Project DIY: 1971 Datsun 521

Madness

this is what i was thinking. if you just z it, it promotes the obvious problem of everything behind that z being raised. im sure that you have the fabrication capabilities to solve this problem. thats all i could see wrong with doing a z instead of a notch.

me personally i would do a really simple step notch if youre not going to do a crazy rear setup youd like to show off. similar to what Pacific coast Datsun had said, youre not going to need much with those tires and rims to lay frame.

trucks looking great, i was going and probably still am going to paint one of my two tones close to the same blue as your truck. I like the shaved turn signal, planned on doing that one too. im jealous of your shop haha. keep up the good work.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frame cut using angle to guide the saw blade.

100_1033.jpg

100_1035.jpg

The back of the frame lifted using pieces of 4x2 tubing.

100_1036.jpg

100_1038.jpg

Ready for welding.

100_1041.jpg

Cutting the gussets. Angle grinder and a sawzall. I would kill for a ban saw.

100_1046.jpg

One side welded in. Think I'm done for the night.

100_1047.jpg

One last picture. Its the spare we found under troys 620 :D Original maybe?

100_1043.jpg

till next time

Bart

Good job Bart!

I am getting worried that you don't get enough sleep, based on the times you usually post!:eek:

I'm off to the SEMA show. I'll be back Saturday. We need to hook up soon.

Bob

Got a little bored up at the shop and decided I was done grinding for the day so I pulled my drive shafts and painted them. One thing led to another...

100_1058.jpg

100_1059.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to go to the paint shop and see if i can find sublime green to do the other side. Sublime green and Ivory should be a good color combo.

Yeah I know its the drive shaft and after the bed goes on you wont be able to see it but we'll all know its there ;)

Bart

100_1059.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to go to the paint shop and see if i can find sublime green to do the other side. Sublime green and Ivory should be a good color combo.

Yeah I know its the drive shaft and after the bed goes on you wont be able to see it but we'll all know its there ;)

Bart

Lexan.

Bed.

:D

you've got skills sir.

Why thank you. This is the most intricate pinstriping I've ever done. I'm very proud of this one.

I was thinking, hinged bed floor....

You should be dude! That is flipping RAD!!!!! And totally what I want to do to mine too!

Why thank you. This is the most intricate pinstriping I've ever done. I'm very proud of this one.

I was thinking, hinged bed floor....

A hinged wooden bed floor would be cool.. I like how you did the rear frame, i was kinda on the fence on it but after you did it it turned out great! the look of the rear frame rails almost stock when its laid out will be sick!!

yeah i was a little worried about the frame but after grinding and after I weld on the fish plates I think it will look pretty good.

As for the hinged bed floor, I would like to find some... barn wood or old wooden floor planks and build a tonneau cover/ bed floor. It would be pretty heavy but i might be able to find some heavy duty hood struts or something.

Thanks for all the compliments :) i thought everyone had abandoned my thread :cool:

If you're going to be running an air bag system, you could use air cylinders to raise the heavy bed cover. They're A LOT cheaper than electric actuators. You'd only need to have it push up. Gravity and a flow control on the exhaust would dictate how fast it came down.

• 4 weeks later...

We've been really busy up here at the shop so haven't had much time to work on the 521. I have tried to get a few things done. Mostly research.

A quick restoration.

100_1158.jpg

Bought this at a local junk yard for 75 bucks. Came off of a 620 so i got everything i need to bolt it onto my manifold.

100_1120.jpg

The block and head are off at the machine shop so i can get it punched out .030 over and have .005 taken of the head. That will be .020 total off the head which is making the machinist a little worried but after talking with a few of you guys it souldn't be a problem.

Ill try to get you guys a more substantial update here pretty soon, as soon as we get these two p.o.s. cadillacs out of here. :lol: