What have you done to your 1200 lately

OpelWagenGT

^^ Hey Jeff G, didn't know you were on here!

Been a while since I last posted any of my work. Probably didn't have my ute the last time I posted. Latest thing I did was install H4 semi-sealed headlight shells with green LED's and plug'n'play upgrade harness and relays.

1452099_10202524844146067_104411344_n.jp

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found a little "hole in the wall" driveline shop, and the fellow has been around for years. The 1200 does actually have replaceable u-joints.  The C clips are on the inside, and the old joints can be pressed out and replaced.  This fellow had used the Rockford ones, and found some from a different supplier that he said he had better luck with. 

The original ones in the junkyard driveshaft actually worked okay, but now I have new ones.  The driveshaft is cleaned up, painted, balanced, and good to go for another 40 years :)

It was a beautiful day here today, and I took the Sunny for a quick run (flying, actually) down Pac Coast Hwy.  So much win :)

For what it's worth, when building "from scratch", that's about the going rate. If you get lucky and find one that fits both ends and just needs to be retubed, it ought to be less than $200. 

^^ Hey Jeff G, didn't know you were on here!

Been a while since I last posted any of my work. Probably didn't have my ute the last time I posted. Latest thing I did was install H4 semi-sealed headlight shells with green LED's and plug'n'play upgrade harness and relays.1452099_10202524844146067_104411344_n.jp

Yea now a fellow ratsun.

• 3 weeks later...

Because I AM such a giver...

I put on my winter flip-flops, warm weather shorts, and my heavy duty short-sleeved TShirt and braved the 74 degree weather to take my Sunny down to Huntington Beach pier today!  There were some brave girls walking around in bikinis, so I took one for the team and gave them a second look just for you guys..

wx6s.jpg

Hope you all have a Kustom Kalifornia Kristmas!

Happy Holidays to my fellow 1200 nutters! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1

Unfortunately, 200 miles still separate my home from my Coupe's storage shed. The shed doesn't have electricity so I am somewhat limited in what I can get accomplished. However, I got a battery powered Dremel tool for Christmas and have been wanting to see how much metal is left around the rusted out trunk weatherstrip channel. I had an hour or so to kill, so I ground off as much rust as possible hoping I had enough metal left to weld in the donor channel from the rear clip. Yea! Got rid of most of the nasty stuff and there is plenty of metal left to attach the new channel.

DSCN1763_zpsff450785.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Was all that wireing replaced or leftover unused technology?

Removed because it went to things that will not be reinstalled. Most of that wiring is for the wiper motor, external voltage regulator, alternator, horn relay, horn, and factory gauge senders. 

Basically the only thing going back in from the stock harness are the lights and coil wiring. I'll be running a few new wires for the AutoMeter gauge senders, tach signal, horn and electric fan. 

Was that from the 210 or 1200?

Read the thread title.   ^_^

Why and what are your plans? Cleaner engine bay? Inquiring minds want to know.

Wanted it to be cleaner, for sure.  :thumbup:

Once we realized over half of the stock engine bay harness would be going nowhere, we knew we had to strip it down. There are two separate branches in a 1200, one goes down the right frame rail (lights, horn, coil), the other goes across the firewall and down the left frame rail (voltage reg, wipers, etc). Everything on the left branch went in the bin. 

• Like 1