hacked's 521 (turbo bagged right hand drive)

hacked521

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Finally, some updates. Its been a while since the last one, ive actually been busy working on other projects. Like putting a 750 v4 into a quad and some other more mild ones.

Pictures of progress on the quad:

IMG_20100826_201823.jpg

IMG_20100820_150316.jpg

IMG_20100820_151044.jpg

IMG_20100826_201837.jpg

IMG_20100826_201728.jpg

My trucks progess:

IMG_20101210_220011.jpg

I decided to back half my truck and use a different frame after finding some kinks.

IMG_20101210_220025.jpg

IMG_20101210_220041.jpg

I'll get some more pictures up when i get a chance. Sorry for the bad cell phone pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

better pictures!!! and I got some more work done. I just about have the back done, its going to be seeing a narrowed rearend that has five lugs and can fit the tires ill be running. On the front end ill run a 2" dropped pinto spindle with a granada hub and gm metric brake callipers. Kinda a Frankenstein setup but it works out, we use it on our dirt modified. :cool:

CIMG4235.jpg

my rear tires

CIMG4234.jpg

CIMG4224.jpg

the lower link

CIMG4225.jpg

i made these bungs, haha bung, anyways that i welded in to mount the bag to.

CIMG4223.jpg

picture of the frame

CIMG4222.jpg

picture of the panhard bar mount

CIMG4230.jpg

another picture of the frame

CIMG4233.jpg

and another one of the frame.

CIMG4220.jpg

picture of the fuel cell, its a 16 gallon.

CIMG4217.jpg

tranny crossmember

CIMG4219.jpg

some of the bracing for the frame.

I gotta finish welding every thing in the back and then pressure test the two lower rails to try and find leaks, seeing that these are going to be my air tanks. :D

• 3 weeks later...

all right got some updates

I started doing the 5 lug conversion on the front end.

CIMG4238.jpg

im using 2" dropped pinto spindles, which are surprisingly close to a 620 spindle. The 2" drop lets me not have to pie cut the upper a-arm to allow it to truly lay frame.

CIMG4237.jpg

CIMG4247.jpg

first problem, lower balljoint hole on the spindle needs to be reamed bigger to accept the lower balljoint on the 620 lower arm.

CIMG4248.jpg

second problem, the tierod end to connect to the spindle is too small...no big deal i was going to use heims and swedge tubes anyways.

CIMG4239.jpg

my rotors

CIMG4240.jpg

CIMG4241.jpg

new bearings and seals

CIMG4243.jpg

CIMG4244.jpg

calipers

CIMG4242.jpg

caliper to spindle bracket

it all came in a kit with all the hardware from speedway and is really good quality so far.

i also got a little more work done on the frame.

CIMG4249.jpg

CIMG4250.jpg

I capped the back two tubes and welded all of the underneath welds on the 2x4 stuff...i gotta test the frame rails now to see if they're air tight.

oh and a little ball joint separator tool i made

CIMG4246.jpg

• 1 month later...

small update. decided that since i have almost all the parts, to run the carbed turbo setup with the airbox and everything. So i started to make a new turbo header, didnt come out as nice as i wanted but it will work a lot better than a log manifold. I still have to finish all the welds, put in a a pipe for the wastegate and weld on the flange for the turbo to mount to.

Pics:

CIMG4279.jpg

CIMG4280.jpg

CIMG4283.jpg

CIMG4282.jpg

i have to cut the pipes back a lot shorter.

CIMG4285.jpg

im gonna run by the nearest Volkswagen shop sometime next week to get some jets and a rebuild kit for the weber carb.

next on the list, start running lines for brakes, fuel, and air.... oh and the battery and mount for battery. then once thats all done i can start fitting my cab.

I got the header pretty much welded up with a flange, need to put a waste gate on it and call it good. Im gonna end up getting rid of the stock steering box and going manual rack and pinion. Im tired of clearance issues with the steering. Ill post up pictures tomorrow of how it all looks. Also might have gotten my hands on a stock 521 bed :D hopefully. What is everyones opinions on v bands to use to connect the down pipe to the flange?

Looking good Hacked. I am curious as to how you are going to put the collumn in. I have a 1980 steering gear box and tie ro rods & center link that put the bos on the outside of the frame rail & is rag jointed if this might help you.