Jay's 72 S30

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... I was really not even wanting to risk a hope that this was really an update... Everytime I would see a new post it would be someone asking "where's Jay???"....

Soo glad to hear youre allright and moving in a good direction. Life gets in the way sometimes, but I try to remember that everything happens for a reason, and life always gets better!

Don't rush things and don't get discouraged- you've got a lot of people here wanting to help out!

Glad you're back Jay!

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

The update is I'm going to Japan in April for a couple weeks. When I get back 1st order of business is to find a beat running s30 to drive and start swapping everything over. I dont have the means to get mine derivable at the location it's stuck at and that doesnt look to be changing any time soon. I rather save for a place of my own then pay crazy high rent for an apt with a proper garage.

Being able to enjoy a running one as well as drive to friends houses who actually have power in their garages is what I need at this point.

Hope everyone is well.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

welcome back Jay :lol:

WOW..is all I can say,

Jay, big props to your efforts and ideas, thats what this hobby is all about...love that type of shit....Ive done so much of it now and in the past. If only you can move to a different state, where the housing is reasonable and the weather is good....say like AZ or Cali....lol. JK do your thing Jay and keep your head up, your thread was is awsome for a lot of members, more so for my sons to read. They can have hope of making their project more then they would settle for...Dye, Flocking, Sued...all good stuff for them to look into...pretty sure Ill be doing a good portion of it. But they will be there.

BLUE....great link and answer to my questions, Jays thread had more then expected....good peeps and great site, glad we chose this site to be part of our research and ideas. I hope memebers can call on me for help some time.

Thanks to all.

I'm fighting a nose and throat thing at the moment so things are slow going. Yesterday I redid the entire center consol because the sides looks a bit blotchy, again learning curve lol. Reapplying glue to something flocked SUCKS!. It came out good though and today I got the trim back on. The interior is actually looking too nice for my car lol, it's a mismatch. :lol:

Classy

centerconsole012.jpg

That I know of I don't have a fuse cover. I'll either have to make one or buy a cracked one and fix it because I'm not paying what a good one goes for.

I'm curious what you used for the glue and the flocking. It looks like felt; can you provide some more info? I'm in the process of redoing my interior and my dash has some big cracks. Thank you sir.

Hey no prob, I used a kit from DonJer. It came with the flock/applicator(a cheap but effective cardboard one) and glue you can brush on. There are some tricks you'll learn as you go just remember the dash has to be perfect before you apply because every little flaw will show through.

If your on an even tighter budget you could just buy the flock, make an applicator and use a brush on upholstery glue, make sure the glue is black or dye it so it doesn't shine through the flock.

So Jay, in your opinion, how is the flocked dash? I saw a suede covered dash today and it looked a bit hoaky, although it could be because it had contrasting stitching around EVERYTHING. How is the flocking holding up?

Also, think it would go well with this color/type of carpet. Charcoal loop.

carpet_special_001__96368_zoom.jpg

I like it flocked, it has a race feel without being all ugly like a fabed dash.

Personally I'll take a WELL DONE wrapped suede dash and hell entire interior over flock lol. It can look horrendous when done poorly or tacky with everything stitched but when its done right? Nothing beats it.

Originally I was going to try and wrap it myself. Still have a few yards of Ultrasuede I picked up crazy cheap in nyc fashion district. Came to the realization before I even started it was prob just going to annoy me and not come out as well as I would want it to.

So small update....

Car gods willing I'm going Sat to pick up a pair of 240's in PA. Seller states both were runners when parked a year ago, at the price he wants its impossible to pass up. So hopefully the 73, I'm told with a 71 drive train will be the base for swapping all the stuff in my 72 into. Also my friend (in my sig pic) may take the 2nd one which would be pretty bad ass.

Fingers crossed all goes well. I will most def be posting pics when it goes down.

IMG_20110730_121048.jpg

• Like 1

Well got 2 z's back and parted out a 3rd. Left at 8am made 2 trips and finished after returning the dolly at 11:30pm. I did all of the driving, ouch.....

This is my keeper, a 73 with early 71 drive train and mint interior(besides the dash). My friend is keeping a 71 auto we can convert to manual and we parted a 71 manual with no dash that my 73 drive train came out of.

395228_10150574234028173_611048172_9164357_1367199295_n1.jpg

Dug in today on the z. Cleaned up the plugs, changed oil/filter, added marvel mystery oil to the cylinders, topped off the coolant, fixed some subsequent leaks, installed new bat terminals, bought a new bat etc.... No start, 12v at the bat but no signal but can hear the relay under the dash on the passenger side clicking. Got tired of trying to find out why and jumped it. Started at 1st only on started fluid but then after a few tried it idled on its own. The chokes and cables are all loose and nasty. The float on the carb closest the driver got stuck. Also it seems like maybe its not providing much if any fuel. I think a rebuild and tune of both are in order. As well as an emissions delete. Glad we got it idling though, felt like something was accomplished.

IMG_20120226_191622.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay been working on these z's every day since purchased. Accomplished a lot but still a mountain to climb. So far we have.....

-Replaced the bat terminals, battery, cleaned and gaped the plugs, changed the oil/filter, topped off the rad and fixed subsequent leaks, replaced dry fuel lines etc...

-Added a modern relay for the ignition because the stock one was clicking and doing nothing. Read that may be due to a voltage drop but w/e the reason its mute because now there is a nice modern set up.

-Got the car started but its very apparent at bare minimum I need to clean these up inside and out and tune. May pick up the tune kit from ztherapy if I'm not happy with what I can get going as is.

-Swapped the front and rear diy coilover suspension/brakes/wheels from my 72 since when we tried to bleed the ones on the 73 we found the fronts shot. Replaced the Master as well with the upgraded zx unit I had in the 72. Brakes still need to be bled and the universals need to be bolted in.

-Replaced the janky as hell clutch line and master in the car with the proper stock one from my 72. Seems the car was auto from the factory. Bled it out, clutch feels very good now.

I cant wait to just get this car squared away safety wise so I can dig in on undoing all the idiotic things and neglect the car is suffering from. Here are some pics of progress and condition.

IMG_20120305_205415.jpg

IMG_20120305_205426.jpg

IMG_20120305_205359.jpg

IMG_20120305_205325.jpgIMG_20120303_152737.jpg

IMG_20120307_140928.jpg

IMG_20120307_140952.jpgIMG_20120307_230518.jpg