. its popping out of 3rd when i up shift into it and pops out of 1st when i downshift into it. luckily i still have the 5 speed from charlie (charlie69) which i should be putting in anyways.

ill get some pictures up.

• 1 month later...

CIMG3909.jpg

fabbed up a turbo header for the datto out of some old 90s...turned out allright

CIMG3910.jpg

CIMG3914.jpg

new side pipe gonna make a mock one for the other side and a cover to go over the part underneath the cab

CIMG3912.jpg

datsunpower.png

and some pictures i took a while back that i thought were awesome haha

datsunbw.jpg

i need to get a fuel pump and blow off valve now that i have a turbo that spools up with oil lines going to it. everything fits under the hood :] , i cant wait to screw around with the people that have the fart cans on their cars. However, im not saying this thing is gonna run like a bat out of hell, this is still the l16...gonna build a low comp l20 next.