Jay's 72 S30

It's a trickle/float charger its not designed to charge a discharged battery its designed to help maintain a fully charged battery. It does that by helping to offset the batteries natural discharge. It only needs to be .2v+ above the batteries rest voltage to work. 8v as I said was sun down with full clouds, which I thought was pretty good. 15v is what the controller is set to and will make in full sun, it can go as high at 17.7 at the controller or 21.6 right off the panel. It does need sun to do that though, kind of the catch with solar power :-).  

I have a quick disconnect on the neg post, you can see in the pic. The drain is purely temp and time. Sadly its easy for a week or two of sub freezing temps to kill a lead acid battery. 

Wish I had the money to just buy a red top but I need to get the car wrapped. 

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man thanks a bunch. I'm going EFI ITB for a bunch of reasons really. You dont see it often, in person out of 100 different s30s I havent seen it once in person actually. Never seen any anywhere like the ones I'm putting together too, thats always cool. Its more efficient both with max power and best mpg etc... all without really sacrificing anything. Still looks, sounds and feels just as good. It's even going to cost the same as what I'll get for the dcoe's so its tech free lol. Triples are awesome but they also have their quirks too. Bowls dry out over time, always end up smelling like gas etc...

There is also the future and forced induction (SC) to think about ;-)

I like it! Are you planning to keep the stock ignition circuitry or swapping to a coil pack setup?

It's a trickle/float charger its not designed to charge a discharged battery its designed to help maintain a fully charged battery. It does that by helping to offset the batteries natural discharge. It only needs to be .2v+ above the batteries rest voltage to work. 8v as I said was sun down with full clouds, which I thought was pretty good. 15v is what the controller is set to and will make in full sun, it can go as high at 17.7 at the controller or 21.6 right off the panel. It does need sun to do that though, kind of the catch with solar power :-).  

I have a quick disconnect on the neg post, you can see in the pic. The drain is purely temp and time. Sadly its easy for a week or two of sub freezing temps to kill a lead acid battery. 

Wish I had the money to just buy a red top but I need to get the car wrapped. 

Ya I know, but you still need over 12v to maintain regardless of discharge or parasitic loss.  If it makes that during the day, sweet ;)  As for red tops...they seem to have gone to crap over the last 10 years.  I have one in my DD that I got in ~2002 I think.  I've killed it numerous times and it still works great.  I had another one that was only a couple years old and it crapped itself and wouldn't hold a charge at all anymore.  This seems to be pretty common these days if you search around.  I picked up one of the grey SuperStart AGM batteries from O'Reilly's after reading pretty good user reviews on them, and the price is a lot better than the Optimas.  Works great, and I've let it sit for months at a time between starts and it holds its charge great (through my battery tender on it after 6 weeks and it instantly when from charge to maintain).

Your concern is appreciated but I dont just play a mech on tv lol. I'm well aware of how to charge or maintain a battery. Had I power in the garage there would be other options but it is what it is. I have friends using similar set ups who dont drive their cars at all in the winter and it floats enough power to keep them going so I'm confident it will be alright. 

I agree 100% about the Optima's, my bud actually just had a dead one we couldn't get a charge on even with a really good charger. A few years ago that was unheard of, by me at least. It seemed like impossible to kill them now I keep hearing about them dying and refusing a charge. Prices fell though didnt they? I thought I remember them being almost twice as expensive 10 years ago. Thats wha tI weight it against, I have seen them sell as cheap as 145 bucks for a new red top. Thats like what a decent regular lead acid battery costs anyway so...
 I have a red top in my xterra for years now that never complains. Even when I parked the truck for over a month to go to japan it started right up when I got back. Was like zero out a couple weeks ago and again right up no probs. 

I'll take your advice and check them out. We dont have many Oreillys around here but I'll do some review reading. For next winter I'm def going dry cell. The tender is more or less to get me out of this winter.

Wow! I started at the beginning and read through this entire thread and just... Wow. The ups and downs and disappointments and triumphs and all the work you've put in are just awesome! I was SOOO hoping to see the first car finished, but who wasn't, right? Good on you, man. And best of luck in the future. You seem like a great guy I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Thanks Camtron, it really hurt having to give up on the 72 after all that work but it was also great to finally get into a running z again. Bitter sweet deal.... 

