Jay's 72 S30

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sourced a cheap vented hood, I have been looking for a while now. Also scored a cheap IMSA 3 piece spoiler. The hood was in okay shape, it had been repainted and the clear was pitted, bubbled and peeling but the paint was good so I decided not the totally strip it, still needed a good amount of work though. 
The spoiler was trash, complete garbage. One whole edge was broke off, the cast is wavy and to boot it seems to be a type that over-rides the rear edge, which I think looks like ass. The NJZCC show is right around the corner and I dont have time to try and find another though so I trimmed the rear lip off and fit it the best I could. Which was a nightmare too, it fits terribly. I think I have to at least acceptable now though, in the pics its primes but I dipped it today and it came out pretty good. 

After a lot of sanding and filling, ready to be primed. 
plandsandzhoodspoiler012_zps318a3e26.jpg

Primed and ready for wrap.
plandsandzhoodspoiler017_zps3db827f6.jpg

plandsandzhoodspoiler015_zps30d17125.jpg

Dipped vents and I reflective taped the rear vent plate that sites on the intake/exhaust side. I dont think its going to do anything but I had some left over and though it would look good lol. 
plandsandzhoodspoiler018_zps0bbd0aaa.jpg

Ready for a final wet sand and the dip. 
plandsandzhoodspoiler016_zps65c0797d.jpg

Hopefully tom wrapping goes smooth so I can get the spoiler mounted too and take some pics. 

Hey thanks :-). I didnt think the splitter was going to have such a drastic improvement. There was never very much float for me even at over 100 but any that was there is gone, as is any quirliness at speed. The front end at 65+ feels very stable now and it even eliminated a vibration I was having between 60-65. I attest all that not just to the aerodynamic effect but also making the front end much more ridged and tied together. I used spacers made of 1" pvc pipe and ld28 head bolts to tie the rear of the splitter in to the rear of the tow hook mounts. As well as screws along the lip and the supports right to the bumper supports, most people mount those to the air damn. All those things REALLY made things stiff up front. 

I looked on google and amazon, ebay too. I found these on ebay for 28 shipped. they were the cheapest while still not looking like chinese crap.The package said make in the USA too. No regrets, they arent the best ever but for the price I cant find any complaints at all. 

• Like 1

I looked on google and amazon, ebay too. I found these on ebay for 28 shipped. they were the cheapest while still not looking like chinese crap.The package said make in the USA too. No regrets, they arent the best ever but for the price I cant find any complaints at all.

I'm all for solutions that work for now. Have a link to them? I'd love to get my front end buttoned up before winter, and my alumalite is just sitting under the car waiting to be attached.

I have been lurking for a while and need to do an introduction, but I didn't realize that I have met a few of you on this board before. 

I went to one of the NJZCC meets a few months ago and saw this car in person, and it looks amazing. Better than any picture can show. 

os42.jpg

Here's a picture I snagged at the show.

Oh hey look at that, small world. Its great to meet up with people on ths side of the country lol. 

Thanks for the kind words, your z is def nice too. Def do an intro and build thread so everyone can get acquainted!

So I wrapped the hood and mounted the spoiler. I have to fill the gaps on the spoiler. It looked REALLY bad when I got it, I had to put so much work into it just to get it where it is. It still needed like 5-6 hours of fitting though sadly. 

Also if you drill something dipped you need to cut a whole in the dip 1st of the drill bit will start wrapping and sucking it off :-(. Needless to say I have to respray a corner... 

All said and done though I'm  really happy with the new hood/spoiler/splitter. Way more aggressive.
win003_zps379f3d45.jpg

win005_zps19e3f07c.jpg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So finally an update. Most of you know the winter we have been having. Coupled with getting a job that has me traveling the country doing clinical IT has left this project a little stagnant. 

Then out of left field I found an ebay auction for an oldschool draw through turbo set up and decided it would be a nice easy step while I plan bigger build plans in the future. It's also comparable in price so once again I can almost break even selling one bunch of parts for another. Those are my favorite lol. 
I'm kind of counting my eggs before they hatch here as I haven not eceived this yet. Its paid for though. 
001_zpsea13dfc3.jpg

002_zpsfdcea6c2.jpg

Thats a new webber dcoe 45 and a set up from a brand I have yet to figure out. It definitely needs work just looking at it but I see some potential there for sure. I'm going to start a thread soon about this type of set up as I've done a ton of reading ont he topic but can't say I have ever had the opportunity to work with it. Some of the reasons I'm going this way, its new, old school, not common etc... I hate seeing the same stuff at shows and truth be told I have never seen one of these in person even at Z con. 

