Jay's 72 S30

Finally finished them today. I think they came out damn nice, but what do I know? :D

I just re peaned the 3 points to hold the tripods on, seemed to work alright.

One of the clamps wasn't in the box, didn't notice until today. I'll pick one up and slap it on at some point.

cv3006.jpg

cv3007.jpg

Can't wait to dive into the diff next.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got started on the differential today. It took SOOOOOOO long to chisel all the rust and concrete style mud away.

A layout shot after basic cleaning.

diff004.jpg

Sore hands lol

diff009.jpg

Ready for paint, I went over that entire diff like 4 times with a wire wheel, ugh.

diff012.jpg

Painted diff, cleared the alum

diffpaint2002.jpg

I have new shaft/rear seals, just have to cut and weld up some 3/8 plate to the spiders and I'm good to put it all back together and install.

Jay- by the end of this build, you will be qualified to build an entire car from scratch, top to bottom!!

I don't think there's a bolt you haven't touched on that machine. REALLY cool to watch you rebuild the CV's !

awaiting next post....

Jay- by the end of this build, you will be qualified to build an entire car from scratch, top to bottom!!

I don't think there's a bolt you haven't touched on that machine. REALLY cool to watch you rebuild the CV's !

awaiting next post....

i'm liking your z. from the picks it looks like flat black. is this the look you are going for? will it turn to gloss black when you spray clear c

coat?

awaiting next post....

i'm liking your z. from the picks it looks like flat black. is this the look you are going for? will it turn to gloss black when you spray clear c

coat?

Thanks guys. :-)

Ben I'll have to actually finish the car 1st lol.

It's a matt black, a JD tractor paint haha. I plan to keep it that way my goal was that picture of me taking the tape of the hatch. It reflects but not in a glossy way, know what I mean?

You can clear flats, satins, matts etc but it doesn't look like regular automotive gloss cleared. I can't find an example to show, it's cool imo from what I have seen but it's definitely an entirely different style.

Here is an example of a flat paint and flat clear... http://www.tunerzine.com/articles/203/images/_DSC9371.jpg a gloss clear over a flat looks pretty similar just obviously glossier. I hope that explains it lol.

I got some lazy work done today. Chopped up some 3/8 plate for blocks to weld into the diff. It's sooooo annoying to cut stuff that thick with a grinder, I really need to pick up a band saw at auction. Make my life easier lol.

They're not perfect but cut me some slack ha

difplates001.jpg

Look very nice in place though

difplates002.jpg

I also degreased everything really well afterward. Just have to weld up those plates and I can assemble and install everything.

Nothing major, I painted the drive shaft. It's the last part of the drive train I had to though so that's good. Found and cleaned all the remaining hardware too. Been so cold and we just got this 1.5ft of snow blah, don't feel like doing shit.

I just need to weld the diff then I can install and be finished with the drive line. Then begins the wiring fun, oh the joy lol.

ds003.jpg

Edited by 72240z

Today was vinyl resto day. I dug my stock vinyl out from under the stairs and got to work. It was faded, had some minor tears, lots of mold, filthy etc... but I don't have money to buy a new one so...

I decided to try SEM's vinyl dye which from reading seems like the best there is, 2nd is maybe DuPont but I boycott their shit. There is only like 2 places that stock it in the tri state, and they don't sell to the public so I had to use a business name. Total cost was about 30 bucks plus gas.

Follow the strut tower area on it's journey lol. It's actually pretty drastic.

It was 19 degrees out today so I had to wash everything in the tub. I used dish washing soap and a plastic bristle brush. You can see how faded, dirty and just down right screwed up they are.

yikesandvinyl004.jpg

yikesandvinyl005.jpg

yikesandvinyl006.jpg

Look at the color of the water after lol.

yikesandvinyl008.jpg

washed and ready to be degrease and sprayed with adhesion promoter. Which is just more degreaser to clean and soften the vinyl so it soaks up the dye.

yikesandvinyl010.jpg

yikesandvinyl011.jpg

After all the prep time to lay some dye. This shit is REALLY nasty, I did the tack coat with no mask and almost passed out. It's worse then a 3 part clear.

yikesandvinyl015.jpg

yikesandvinyl016.jpg

Just about dry

morevinyl004.jpg

morevinyl002.jpg

What a world of difference, and the cost can't be beat. There is a lot of labor involved and some need to know techniques but nothing too crazy at all.

High on not one (like usual) but three chemical substances, thank you SEM, the gift that keeps on giving.

yikesandvinyl022.jpg

Edited by 72240z
  • Like 1

I just got back from picking up 350z seats in LI. New years eve in this crap weather but for $180 cash who could pass it up?

Besides the dust and wet spots they are perfect. No stains, creases or tears of any kind. WOOT

350zseats002.jpg

• Like 1

Jay,

Love the flat black ! where did ya get it ? , and how much did you use (before reduction? , paint guy estimated 1 gallon for me ) I'll be painting my 71 this spring/summer and don't want to pay too much if ya know what I mean.

loving the vinyl work.

Killer Project Man !

:rofl: your mom gets 100pts Jay :cool:

and that vinyl came out really nice!

Hey thanks skib, I'm glad she was there or I was screwed lol.

I'm shocked how well the vinyl came out. After it dried over night it darkened more to an exact match with the doors and plastics. The dye really gets in there too, I scratched at the sample with my nail, rubbed it with a white cloth folded/creased it etc.. damn durable.

