hacked's 521 (turbo bagged right hand drive)

hacked521

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

got an update!!!!! i got my hubs turned down so the front wheels can be bolted on to the truck.

I rolled the truck out of the garage so i could clean around it and took a picture of it while it was out of the shop.

covershot.jpg

looks like a crushed honda delsol in the back ground :)

got an update!!!!! i got my hubs turned down so the front wheels can be bolted on to the truck.

I rolled the truck out of the garage so i could clean around it and took a picture of it while it was out of the shop.

covershot.jpg

very, very, very cool...5*****

thanks everyone for the motivational compliments! they help get the ball rolling again to getting this thing close to tear down and paint.

-blackdeth666, its a lot warmer here im sure. it feels cold as hell but its really in the 50s to 70s outside.

-pacific coast datsun, yeah ill take you up on the offer, it looks a little different in person.

-jon521, yeah honda del sol, it used to be my friends and then he got t boned by a f150 that ran a red light. it was off to the crusher the day after i took the photo. it was good for parts, thats about it.

i got a little bit done today, i tapped the clutch and brake master cylinder to accept npt so i can run my lines the rest of the way. i also started to make a final parts list, you dont realize how much you need till you narrow it down to the final nut and bolt. im going to end up having to make some fender flares for the front out of steel, nothing huge just a touch more than stock.

CIMG4617.jpg

CIMG4616.jpg

CIMG4622.jpg

full lock to the right at rige height, 3.5 inches off the ground.

CIMG4624.jpg

full lock to the left

CIMG4625.jpg

CIMG4618.jpg

dash with a datsun logo on it.

CIMG4609.jpg

steering collumn mount

CIMG4613.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i got a little more progress. I got the throttle cable in the firewall and got my brake lines mounted to the firewall.

CIMG4633.jpg

throttle cable end that plugs into firewall

CIMG4632.jpg

the hole drilled and filed for the throttle cable

CIMG4634.jpg

installed

CIMG4656.jpg

brake lines ran

CIMG4654.jpg

CIMG4653.jpg

CIMG4652.jpg

the tabs are on just with clecos for now then they will get riveted in after final paint.

CIMG4657.jpg

oh and i took a picture of one hub to show the lathe work.

-jon521, yeah honda del sol, it used to be my friends and then he got t boned by a f150 that ran a red light. it was off to the crusher the day after i took the photo. it was good for parts, thats about it.

i just thought it was a funny picture, because of the awesome 521 then the crushed honda in the background :)

those lines hold up for go carts and i mash the brakes on from upwards of 80 mph and stop on a dime in it but for a car??? just seems, lets just say "sketchy" (stupid). even though it may hold the pressure, why not just be safe and bend up some lines, its easy and cheap enough.

i feel the same! im 18 and i felt pretty good about doing my L20b 5 speed swap, then i read this and im like damn.....haha

yeah, same here basically, at seventeen i did new tires, brakes, suspension, lowering, clutch swap, trans swap, and z series swap and hooked all of tha up and had her on the road in 5 days and i though that was a feat, and here is a sixteen year old doing cutsom bag setups and frame mods... and i am just now learning to weld with a nice bead. seems as though this guy has a massive head start, time to catch up with my own suspension mods.twofinger_salute.gif. keep up the awesome work bro

im 20 now haha when the build started i was 16. :lol:

we use the same exact lines on our racecar, a dirt modified. some of the lines run right over headers and with some insulation they handle the heat just fine. some of the lines are under pressure for almost the whole race for some cases and we havent had an issue in over ten years. we run them on the racecar mainly because the rocks bounce off instead of pinching shut the steel brake line and they are a lot lighter, plus a kit to do a whole car is only thirty bucks. ;)

im going to use the same line for my air lines, i dont need a air bagged datsun thats gonna hop lol.

ill post up some pictures of how close some lines are to headers on the race car. i dont have any progress on the truck, ive been working on my girlfriends z car and the race car lately.

z chopper-i have the same feeling at times, when i look at some of twins turbo builds and a lot of the foose builds i wish i could build similar artworks. :(

gene- thanks, i think ive been on that website a couple times before and trust me it will be going to many desert datsun events and as many meets as i can possibly go to, thats the best part of doing a build like this. :cool:

oh yeah, example pictures of the brake line on the race car.

CIMG4659.jpg

same brake line as whats on the 521 with just a little insulation.

CIMG4660.jpg

the brake line is relatively close, only 3-4 inches away. the headers stay unwrapped all the time.

Looks don't matter to me as much cause im not popping my hood anyways at shows. Nothing to see there. It would be nice since I got impatient and decided a zip wheel was a faster way to remove all my brake lines. So I could get back to frame work.

thanks man, appreciate that.

now for some updates :D

CIMG4666.jpg

i got my core support....uhm support rods built, atleast on one side and then i ran out of materials.

CIMG4668.jpg

i drilled and tapped the support rod so that i can just put some bolts in and dont have to worry about holding a nut with a wrench underneath.

CIMG4667.jpg

i used 1" square 1/8" wall it makes it pretty strong and its big enough i can run my wires through them to the lights up front.

CIMG4664.jpg

CIMG4663.jpg

CIMG4662.jpg

i also started to fill in some holes on the core support.

CIMG4661.jpg

got a little bit of progress done today nothing major just little stuff, but it all builds up in the end.

CIMG4680.jpg

I got this little guy cleaned up and put on there, there was allready holes for it there which mad it easier. :D

CIMG4677.jpg

then i tried soda blasting this clean but it didnt come out as planned :angry: does anyone know if these are for sale anywhere?

CIMG4670.jpg

then i started on my switch panel that goes on my dash.

CIMG4672.jpg

CIMG4673.jpg

the top row of holes will get led idiot lights for brights, oil pressure, temp and charging.

CIMG4674.jpg

...and one more of the panel with the keys in the ignition.