OpelWagenGT

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks a bit high (I'm too tall for a 1200), but they do look good!  :thumbup:

They do sit a little high but (a) luckily I'm not too tall :P, and (b) if I had to, I would have cut the mounting locations and bolted them straight to the floor.

They look good

much more gooder :thumbup:

Thanks Matt/Hobospyder!

Got a good deal on a T50 transmission tonight. So I started to make an adapter flange in solid works for the A12

T50 as in Toyota??   If it is,,,,  i was looking at that just the other night with the A15 that was laying there.. seemed pretty close.  Nice light weight too.

Bolt on, then adjust at transmission end. Adjust the free play to 2 mm.

539.jpg

Then after bleeding, go up to the pedal and confirm you can push it down 1" with your pinky. No play is very very bad. 

GGzilla sent me this almost a year ago and I finally got the clutch bled. I can push the clutch in way more than 1" with my pinky, but i might have a very strong pinky finger. The slave cylinder does not begin to engage for the first 2" of pedal travel but is very light until about 2" from the floor, then it starts to get stiff. Watching the slave cylinder from under the car, the cylinder has a linear travel through the clutch pedal depression. It's been a long time and I don't remember the clutch being that light.

• 3 weeks later...

My camshaft came back from Delta Camshafts of Tacoma for my A12 engine, hope to have it installed in Smurf by early summer for autocross races.

P3121564.jpg

P3121565.jpg

Delta recommends adding zinc additive for break-in and first oil change after break in, and every other oil change after.

P3121568.jpg

Thanks to GPimm for the grind recommendation. Should be good fun!

• Like 3

P3131569.jpg

Yes they grind A14/15 camshafts, the one pictured above had done at the same time as the A12 camshaft, same profile for future A14 with flat top pistons and down the rabbit hole...and plenty of $$$'s.

I provided my own cores, as they only have A12 cores in stock and NO A14/15 cores. They have more than 5 or 6 profiles to choose from and grinding a profile cost about $55.00 to $60.00 plus freight to ship your camshafts back to you. The Zinc additive was $8.50 a bottle.

Just call and talked to them about what you want, the profile I picked is still streetable for an old guy like me!

You may ask them about Tomei camshaft profiles as they are no longer making cams for A series engines.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

13419_55138a385a576.jpg

My current project - 1980 1200 ute that I brought over from Australia.   First time I have seen in 15 months (been living in Australia) but back now in USA.    I would like to do a write up on here but I already have 18 pages written on the 1200.com web site and I don't want to re-write 18 pages of text / photos.

• Like 1

I shared on here, that I had the front tension rods, threaded end shoulder machined back 5/8". This allows the lower control arms to be pulled froward resulting in 5-6 degrees of caster, this is desirable for off street activities. However the sway bar links were slanted forward and with stock rubber bushing it sorta kinda worked, OK it kept the sway bar from falling down!

Solution:

P3291572.jpg

Used Energy Suspension universal sway bar bushings  with 3/8" hole in the center, a threaded 3/8" bolt and female 3/8" heim end. Cut a piece of thick wall rectangular tubing 1" wide right angle (2) drilled 3/8 hole for heim end to bolt to and 1/2" hole for the bolt in the lower control arms. The LCA's sway bar bushing link hole is about 9/16"- so no need to drill.

P3291573.jpg

I needed only to cut the steering arm stop flush with the top of the LCA, or just enough to clearance the bolt for the heim end. It happens when you discover another way to go...

P3291584.jpg

This is a little weird, the fuzzy blue in the back of the LCA, looking up to show how far back I needed to move the 90° bracket to get the link vertical. Going to test this out at the track next Saturday!

• Like 1