Jay,

Love the flat black ! where did ya get it ? , and how much did you use (before reduction? , paint guy estimated 1 gallon for me ) I'll be painting my 71 this spring/summer and don't want to pay too much if ya know what I mean.

Jealous , my mom would never help me with that :cool:

loving the vinyl work ( now I am starting to think about doing mine damn it ) ! and have been looking for some upgrade z seats myself , can you let me borrow them ( I'll give them back when I'm done ? of course my ass grooves would be molded in by then , aaaaaaahhhhhhh yyyyeeeeaaaa :D )

Killer Project Man !

Hey thanks, It's matte and it's John Deere tractor paint. They only sell it in gallons (that I could find anyway.) and to do 5 coats was like 2/5ths-1/2 of a gallon. They suggest using their primer as well, thats why it's yellow. When I picked it up 3 years ago it was like 100 bucks for the gallon and 20 bucks for the primer.

All kidding aside give the z33 seats a thought if your looking, they are shockingly light, low and comfortable.

Kind of a BS update, I cleaned the seats up quick fast. Very pleased with the results. I really wish this 18 degree weather would break so I can start getting this shit back into the car and out of my way. :unsure:

Here is a before and after.

seats001.jpg

Both just about done.

seats002.jpg

What came off them lol.

seats004.jpg

The guy said they were in his basement for years, I guess he wasn't bsing. They weren't moldy or foul smelling at all but god damn if they weren't dusty as all hell.

I have been working on my dash and center console. Just really trying to think of things I can do in my basement so I don't have to be in the carport outside in the sub freezing temps.

Flock youuuuuuuu

My original dash was perfect, uncracked or molested but you know it's not worth $800 to me to keep it so away it went lol. Which means I got more for that dash then I paid for the car. :lol:

Anyway I had another dash under my porch for like 2 years now from a parts car, all cracked to hell. I was going to use the frame for a custom deal, maybe CF or glass etc... but really just can't find a design or dash I like more then the original so that plan was scraped.

What I'm doing is sealing the edges and filling the cracks of the dash with silicone to make it more stable and bond the cracked sections back together then sealing the cracks with putty cote. There was also some screws missing that hold the foam to the frame so I added those back too.

Three huge cracks in the top then a medium one each corner and like 20 nicks and dents all over. I threw the thing around not thinking I'd ever use it lol, oh well.

dashbondo004.jpg

Sanded down the high points of the cracks that bow up and gave the rest a good once over for uniformity and to take and random burrs out.

dashbondo015.jpg

I'm doing the center console too because I want it to match and I want to fill the 2 holes some ass hat drilled in it as well as the choke knob slit that I'll never be using. I sanded the rise out of the choke slit too so it all matches nicely.

dashbondo018.jpg

I cut up a home depot card for the backing and just epoxied it in. I think it's funny how it worked out. :D

dashbondo021.jpg

Everything took like 1 solid coat then a touch up coat of putty but the cracks were suck a pita because of the contours, took like 4 coats. In any event ready to get flockin.

dashbondo030.jpg

dashbondo031.jpg

dashbondo027.jpg

I hope tomorrow I can build a little room of drop cloth and get flocking.

Wait a minute un-cracked , original dash ? woooooowwwwwww ! :hyper: :frantics: :D , but ya sold it ? :bye: , and nearly paid for the car , very nice ! :thumbup: There should have been an epic un-vailing of the crack free dash ! LOL ! Nice work man , I honestly am too lazy to go through and fill in all the cracks after a past dash project I did ( didn't exactly come out the way I wanted , but ohhhh weellll ! and now how to go about it , hahaha ! )

There was a myth at Sam Barlow High-School that Shop Students dissasembled a small car , and re-assembled in the pool area then left it for a senior prank ! lol ! Just a thought if you want to shine on the car in the basement , hell make it your new bed :thumbup: ( I had my L24 engine in my room for a while ! LOL ! I know that's pretty bad :rofl: ) Impressive ! That dash stuff is a lot of work !

It more then paid for the car lol. Idk a crack free dash isn't worth even close to that much to me, much rather put the money into function.

Don't let the past get you down, it only gets better after the 1st time. :-)

Okay I got flocking today and I have to say I am very pleased. Pics online do it NO justice, online pics I saw have it looking like audio carpet or something like that because of the sheen off the fibers but no, it looks like suede in person. Im going post pics with and without flash Idk I can't seem to take a pic that even comes close to showing how good this looks in person.

Ready to be degreased and glued. I made sure to hang the drop cloth like a funnel so that picking up excess fibers would be easier. It worked very well.

flockyou002.jpg

All glued up, it's actually the same consistency as por15 so I was already damn familiar with how to lay it thick and even.

flockyou003.jpg

flockyou004.jpg

Dash done and looking sweet. Even it looking bad in the pics looks WAYYYYYY better then how it started.

flockyou005.jpg

flockyou010.jpg

flockyou006.jpg

flockyou011.jpg

The center console came out nice too.

flockyou012.jpg

flockyou013.jpg

I honestly can't wait to get all the trim and gauges and what not back in to add the contrast. SO happy with the result ugh lol. Give me a week of like 40 degree weather so I can get all the stuff back in the car AHH!!!!!!!

Like some kind of plant smoker I forgot to do the glove box door. So I just did it now at 12:30am friday night. I sure know how to party.... poor girlfriend lol.

Ready to begin

glovebox001.jpg

Break it down to get the emblem off.

glovebox003.jpg

Flocking goodness

glovebox005.jpg

The emblem is tired I'm going to resto that up tom.

glovebox008.jpg