Then as luck would have it asking around for a P90 head a friend of mine (Clive) put me in touch with a club member who had a whole l28et long block just hanging out waiting for me to buy. I picked it up today. It's supposedly from a running car but you know thats never good enough so I'm going to break it down asap and see whats really there. I am debating between working the head and using the block in my car now (flat top F54) as I know it to only have 40k or so miles on a rebuild and I know what I have done with it already to date. The alternative is to rebuild the turbo block and do a full swap. Right now I think I will use the head to get the set up running and maybe do rebuild or 3.0 build on the l28et F54. That seems win win to me. 
unnamed_zpsec00c6c7.jpg

Doing research I have found a lot of good and bad things about these set ups but more then not I have found experienced people happy with the results. There are a lot of people on the 24 hour lemons forums that have run this set up on their datsuns (makes sense right? lol) and claim running up to 12lbs with no major mods. If I can modify the dizzy to retard the timing in boost and hook up a diy H2O injection set up to get me to 1 bar on this type of set up I will be very happy. So thats the goal I'm setting for myself. 

I plan to pick up a wide band this coming week and dig out the boost gauge I picked up while in Japan. Pretty excited to finally get to use that lol. I'm going back to Japan for the whole month of April so I'm unsure how this is going to progress but at least something is happening... 

• Like 1

It was over 50 degrees today so I couldnt resist unwrapping my present lol. My friend has my engine hoist AND my dolly so I had not choice but to break the engine down in the back of my truck so I could get it out of there, good times... 
Looks like a 80-120k mile motor to me, original, Nissan HG.
Pretty clean, no sludge. 

unnamed1_zpsf291a70e.jpg

a little carbon build up and generic bs plugs but not bad looking
unnamed2_zps3a22a9f8.jpg

some more carbon build up on the piston but excellent cross hatching.
unnamed3_zpsd37fa9d1.jpg

All in all a good buy imho. Still trying to decide how far to take the head, I have some nismo alum spring retainers for the longest now to install, if I do that then I may as well cut the seats and do a mild port job... Hard not to get sucked into the while your at it trap. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Dude I just plowed through this whole thread and had to register to comment. What you've done here is amazing. 

Your craftsmanship is top notch and your dedication, wow man you've got some determination. 

Wow, thank you so much for the kind words man! Means a lot to me for sure. 

• Like 2

It was another nice weekend so I did some more work. I'm kind of limited since I have like 20 parts/tools on order but I did what I could. 
Friday I picked up some cleaning stuff and soaked the head in a bag of simple green so I could clean it up on saturday. It's a pretty straight forward method...
Here is a clean up sample using just a toothbrush. 
20140307_163115_zps20d678b2.jpg

Pretty dirty head to start with, maybe I would have been better off paying a shop the couple bucks to hot tank it but idk. I hate paying for anything I can do myself...
20140308_151821_zpsd4163ea6.jpg

Here the head mostly done cleaning stacked with the other stuff. I cant remove the valves yet because my old spring compressor went MIA and the new one is in the mail. Once thats taken care of I can start porting. 

20140308_173158_zpse1bbfcc7.jpg

Here is a little bonus. I had looked a long time for a comparison between GSXR tb's and a DCOE and never found anything so here is a pic I snapped. 
Its pretty close, I'm thinking I can toy with msns using these and have a quick turn over, maybe towards the end of summer or something. 
20140307_164036_zpsbbfdd87b.jpg

• Like 2

...Here is a little bonus. I had looked a long time for a comparison between GSXR tb's and a DCOE and never found anything so here is a pic I snapped. 

Its pretty close, I'm thinking I can toy with msns using these and have a quick turn over, maybe towards the end of summer or something. 

20140307_164036_zpsbbfdd87b.jpg

I'm interested in collaborating on something like that. This project has been waiting on the side for awhile, and I'd love to get back to it at some point.

8835345275_efbe83dfdc_b.jpg

• Like 1

Haha cool, you know I have 6 of them lined up too just sitting in my garage. Which carbs are those in your pic? What are your plans to implement them? 

I see they sell dcoe plates, Im thinking with mine I can space them out a bit and just press fit them into a plate and call it a day. 

• Like 1

Haha cool, you know I have 6 of them lined up too just sitting in my garage. Which carbs are those in your pic? What are your plans to implement them? 

I see they sell dcoe plates, Im thinking with mine I can space them out a bit and just press fit them into a plate and call it a day. 

These are the 38mm from a 98 gsxr 750, if I remember correctly. I just added some threads to some rod to get all 6 spaced accordingly and started on an intake manifold design. Haven't had a chance to finish the manifold, but as soon as that's done it's ready to go on the 240z (with a pair of n42's with vac-advance distributors) and start tuning. Hopefully I'll sell the car, engines, transmissions, and carbs before I finish the project, but I don't mind working on it in the meantime.