What have you done to your 1200 lately

OpelWagenGT

Left front...

P8191222.jpg

Right front...

P8191225.jpg

Fat index finger about 5/8" thick!

Used all of my 255lbs on what now left of the front fenders, and couldn't them to touch, had my fearless other half watching, she said came  close but no hits.

I will take you up on your offer of tools and help at Packwood. There can be some sever bumps, depending on the course set-up.

Took it over some speed bumps- but that's straight on, and no hits.

Thanks for the heads up on the fender clearance. See you at Packwood.

• Like 1
  • Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually took my Sunny out for a drive this last Sunday.  (First time I've driven it in quite a while.)  Went flying down Pacific Coast Highway and enjoyed the weather and bikinis :)

The car is an absolute beast with the new rear end and Z-Therapy carbs.   

9Z042p.jpg

I need to drive it more often!

• Like 2

I put these in a few months ago, but my wagon resto is taking u almost ALL of my spare time, so the Sunny just sits most of the time.

carbs.JPG

carbs1.JPG

sunrear.JPG

My Sunny landed here with a 1200 ute rear axle which was noisy and geared a bit too low.  I found a stock one in a junkyard and rebuilt it.  MUCH better now.  This was taken in process, obviously :)

• Like 1

Actually took my Sunny out for a drive this last Sunday.  (First time I've driven it in quite a while.)  Went flying down Pacific Coast Highway and enjoyed the weather and bikinis :)

The car is an absolute beast with the new rear end and Z-Therapy carbs.   

9Z042p.jpg

I need to drive it more often!

That thing is beautiful! Hopefully mine will be that nice soon.

20140729_163305.jpg

Dropped the driveshaft going around 85MPH at the track in my historic GT-5 1200. Cracked the transmission tailshaft housing. Did a tune on the floor (nothing a big hammer and welder won't cure). Thankfully it didn't come into the car.

Got a line on a driveshaft, but still looking for a FS5W60A tailshaft housing... :)

• Like 1

This should draw fire from the forum gurus', but if I remember correctly the 63a is a L transmission stuff in an A series case- the front part of the case was cast to fit the back of the A14 engine and the input shaft was ground down to fit in the crankshaft with a very thin pilot bearing. You may want to remove what left of the tail shaft housing and compare it to a mid 70's L series trans out of a truck or the later 510's. It needs to be a 5 speed tail shaft to accommodate the room needed for 5th gear. Info links:

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=5-Speeds#63-series_5-speed

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=63-Series_Transmission#63_series_L-engine_vs_A-engine

This should draw fire from the forum gurus', but if I remember correctly the 63a is a L transmission stuff in an A series case- the front part of the case was cast to fit the back of the A14 engine and the input shaft was ground down to fit in the crankshaft with a very thin pilot bearing.

On mine, I had it side by side with the A10 dogleg 5spd and couldn't tell them apart from the case split back. So an L/Z dogleg back case should fix his problem, right? 

z-ya does your driveshaft have the bigger L/Z spline or the smaller 1200 spline? Hard to tell from that pic. 

Oh, and damn.  :huh:

It's got the smaller spline like the stock 56 series 4 speed. The 60 series uses the same small spline. The 63 and 71 series have the larger 510/zcar spline count. I brought the case to a guy that specializes in aluminum case repair. There are some oil slots that keep the seal lubricated. He can't do anything to repair that. The bushing is also toast. I'll post some pics.

I should be able to use a housing from a F4W60A or FS5W60A. Maybe a FS5W60L would work as well.

Thanks,

Pete

Green got 32 ounces of fresh brake fluid pumped through the brake system. Wanted to make sure the braking system was up to running 20 minute track sessions.

Next weekend is the Mary hill loops road hill climb on Saturday and Sunday. Monday we are going to Oregon Raceway Park for a 1/2 day track session. The 1/2 day session nets 2 hours of track time plus a nice lunch.

http://www.nwautox.org/hillclimb.php

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/nwaa-does-orp-2014-oregon-raceway-park-847258#.VAPnzWPj5KJ

The hill climb is sold out, there are a few spaces left for the track day.

On Yellow, I found the front suspension issue that has been making the car turn in strangely on left hand corners. The passenger side lower control arm pivot bolt was loose allowing the control arm to move sideways. When turning left, when the G forces were high enough to overcome the natural tendency of the suspension to pull outwards on the pivot bolt, the control arm would move inwards causing the steering to turn in harder. Very strange feeling to have the car turn in harder part way through a corner...

• Like 1

Well here's my small contributions to this thread since I haven't had it for a long time, so bare with me:
I picked up a pretty clean 1971 Datsun 1200 coupe...here's the first pic I took of it, even though it was pretty dirty/dusty:

2F4FEFF6-8973-45EE-90BD-444B40E3E0D2_zps

So here it is after washing it:

783106CB-DCD3-44CB-A5C6-C9D4A3862E90_zps

F5D99D44-A20D-4289-A3D6-A81E28534372_zps

I still need to tidy up a few things but it's a good starting point :)

• Like 4

So it's not much of an update but I wasn't happy with the ashy grey colored grille so I decided to spruce it up a bit. :P

AA51232E-EA1D-4898-A9E8-008A00C63C08_zps

D23DDC67-8D15-4103-9A70-01ACD7CFECF4_zps

ABFBA470-9FFA-4956-A8B5-17999303CD01_zps

Even gave the center grille emblem some color :)

C5760978-C1EF-45E3-B7C7-770993CA1ED2_zps

E8F3EDC8-2749-4718-B474-D1263FE14C7A_zps

848927EE-A2CC-41D2-B05B-CD6CB6335552_zps

• Like 2

Looks like a GREAT starting point!  :thumbup:

Looks awesome! 

Thanks, I think so too :P

Holy Crap!! Where did you find that? Pretty Clean?? It looks like you just drove it out of the 1975 Rocky Horror Picture Show time warp!

I found it on my local Craigslist and I was the first one out to see it.  I guess since I have only seen one other one in person I don't know how clean or unclean it is, not much to compare unlike my Datsun 510 where there's lots of those running around our meet. :)

That is a very nice coupe.  here's mine.  

ive been slowly putting it back together.  the exterior is just about done

Yours is coming along nicely!

• Like 1