Jay's 72 S30

But of the two I'd have to go with the Momo. The Z is such a futuristic design, even today, and with the black dash and the more modern seats you are going to put in, I think it could sport the Mo.

ya the stock wheel always feels out of place to me

I'd like to see a Nardi option though!

this Nardi would be a good upgrade in styling while stil having a throw back to the stock wheel

nardi1.jpg

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you guys. Ya Thats the thing the stock wood to me is hot but slightly out of place. That momo is nice but idk something feels off about it. Maybe I'm thinking too much. I was thinking of trading or buying a Nardi for the reason skib mentioned. There are some really cool vintage Italvolanti's out there too.

Taylor_Wheel.jpg

Guess I'll keep the MOMO and see what happens. Have the stock just in case and I have a quick change adapter, could just buy another (and wheel) and swap wheels when ever I like.

So I have been lazy, cleaning up I found the original 240 rocker plates that say datsun. The ones I have on my car now are 280's that say nothing. So I redid them, Also redid the sills. I stripped the torn gross vinyl, painted them with por and then wrapped them in ultra suede. Also sanded and painted the dash vent cover, it was looking tired.

Before pics of all.

before001.jpg

before005.jpg

before004.jpg

Then after....

The vent cover I did in "low gloss"

suede005.jpg

rocker/sills

suede011.jpg

I love ultra suede, wish I could wrap more complicated contours.

suede009.jpg

this threads just completely full of fail wall to wall.. the cars just to damn nice.. i dont like your bandana or long hair.. you hippie pot smoker you.. whats with red brakes? everyone an they're mom does red.. why not something like pink, since you got long hair and all.. and clear coating the tranny? COME ON!! really? LOL!!

nah actually im just joking, i never noticed this thread before so i sat an had my self a nice little read, looks really good man, sorry i didnt see this before!

I welded the dif today. No time to make it pretty, people were waiting to go home from work. Drive train will be breaking long before this dif though so I'm more then happy. Now that it's dont I can reassemble and install the dif and my half shafts. Thats it for the mechanical side of the drive train 100% done. Time to start wiring..... oohhhhh nooooooooooooooooooo :unsure:

Did a gusset on both sides. I used 7018 rod, those plus the bevels gave really good penetration. just about to the back of the plate.

difweld001.jpg

I have given it thought actually, there are some SSS wheels I really like too as far as stock goes. Another one I really like but can't seem to figure out is this one....

steering_wheel.jpg

It's off turbofiles site they say from a 1200. There is no way it's stock. I LOVE that wheel, think it's perfect for me too. Anyone have a clue? Looks like vintage momo to me, like a "super indy" missing the outer holes.

• 2 weeks later...

Damnit, you gave me a reason to start posting on Ratsun again. And I have to get back to updating my project, it's weird how many of us end up going down the same utilitarian route with Zcars.

I love how you're pulling off raw and complete at the same time. Keep up the awesome work, and if you're interested I'll let you know when I'm passing through the area on my drive back to Boston/NH (moving back as soon as the l28et runs correctly, and the weather is reasonable).

Hey thanks man! Ya well the l28et just makes sense, so cost effective and easy. Think most of us do it as a stepping stone even if subcon haha. Although a few have taken it to that next level like Justin (280zforce). I have my eyes set on a tiny all alum v8 lol. l28ets30 then nl320 then back to the z :-).

Let me know when your making the journey I'll drop you my addy and number. I'm right by the gw bridge so I should be somewhat on the way. We can knock a few back.

Why no updates on your thread in so long?

Sorry, I've been updating but not here. I was on too many forums with too many people asking for updates way too often, and I just kinda let them slide and kept up on my site. I guess I have kinda let that slide as well, though. I'm about halfway through the new look for the site, and the new Ratsun header has given inspired me to go ahead and just draw something new up for it. I don't remember the guy's screenname who did it, but I did prowl through his art site and was pretty damned impressed. I'm really happy to see that Ratsun is willing to leverage the awesome community we have here, unlike some ... other ... forums. ahem.

I thought about the alu dohc v8 setup, and as cool-as-all-hell as it would be I don't think it's worthwhile for a daily driver. I don't want to go too crazy with my planning stages on my engine bay contents until I have suspension and electrical stuff completely sorted out. For now, a 300hp l28et with megasquirt and edis is perfect for a cross-country drive.

Well, you've inspired me. I'm updating my site now. Perhaps I'll post updates on all the different forums as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I put the car up for sale on nyzcc board, Just BO. Pretty fed up with breaking my balls 100% solo on this car and seemingly gaining no ground. Working in the freezing cold, in puddles, dripping water, on black top etc... I know lots of people do worse on here but w/e you better men then me. Got no money anyway, shits like hopeless.

Really doubt anyones going to hit the number I have in my head. I'll weigh out my options while doing w/e free or next to free stuff I can.

Todays kick in the crotch was replacing the front wheel studs with longer arp studs so I can run 10mm spacers. The inner wheels rub a little when full lock. With the spacers they are just fine, they fill the flares perfectly with as well.

I just thread on a old lug and banged them out. Then I was planning on using a lug and washers to pull them in but had to tap to seat them. Once I was tapping them to seat them so I could crank them in I said f this and banged them in, was much easier. If the hubs off the car there's not reason not too anyway.

ummm007.jpg

You end up with this.

ummm009.jpg

Also bolted the diff and companion flanges in to find out the cvs are too long. I had taken the word of someone who swore it was 100% bolt in and if I'm ever on the west coast he's in trouble. It's kind of what threw me over the edge.

Here is a comparison shot of the flanges. I'd have more pics but it was shortly after this one that I flipped a shit and began throwing things.

ummm006.jpg

Since the shafts are 25 spline I don't see many options. 1st thought 2 short zx shafts would work but they are 27spline I believe. I'm trying to hunt down a shop willing to cut the end off the companion flange side and re-spline it so its the correct length. Thats the easiest solution I can think of.

I really mentally and physically drained with this bs........

hey man dont let this get you down and dont give up!!! when you work threw the hard stuff the finished product is so much more rewarding like with my 610 i could have gotten a running or near running 4 door in oregon but i opted for the total project because the 2 door was what i really wanted and now look at it im driving it and i have the ability to say i built it it just makes you feel so proud of the car

i hope you dont give up on it you have come so far with this project it would be a shame to throw in the towel now

Thanks for the kind words guys they mean a lot to me. I'm doing what I can, but Idk anymore honestly. If someone gives me an out I'm taking it. In the mean time......

My friend hooked me up with bolt on 25mm spacers for the rear. Will help me to fill the flares better and I'm hoping if I push the wheels out a little my gas tank will clear. They could go out another 10mm or so the studs on the spacers are long enough but I don't like the idea of spacer stacking. Tomorrow I think I'll try and mount up the flares, I have the welting and nutserts already, so tech free.

25mil001.jpg

They stick out pretty nice to fill the flares.

25mil003.jpg

My lovely assistant

25mil007.jpg

They look alright in a mock up.

25mil010.jpg

• Like 1

Damn, its alot harder to find good lookin help like that out here!

Yeah, sucks when it seems like its all dead ends, but man- if you got rid of it,

you would be waking up at night pissed off at all the work you put into it with only a couple bucks to show for it!