Jay's 72 S30

Is that fuel tank baffled at all, or is it going to be sloshing back and forth across that whole length?

Hey man! I was just checking out your thread....nice build!

Just a little info on the gas tank. A marine gas tank is more likely to be baffeled because of free surface effect. If a boat were to roll side to side in heavy weather all of the fuel would rush to one side making it possible to flip it over! Just thought you might like to know. Again, sweet S30!:cool:

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey thank you :-).

Ya I have to section out a piece because I'm a few inches over in width. So if when I cut her open its baffled all the better, I'll still use the extinguisher as a collection tank just to make sure on hill climbs and what not there's no starvation. Really hope it's baffled well, will save me the money and trouble of a 2nd pump.

• 1 month later...

It's getting cold here, work is slow going. Some slight progress though.

I had to modify my puller, the arms wouldn't fit inside and I couldn't find my large slide hammer to use the insert that spreads the arms so..... I ground down the arms a little bit and jammed an already broken drill bit between the arms. I knew I saved it for a reason lol.

shittonne021-1.jpg

New bearing and main seal, I cleaned the threads witha tap but didn't take a pic. Idk what the hell is in there, straw?

shittonne023.jpg

Dust shield, pre-degreased flywheel, Exedy clutch, spec p plate (240mm)

shittonne024.jpg

shittonne025.jpg

shittonne026.jpg

I also got to work on the r180 3.7:1 rear dif and cvs from one of the 810's I parted. The companion flanges I already cleaned and painted but I have to weld the spiders and rebuild the cvs. Something I can do inside at least.

shittonne027.jpg

shittonne029.jpg

It's a healthy dif, the driver side shaft seal is new and so is the fluid. I guess it was repaired prior to me getting my hands on it. I'm going to play it safe and replace both just so I don't have to worry about it.

Edited by 72240z
  • Like 1

I got the motor and trans in today, alone lol. Was a bit ruff but it got done. A serious achievement for this never ending project.

Ready to begin....

eaglehaslanded001.jpg

The only thing I absolutely needed help with was someone to push the back of the tranny down while I pushed the cherry picker forward. My balancer is on loan. Who was the only person around? My 60yo mother :lol: What a trooper......

eaglehaslanded005.jpg

eaglehaslanded006.jpg

eaglehaslanded008.jpg

eaglehaslanded011.jpg

I feel so accomplished like for once in a long while I actually got something serious done with this giant paper weight lol. Idk why it is I can build entire cars for custies and not get this damn thing on the rd. Maybe the same reason most plumbers have shitty bathrooms......

Edited by 72240z

Rockin Jay! Did you take advantage of the killer weather we had today? 60 degrees up here in MA! I totally had to get out htere and get that 59 running today!

I hear you on the cold though. I am a wimp when it comes to cold. And all that metal just freezing my balls off. No thanks!

Ah I was wondering then just saw the 2nd post lol :lol:

I had to take advantage lol 65 here!!!!

I was shocked she agreed to help, she's got to be getting tired of this car sitting too haha

The cold totally kicks my ass, def built for more tropical weather. If I had a garage or something it would be easier but in a carport on black top at below 50 degrees? It gets a little bit ruff lol.

Edited by 72240z

100% bolt in but because of the companion flanges, they are the zx bolt pattern but a s30/510 tooth count. Out of 80-83 810/maximas.

You wouldn't need an adapter to run a zx stock lsd either if the person didn't want an r180, with a proper mustache bar it too would be a bolt in deal.

Glad to see the motor back in! Matter a fact......a motor in!!!

Engine bay looks great and I wish I was that far on my build. Now it looks like you will be with us next spring! One of these nights I should come on down. I am using my work pc so no aim.....reason why you havn't seen me onine much. Are you still going to use the subi diff? Enough enough....glad you are gettin it done!

Thanks Clive, I know it must be nice to see something getting done after the like 2 years of my shit talk you've endured. Maybe a v8? maybe a bimmer I6? Maybe a l28et? Rb? v12?blah blah......

I was wondering where the hell you went, then I saw the post about the busted computer. Didn't know you were rocking the work comp. What exactly happened to yours? Something fixable?

You should come down and have a beer soon, I got your ld28 valve cover/spare tire tie down and visors lol.

