Jay's 72 S30

Pushing on Clive! 
Dude talk about see in person I STILL haven't seen your 3.0, getting ridiculous now!

I wet sanded the fenders, cowl and inspection lids today in the snow. Kind of makes sense if you think about it lol. 
IMG_20130307_161116_zps3aaa9a42.jpg
Only got to wrap the cowl though because it was such a pita with all those slits. Tom I'm going to try and knock out both fenders. 
Teaser pic :-)
IMG_20130308_015605_zps5ac086c3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So my mother just passed which really sucks. Between that heart break and this bullshit weather its been hard to get things done. I have been doing some body work though. Its a real shit show, the cars been painted 3 times and the last one was def done by some dipshit. He just painted right over chips, flaws, bubbling paint, trim etc... I really wish I could meet the person. So anyway body work is boring but here are some pics. I hope to have the doors and hatch ready to wrap by the end of the week. Then I have to fl down to FL for the funeral and shitty times. Then when I come back up next week all I will have to do is the body itself and everything can be wrapped. A tall order though because the rockers, sills and rear valance need a lot of work. I expect the bare body to take a good week. 

A lot of hidden corrosion under the doors. Can't wait to por lol. 
zdom007_zpsd24c28d7.jpg

There is a lot of this around all trim and rubber since the douche nozzle who painted the car yellow did no prep work. 
zdom011_zps820641c3.jpg

There was like twice as much paint picked off along with a couple bondo surprises after I removed the lock, sanded and what not but it was cold so I didnt stop to take a pic. 
zdom014_zps9837431c.jpg

Got some filler and finish work done on the door but outside in this cold it takes forever to cure. I didnt fill the large mirror hole because I haven't decided on mirrors. Its most likely going to be fender mirrors in which case I'l fill the wholes in.
 On a side note carrying all this shit up and down a flight of stairs and a block really blows. Always forget how much this shit weighs until I have to carry it 100 yards. 
zdom015_zps84fbccdc.jpg

Better times and more pics to come soon hopefully :-/

• 4 weeks later...

Okay big update, I have been working like mad to get the z on the road. Tons of never ending ody work, then interior work and now I'm in the middle of wrapping and re-assembly. 

Holes everywhere I look, I por'd the back after repair
zstuff001_zps762dca59.jpg
zstuff003_zps248fb969.jpg
Sayaka por'd the backs of everything I should say lol
zstuff016_zps150d76ca.jpg
zstuff017_zps9d4602c9.jpg
Hey more holes, shocking...
zstuff041_zpsf5bcc3c1.jpg
Sills painted, the hatch area as well. 
zstuff057_zps5d6fdcef.jpg
After like 100+ hours of bullshit ready to wrap. 
zstuff055_zps48a12622.jpg
zstuff094_zps83b00b25.jpg
More on that wrapping part later ;-)

Did some interior work, tore out the black to replace with the red I resto's was earlier in this thread. 
Stock pain was perfect so I left it lone, the only exception was under the driver side seat which I'll por down the road a bit when I do some other spots. 
zstuff066_zps338f2d80.jpg
One piece at a time
zstuff077_zps4e4fbf0f.jpg
sprayed the backs of the plastic pieces with bedliner, a z club member did and it seemed to make his car much quieter. I have read of other people doing it as well with positive results. It makes sense if you think about it...
zstuff070_zps0727d718.jpg
Installed the loop and Schroth belts I got while in Japan last April. 
zstuff078_zps36868719.jpg

• 2 months later...

So months ago I posted about the power lead unsoldering itself from the stalk switch in the column. That was the 1st signal my headlights needed attention. Then a couple weeks ago at a meet my fuse box decided to start melting. So headlights became a priority and I havent been driving the Z at night. Working on the 70 has gobbled most of my time and money but thanks to some generous help from my friend los I converted to HID's this week. The roads in greater nyc are some of the worst int he country, having 40yo headlights was just not cutting it at night so I'm ecstatic to be able to see now. 

Its a modified double relay harness with ballasts I dont remember the name of (older) using glass motorcycle H4 housings and Bi-xenon 5k bulbs. No more high voltage running through the column and ridiculously bright light, score lol. 

1073071_10151533395068173_1338966231_o.j

Next I'm going to get a universal 12 fuse box(2 for expansion) and wire it up to be plug and play. Then no more janky glass fuses that dont blow and let shit unsolder and or melt. I was bidding on an MSA one last week that was at 60 all week then jumped to over 150 in the last minute. Screw all that I'll just make one. 

I also need to reflock the dash from the 72 and swap that in with LED's. Then even less voltage running around and a crack free dash with a working speedo. Though I have become so used to not having a speedo I dont really miss it lol. 

• Like 1

Those look great on your Z Jay !!

(I was initially thinking that would look very obnoxious to be honest :lol:)

It seems the head-light issue plagues all z-owners .. doh !!!

I've been dreading doing that in my yellow 73' lol ( too many cars , projects , not enough time :lol: )

• Like 1

They are kind of obnoxious in their brightness but they look stockish at least lol. I was thinking of projectors but I just dont like that bug eye look. 
You dont have to go HID you can just install a relay harness and some basic H4 bulbs/housings and you'll be sitting pretty for sure. The bulbs housings and a harness will cost you maybe 50 bucks. Shit MSA wants 160 just for their harness lol. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I made an air splitter and installed it. Was actually a pita but I think it turned out well. Total cost was a whopping 65 dollars. 
This is the 1st of some aero mods coming. I'm on the hunt for a spoiler and plan to try and fab a rear diffuser 

zconandsplitterheaven053_zpsc0076304.jpg

zconandsplitterheaven055_zps784cad4f.jpg

zconandsplitterheaven054_zps12310c10.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks guys... Aiden be sure to come out to the starbucks meet Thursday so you can check out the z and we can shoot the shit a bit! I have a spoiler in the mail, hopefully it comes before Thursday so I can paint it and install.  

Adam they are most definitely obnoxious, extremely bright with no remorse. People are constantly pissed at me for blinding them both oncoming and when behind. Some actually pull over or turn around to get behind me and put their brights on just to screw with me. The up side is I can see into the future with them lol, no more running into potholes doing 60mph because I couldnt see. My friend donated the whole set up which I'm very grateful for so it is what it is at the moment, options are limited when your broke. 

Right now I'm trying to decide if I should spend 120 on good h4 housings that have an awesome cut off or spend 140-160 for rdx projectors and hack them into plastic housings. 
These housings are non projector but have what I would say is a very impressive cut off. Roght is bi-zenon in the 60 buck each housings, left is a stock 350z. There is some swirling on the h4 but wow it looks good.
LowBeam-Right_zpse688bc5f.jpg

This is rdx projector which is pretty popular with people for diy stuff. I would just cut a hole in a cheaper housing and epoxy them together. Seems easy enough but aligning them would prob be a bit of a pain. Idk, I dont like the bug eye look of projectors on a classic car, they seem out of place. Nice cut off and throw though for sure. 
img0673f.jpg

Possible 3rd option is the dapper lighting classics, they have a motor which allows you to keep your high beams and looks good with a quality projector h4 housing. The price is just outrageous to me though. 

I wish the h4 housings I posted 1st came just a little cheaper, for 100 I would just order them. Money is so tight at the moment though. People are going to suffer a bit until I can afford to work it out.

Please let me know how the Hella housings work out for you Adam.  

Will do. My buddy, Doc, has the same Hellas on his Z, with PIAA bulbs. He loves them. I didn't spring for the PIAA bulbs, but got some decent Hella plasma bulbs instead. Supposed to be white on high, and yellow on low.

Do you know what wattage your HID bulbs are? I had 35w HID's in my last 4Runner, which weren't overkill, but my 55w HID off road lights were ridiculously bright.

Check my thread in a week or so, and I should have mine installed.

Hey thanks rattdat, its nice to have a wife I can pressure into helping me ya haha. 

Ya none of the flares contour natural to the body, they need to be held down. It seems disconcerting but once they are though its smooth sailing. 

Hey thanks rattdat, its nice to have a wife I can pressure into helping me ya haha. 

Ya none of the flares contour natural to the body, they need to be held down. It seems disconcerting but once they are though its smooth sailing. 

Perfect. :thumbup:  I was also wondering, the vinyl that you used on the rear valance and bumpers. Is this the 3m nidoc stuff?