Project DIY: 1971 Datsun 521

Madness

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got probably 8 or more hours into the intake, 3 into the thermostat housing, 2 into the front of the head, and 4 into the timing cover. It gets really old after a while but I've got to make it shiny.

Thanks for all the compliments :)

well you have succeeded on that very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seriously thinking about changing the name of the build to Project Rough Around the Edges.

A little progress.

Radiator polished and pinstriped.

Image0188.jpg

Image0187.jpg

I got a wool blanket for the seat because I lost the sewing machine and I really don't want to pay a fortune to have someone else do it... maybe later on I'll have it done.

I wanted to see if the new seat cover would match the door panels.... Eh it will work.

Image0182.jpg

Image0183.jpg

And for giggles I painted the roof white.... doesn't look too bad.

Image0184.jpg

I re finished my steering wheel by filling in the cracks with JB stick weld and throwing a coat of paint on it... Ill post pictures when I get them.

Next on the list is machine work.

Bart.

I'm seriously thinking about changing the name of the build to Project Rough Around the Edges.

A little progress.

Radiator polished and pinstriped.

Image0188.jpg

Image0187.jpg

Oh hell to the yes Bart. Lovin it man!!!! You are getting me fired up to get back on mine, but I am so focused on this Cheerios thing and balancing my illustration deadlines, I can't do anything about it for another week!

This is my 1971 Datsun 521

100_0643.jpg

This is quite possibly the BEST photo I have ever seen, most definitely the best Datsun related one but given that I'm infected with Datsun fever, I'll have to admit my heart fluttered a little when I saw it. I'm no pro photographer, but respect a great pic. The composition and colour balance is excellent, the icicle is amazing. Just a really really good pic, I would enter this in any photography contest you could. (If it's a public vote, let us on Ratsun know and you're sure to win) Your truck is gorgeous too. Nice work doing it all yourself.

We have wireless at the shop now so as I type this out I'm literally 10ft away from my truck! :w00t:

Bed-less.

100_0979.jpg

Have the axle in place and starting to "mock up" my rear suspension with cardboard and tape.... Still don't know if I want to triangulate it or run radius arms with a panhard bar.

100_0983.jpg

Figured since I'm not going to re-paint it I would put the drivers side glass back in. Pretty damn clean for it being almost 40 years old.

100_0984.jpg

You can barely make out the polished, discolored, horn button ;)

Next time around.

Bart

Instead of the normal mini trucker C notch I was thinking about doing the old school Z'd frame.

Does this look good to anyone?

3Zdframe.jpg

I know my measurements would have to be spot on and my welding impeccable but I think its a major possibility. Chime in, I need all the advice I can get.

Edit.... Damn it! Just realized my math was way off. Its too freakin late :lol: 1" = 1/2"

Edited by Madness
Instead of the normal mini trucker C notch I was thinking about doing the old school Z'd frame.

Does this look good to anyone?

3Zdframe.jpg

I know my measurements would have to be spot on and my welding impeccable but I think its a major possibility. Chime in, I need all the advice I can get.

Edit.... Damn it! Just realized my math was way off. Its too freakin late :lol: 1" = 1/2"

I have to say that's pretty good for MS Paint. If you haven't already, you might take a look at solid Edge 2d. It's the *FREE* 2D version of their expensive 3D modeling software. It's really nice, and makes stuff like this really easy. It's fully associative so that you can just tweak dimensions, and it changes your CAD drawing.

Here's a Link:

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/velocity/solidedge/free2d/index.shtml

Sorry I don't have much experience with modifying frames (yet). Your 521 is really nice btw! Hope mine looks almost that good some day.

Ummmmm...yeah...! Do it old school man! Way cool lookin!

Great lookin truck too...comin along way good. Hope to see it out this summer!

Nice shop bro! Between you and Bob...I got Shop Envy!

I like the connection between the blanket seat cover...the RAT portion of the interior...and the NEW sweet door panels...the "Rod" portion!

Your striping looks great Bart...We need to talk man!:cool:

SolidEdge2d is what I use too! It's a full blown CAD program and it's free!

I'm liking your Z design...but Twisted Mini's would have a much more experienced opinion than mine. :)

I would love to get his opinion on it but it seems kinda hard to get him to chime in :lol:

I talked to a guy that's built a few frames and he said that would be the way he would do it. Then he asked me, "Why only 3 inches?" :rolleyes:

A few words of advice. Set up your link bars with the leaf springs in place to assure proper axle allignment. If your going to run those rims a simple "C" notch or even a mini step notch will allow you to lay frame. The Z-ing of the frame would be nice but i prefer to keep things simple if it were mine.

i have the frame set level with legs welded to it to make sure everything stays where it should when its cut.

100_0992.jpg

100_0996.jpg

100_0998.jpg

after setting the frame level with the rear tires touching the ground i realized i would have to z it at least 4 inches for the frame to rest on the ground... so maybe 4 inches is the answer.

I would have to cut the frame completely vertical without a step which scares me. I would have a vertical seam.... but i think with the fish plate and gussets it should be fine.

So the plan is to cut the frame and put 4 inch blocks under the rear 4 legs, raising the back 4 inches, weld the frame back together as much as i can and use 2x4x1/4 tubing to gusset it, then cut fish plates and weld them/ plug weld them to the inside and outside of the frame.

Edited by Madness