I hope to use the subi dif but looking at my old thread on hbz and that guy that picked up where I left off it seems more involved then I wanted. He just went all out custom though, I was hoping that I could splice the cvs I'll be using(or zx w/e) with the imput shaft ends from the subi that dif came out of. Thought that if it would work that way it would be such a simple and great option.

pc: fixable but gave it away already. Needed a new bios on the motherboard...o well. Took the HD out and will look for a nice replacement.

Yeah I will come down there soon. I am just trying to get ready for winter myself. Lots of parts to sell and looking for a 510 or just going to move fwd with the turbo project. I think I just want something different to play/work on.

I am being really lazy right now....you plan on running stock turbo for now? I don't know if you saw on hbz, big_phil put down almost 400 @ the wheels on stock block, mild head job and 20+ lbs :blink:

Ah that sucks, should have just fixed it man lol.

Ya I been keeping an eye out for you, I heard you were looking. We both knew at some point you would be lmao. Can only home run a Z so many times lol.

Ya but big phil also destroyed one of his motors doing that if I recall lol. At that point if that l28 even hiccups its blown. I plan to run stock and get it smooth after the swap then slowly build up to maybe 300hp. At a steady reliable 300hp I'll prob move on to...... the dream motor :-)

Edited by 72240z

I should have stayed away from this site! Now I want a coupe and goon.

Yeah that is a great idea just to get it running and running well, no need to blow her up. Dave C. I believe should have 300hp and the car runs well!

Fill me in now....what is the current dream motor?

Also you gotta start posting on NYZCC!

Ya I hope to have a 320 myself thnx to a couple key members here. This site turns datsuns in gen into crack lol. Came here with and loving s30's a year later I want a 320nl a 1200ute a 610sss, expensive dreams :lol:.

Dave has a very well tuned car all round, he's owned and been working on it so long it just flat out feels dependable, but with good power. If I got to his engine performance level I'd move on...... To a BMW m60 v8, its ALL alum 3 liter dohc v8, either high comp ITB with 180degree headers or ,modest t28 TT, 6 speed of course. I have it all mapped out to like 3k/4kTT if I do ALL the fabbing myself, once I'm at 300hp on the l28et I'll bank a few bills and sell the whole swap, ready to go lol.

Once the z is running though I plan to sell my truck and find a 320 shell to build into my rig. I NEED a 320, ANY 320 even a goon, shit esp a goon.

5 year plan? lol

Last time I posted on NYZCC it was a fiasco. I'm out of the loop no one knows me, even noobs giving me shit lol.

Edited by 72240z
I should have stayed away from this site! Now I want a coupe and goon.

I like the sound of that!! I mean between us how many goons or dimes have we seen rolling in the NE. I for one have never seen one (Though I've never made it to an import show yet.)

Other than a few Z's I have seen like one 710 at a Chilies.

I will keep my eyes out too! Jay man you just missed that 320 that sold for $800 bones in CT this past summer! Really straight truck!

You know I will keep my eyes out for y'all! We can't buy them all so we gotta get our friends too!

I got started on rebuilding the cv's today. Would you believe that they are pressed/peened together? I have seen/done 280zxt, z31, z32, pathy/d21 fronts, q45, 180sx etc.. cvs and ALL used a convenient snap ring, not my 810's though, bastards lol. Datsun had to do it the hard way, then nissan did it right. :fu:

Anyway a few pics....

Chop chop

cvrebuild001.jpg

It's hard to get a good shot but dead center you can see one of 3 peen points.

cvrebuild002.jpg

The (hopeful) solution since I don't have a press.

cvrebuild004.jpg

All said and done.

cvrebuild005.jpg

Everything is in surprisingly good shape, no odd wear or scratches/dents of any kind. I'm going to squeaky clean them, paint, grease and assemble.

Edited by 72240z

Way to go Jay! Car looks great. :)

After looking at the halfshafts, one thing that makes the inner boots replaceable is to use the inner tulip from an M30 halfshaft. I did this with mine on the 240 just because I didn't want to go through the hassle of putting on those bastard metal ringed boots.

Anyway, nice work!

Joe

Hey JoeJoe!!! Nice to see you hear :-). Thanks for the compliments too, means a lot.

I had already bought the boots and what not and today I was finishing them up, next time round I'll look into that though. Is that how you did yours?

The hammering really is annoying, I felt like a metallurgist for a while lol. It was like a contest to see how many times I could hit my knuckle too.

Not the best but not bad, I couldn't find my flat cold chisel so I had to use a finish hammer in it's place. :-X

cv3002.jpg

cv3005.jpg

Edited by 72240z