The CF wrap Homeboyx? its SimCarbon 3d, 100 bucks for a 10'x5' roll. I found it 2nd only to 3m's stuff but its way cheaper. 

Ya its good, for small stuff its better to go with the 3m because its slightly easier and way more forgiving to work with. Its literally twice as expensive though. 100 bucks of 3m for about 5'x5' where as the simcarbon is 5'x10'. 

I'm def using 3m's 1080 for the base color. Going to cost maybe 500 for enough to do the s30. 

Was like a sweltering 41 degrees out today so I took the front flares off to wrap.

It was cloudy but mid day so I decided to check the solar tender. Not to shabby for a cloudy day.
IMG_20130213_155409_zpsfbb89bd2.jpg

On the down side the car stalled out while I was idling it. I didn't feel like figuring it out, maybe its out of gas or the filter is clogged. I'm going to order a glass filter and get some 93 octane next time I'm out. Its also bee idling on an incline a few times now maybe its just starved because of that. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got it last march lol, coming up on a year. 

Bonvo I'm poring everything, repairing some rust and starting to wrap the whole car in its new color. 

Me too DTP, I cant wait ti take another with everything freshly coated. The weather hasnt been cooperating 

So small update....

Car gods willing I'm going Sat to pick up a pair of 240's in PA. Seller states both were runners when parked a year ago, at the price he wants its impossible to pass up. So hopefully the 73, I'm told with a 71 drive train will be the base for swapping all the stuff in my 72 into. Also my friend (in my sig pic) may take the 2nd one which would be pretty bad ass.

Fingers crossed all goes well. I will most def be posting pics when it goes down.

IMG_20110730_121048.jpg

Im in love with the yellow one <3

• Like 2
Geeesssuuusss Jay ... your projects make my projects seem like i'm changing my oil ! :thumbup:

I have never seen a shorty tripple intake ... cooler than shit ... be really fun on low-end! My tripples were plenty of fun on a stock l24 haha. I've gotta start trolling hybridz again obviously

If his projects make you look like your changing oil...shit...i must not even have a project lol

I look up to both of you since im too scared (and intimidated and lazy) to do HALF the shit ive seen here.

The whole point of these build threads is to guide and motivate! Get crackin man

Lazy is a dif story lol. Its taking more and more weed to motivate me to go outside in the freezing cold to do shitty body work. I rather spend the good weather driving though :-D

The whole point of these build threads is to guide and motivate! Get crackin man Lazy is a dif story lol. Its taking more and more weed to motivate me to go outside in the freezing cold to do shitty body work. I rather spend the good weather driving though :-D

Haha its not necessarily laziness...Its more like...im broke lol

But on the positive side...i took the carbs in to get rebuilt today. I plan on checking the valves in a bit too...though it did drive this time last year so i don't see if the gap would be bad...but its also been sitting for a year...and 5-6 years before that. 

Im going to start a build thread here soon also...hopefully lol. Im just busy trying to catch up with High School and my photography and my girlfriend hahaha

But my '72 is for sure going places :D

Im glad to see youre still trucking. Im so glad i read this build thread..

Im going to bed now XP

So I have been trying to work. My mother is really sick and the weather has been garbage but I'm pushing on...
Here is one example of what I have been dealing with. 
IMG_20130226_140726_zpsa53d52b1.jpg
IMG_20130226_141253_zps24b5aca4.jpg
NYC skyline lol this is how you do body work right? 
IMG_20130226_143100_zps33007d80.jpg
My trusty helper por'd the front end. 
IMG_20130305_152543_zps3990a6e7.jpg
IMG_20130305_152552_zps1cebc066.jpg
Today I got the fenders, inspection lids and cowl primed. No pics though because the cam on my phone decided not to work. Just need to wet sand and finally I can start wrapping. Then onto the headlight bucket, hood and the whole front end (short of fabing jdm grill) will be done.