Project DIY: 1971 Datsun 521

Madness

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the spikes.My old 320 had 10 of them..damm things jabbed me a few times though :rolleyes:

On the 4 link. I say do it once the way you want it. My 1st 2 link was "temporary" & i hated having to go back in & re-do it. Just a word of advice /my 2 pennies. Awesome detail work too with the shiny parts, all that detail will pay off.

Z car creations. They sell only on ebay and only have stuff for z cars but the engines are really close to the same.

The L6 kit comes with 11 studs for the exhaust but it just so happens the intake and exhaust uses 11 bolts on the L4. There are a ton of leftovers but some extra stainless bolts is a nice thing to have.

I stopped by discount tire today to see where the hell my tire is. Someone dropped the ball and its now somewhere between processing and shipping. After a few minutes of bitching the finally ordered it from their denver distributor, It will be here tomorrow.

This is by far my fav 521 on the forum. You have good taste & a keen eye for cOOl :) In the immortal words of Sir William Broad (Billy Idol) MORE MORE MORE!!!

^^^^ What he said, add one additional rebel yell. You never seem to get off track, and you've got an unadulterated sense of vintage 'cool'. More!

wow thanks :blush: really its all kinda come together by accident. I've studied all of the hot rod mags since i was 13 and i guess the vintage cool is just a 6th sense :cool:

Hopefully ill have the engine up to the machine shop by the end of this week and ill be able to get it together by the end of the month. Is it strange to sit in my truck, spin the wheel and play with the pedals making engine sounds :lol: I'm so excited to get it running and driving, I'm already planning a Vegas trip in it.

I have a hood ornament from a 48 chevy and I'm back and forth on whether or not i want to put in on the hood. It would be really cool but I'm worried that it might be too much. There's a slot down the back that I'm planning on putting some frosted glass and lighting it from the bottom with amber LEDs. Ill have to get a picture up to see what you guys think.

So tonight I decided to paint my roof. I've been hearing about a roll on paint job using a paint roller and rustoleum in a pint can. It got so big "Hot Rod Magazine" wrote and article about it. So I went to wal-mart and spent 18 bucks on paint and supplies.

Image0343.jpg

It actually surprised me, if I had been a little more patient it could have turned out a lot better. A few minutes after rolling out the paint it starts to even itself out and gets... kinda smooth. You're supposed to wait a couple hours for it to dry and put on another even coat but I just kept going over it while it was still wet. I guess after its dried and you've applied quite a few coats you can wet sand and buff it to a brilliant gloss. I just might leave it as is, some light spots some runs and all the roller marks... its adds a little more personality. Its glossy as hell though.

Image0347.jpg

And here is the hood ornament I was talking about (picture below and above). Its pretty big but really cool. I'm still on the fence about it. What do you think?

Image0351.jpg

the hood ornament seems a bit on the large side. Its too bad there isnt a similar ornament thats smaller because it would look trick. In my opinion, i would take off the datsun badge if youre going to put on the hood ornament, it might look busy.

Looking good, get a close up of how your paint job turned out!

Yeah i think im going to pass on the hood ornament. Its just to damn big. The paint turned out ok. I didn't sand as well as i should of so you can see 100 grit sanding marks, oh well. Its glossy and white, thats all i care about.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a tach!

Went to the junk yard yesterday and pulled a tach out of an MG. Its pretty universal and for a 4 cylinder. When I got back to the shop I found a stainless steel coffee mug that the gauge fit in perfectly. Pulled the handle off, polished it up and stuck the gauge in but there was something still missing. I needed a trim ring so I went to home depot and walked through lighting and found a recessed light with a pretty cool ring and glued it on. I think it will be mounted under the dash somewhere.

Image0373.jpg

Image0371.jpg

Image0372.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

the hood ornament seems a bit on the large side. Its too bad there isnt a similar ornament thats smaller because it would look trick. In my opinion, i would take off the datsun badge if youre going to put on the hood ornament, it might look busy.

Looking good, get a close up of how your paint job turned out!

Yeah i think im going to pass on the hood ornament. Its just to damn big. The paint turned out ok. I didn't sand as well as i should of so you can see 100 grit sanding marks, oh well. Its glossy and white, thats all i care about.

Hell with that hood ornament on there you could run without a hood latch! :lol:

• 7 months later...

Hey guys. I just wanted to give you a little update on the truck. Its currently sitting in my neighbors garage under a car cover with the body and bed rachet strapped to the frame. Some things happened and I ended up leaving the shop i was in to find a real job. So its been sitting pretty much all summer untouched. Good news is, I've been working on my single car garage, getting all the crap out of it (10 years worth of build up) and getting it ready for the datsun to roll in. There's a few things as far as tooling that might hold me back, including a welder, but i might be able to borrow one from time to time. You all have been giving me some inspiration the last few weeks as I browse ratsun so its really getting me back on track to get her done.

With any luck you'll be getting another update soon!

Thanks everyone