Project DIY: 1971 Datsun 521

Madness

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Between work and the girlfriend i haven't had time to work on my garage. Its killing me not having a shop anymore. Im pretty sure that im going to sell my 88 toyota 4x4 to help fund this project once again. Its a serious sacrifice but i think the 521 will be a lot more fun. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks, i just need to compile a checklist of everything that i need to do to her, probably be about 2 miles long.

Between work and the girlfriend i haven't had time to work on my garage. Its killing me not having a shop anymore. Im pretty sure that im going to sell my 88 toyota 4x4 to help fund this project once again. Its a serious sacrifice but i think the 521 will be a lot more fun. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks, i just need to compile a checklist of everything that i need to do to her, probably be about 2 miles long.

dude...I sure hear that! :(

I'm just glad to hear from you man!

Pass on greetings to Caitlin too please :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally, I did something to my damn truck!

Got to rep the madness name on the door, giving it that work truck feel, after all, thats what these trucks were built for.

Currently Im working at a print factory making transit advertisements. We have a 3M product we call "removable" due to the fact that it removes clean from the side of the bus when they are done with the advertisement. After messing with a few vector imaging programs i finally came up with a logo and printed it at work.

Applied to the pass door.

2011-03-15_11-38-58_663.jpg

Spent about a half an hour cutting along the lines and peeling out the letters to come up with this.

2011-03-15_12-16-16_986.jpg

Started throwing some paint on and realized in my haste i forgot to wipe the door down with wax and grease remover... dumb.

So after layer and layer of thick lead based 1 shot lettering enamel it finally covered, and ran. Oh well adds character. Needless to say peeling the mask was a freakin mess but got it all off and doesn't look to bad.

2011-03-15_13-16-36_617.jpg

By the way, if you ever come across my truck don't lick the door. The white paint i used is an old ass can of 1 shot lettering paint, and it does contain lead! :blink:

Finished up my passenger side door with a little bit of red. The outline is a little thinner than I wanted it to be but I kinda like it.

100_1438.jpg

On another note, I sold my toyota so parts and machining will be coming soon.

Bart you are an artist! Beautiful work!

We need to hook up soon. We have several car shows and events at the track this summer you will need to attend. So, get that thing on the road ASAP! :thumbup:

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

so i have asked a few ppl and nobody seems to have a answer. the spikes u have replacing ur fender emblems, where did u get them? I have wanted to use them for something a little different but cant seem to find them when i google search.