OpelWagenGT

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, those turned out awesome!

Thanks, I didn't take nearly as many pictures as I used to, this is probably my 8th set of wheels that I've refurbished (polished lips and painted face) so I kind of skipped over a lot of the elbow grease pics :P

So not wanting any fitment or rubbing issues, I ordered some 175/60R13 tires and got them on ASAP!

Sorry if it's too many pics guys...but here you go:

A4C4FE2F-79A0-4AB3-B1CF-292C7A9B77E4_zps

72C5D4CB-B991-4ECC-9A2E-2E8636A654F3_zps

44E387A4-44DC-48BB-8FE3-E6740E82F929_zps

0EA31D2E-0CBB-4F2E-B95C-7E38DBAA00A1_zps

854B28D4-D156-4D91-8295-EC2EF87F77A6_zps

00A9D6FF-56AD-4DAC-A047-9742EB679F53_zps

495A5D4D-8427-4B6B-A4F0-D3E4ED1DFB55_zps

066D8FB6-6D09-47FC-B6E4-9C45DFFE14BB_zps

• Like 2

There are never too many pics. And it is beautiful!

Thanks, I was going to go with gold center faces, but since the car is cream colored I didn't think it would look best...and I hate dark wheels, so I figured silver would be the way to go.  I really like how they came out. :)

• Like 2

That looks great! And glad I'm not the only one in the tiny tire club...   ^_^

What brand are those? I didn't know that size was so easy to get. Been thinking about going to 13" wheels, but the 185/60-13s I have are just a tiny bit too tall. Those might be the solution...    B)

Thanks DF!  I know you're thinking (or were) of going with 15's but I really dig the old school look of smaller sized alloys.

I originally ordered a no name brand from tire-easy.com but after a shipping address problem, they couldn't fix it without canceling the order so after canceling I just ended up having my local independent tire shop order them for me and they got them the next day. The big tire places couldn't get them, Pep Boys, Big O, tire america, wheel works, Tire Rack, etc...oh and the tire brand is Federal. :)

I like the silver!  Did you sand blast them or just paint?  What paint color did you use?  Looks good.  I have thought about painting the centers of the wheels on my 1200 Silver.... 

Thanks, Dale

IMG_1565.jpg

Nope, not sand blast, just paint stripper and scotchpads to get the filmy mess off.  Then hit the lips with a wire brush wheel (yes a wire brush wheel), then varying grades of sandpaper (120, 200, 400 wet, 800 wet, 1200 wet, 1600 wet) then hit it with a polishing compound and a polishing wheel drill bit.  Lots of elbow grease basically, then cleaned up all the mess with simple green, let dry and masked the polished lips.  Primered the faces and hit it with Krylon brilliant silver paint a few coats, then put a few coats of clear coat.

great looking addition! 

Thanks Matt!

• Like 3

Thanks DF!  I know you're thinking (or were) of going with 15's but I really dig the old school look of smaller sized alloys.

I tried a few sets of 15s, but they just don't look right. If the car is only lowered 2", they look okay, but since my car is down about 4-5" right now, the car wouldn't turn with them on.   :rofl:

They just don't make a tire that's a small enough overall diameter to work on 15s. I went 14s just because I could get a 165/55-14 easily, and that's about the smallest diameter tire that's readily available. Your tire is only about 3mm taller than mine, so it could work very well. :thumbup:  

I've been considering these Aero wheels for awhile now. They only come in a 13x7 or 13x8, but I can get them in 4 different offsets (would love a hella deep dish rear), and because I think they would look badass...

AEO-52-984510GOL_ml.jpg

I originally ordered a no name brand from tire-easy.com but after a shipping address problem, they couldn't fix it without canceling the order so after canceling I just ended up having my local independent tire shop order them for me and they got them the next day. The big tire places couldn't get them, Pep Boys, Big O, tire america, wheel works, Tire Rack, etc...oh and the tire brand is Federal. :)

Yeah, tires-easy doesn't list the Federals, which is who I usually get my tires from. Guess I need to look around a bit...  

Thanks!  :thumbup:

• Like 1

I tried a few sets of 15s, but they just don't look right. If the car is only lowered 2", they look okay, but since my car is down about 4-5" right now, the car wouldn't turn with them on. :rofl:

They just don't make a tire that's a small enough overall diameter to work on 15s. I went 14s just because I could get a 165/55-14 easily, and that's about the smallest diameter tire that's readily available. Your tire is only about 3mm taller than mine, so it could work very well. :thumbup:

I've been considering these Aero wheels for awhile now. They only come in a 13x7 or 13x8, but I can get them in 4 different offsets (would love a hella deep dish rear), and because I think they would look badass...

AEO-52-984510GOL_ml.jpg

Yeah, tires-easy doesn't list the Federals, which is who I usually get my tires from. Guess I need to look around a bit...

Thanks! :thumbup:

The tires from tires-easy in the same size are a brand called Joyroad. ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, I noticed that.   :rofl:

Would look cool to make the lettering on them white...   :thumbup:

White paint to the rescue! :P

Well I posted these pics on my thread but what the hell...for those that don't check other threads :P

Decided to clean up my plates and frame:

Before and After:

1F22C960-AA8E-4B70-A01C-A6718A9B95A3_zps

F3D5BFCB-27E9-48D6-8778-118FA6985518_zps

• Like 4

Damn, I got my Sunny running and will (for sure now) be at JCCS.  I had a no output voltage condition from the coil.  Checked out everything with a test light and reasonably assumed the coil was bad.  I had checked the points and completely missed this the first time.

pmNms8.jpg

The two points that arc had somehow fused themselves together.  The one that moves from the cam lobe was stuck to the fixed side.  Points wouldn't open, so no spark from the coil.

I have been screwing around with point-equipped cars for a very long time, and this is a new one on me.  About 15 minutes after I got it running, my new coil arrived via FedEX.  :confused:

At least it runs great again.  I shouldn't let it sit for so long...

The two points that arc had somehow fused themselves together.  The one that moves from the cam lobe was stuck to the fixed side.  Points wouldn't open, so no spark from the coil.

I have been screwing around with point-equipped cars for a very long time, and this is a new one on me. 

I'll just leave this here...

coil_example.jpg

;)

• Like 1