Project DIY: 1971 Datsun 521

Madness

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember right....I think it was 1.25" per side. The friend I made them for runs z71 rims and really needed to push them out further.

You might ask beebani....since he's actually making them...he should know :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Bart - Did you find a steering box? I took all of that off my 520. You can have it.

Your project is looking GREAT!

Hope to see you soon. Don't forget about the race May 23rd.

Bart - Did you find a steering box? I took all of that off my 520. You can have it.

Your project is looking GREAT!

Hope to see you soon. Don't forget about the race May 23rd.

I love this site!:cool:

I hope to get down there too Bob...we will have to see though. :rolleyes:

Freekin schedule!

Great job takin care of a bruthah Bob!

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone ever tailored carpet before?

I do it. You need an industrial sewing machine, preferably with a walking foot, to do it right. A home machine, no matter how cool and old school looking doesn't have the foot lift needed to sew 2,3 and 4 layers of quality automotive carpet. I know you are doing this build yourself. If you get to the point where you want to buy a carpet set, I'll be offering up a group buy for 521 carpet when the 620 sets are done.

I do it. You need an industrial sewing machine, preferably with a walking foot, to do it right. A home machine, no matter how cool and old school looking doesn't have the foot lift needed to sew 2,3 and 4 layers of quality automotive carpet. I know you are doing this build yourself. If you get to the point where you want to buy a carpet set, I'll be offering up a group buy for 521 carpet when the 620 sets are done.

Actually i was thinking about stitching it by hand as much as that would be a pain in the ass and time consuming.

How much am I looking to pay for the 521 carpet in a group buy and is it molded or talored. I know JC Whitney can get the talored for a 1969 nissan pickup for 115 bucks but there is 2 things i worry about with that, is the 520 floor the same and will it fit now that i've modified my floor pans even though it shouldnt be much of a change.

My girlfriend bought me a cool new addition to the truck and i picked up something at a VW show over the weekend, I'll have pictures up later.

Bart

For a girl that wasn't to keen on the datto at first she has really come to accept the little truck.

She bought them on ebay thursday and were shipped to her house yesterday :)

100_0851.jpg

While we were roaming around at a VW car show over the weekend (volkswagens on the green) she found a shift knob for me at one of the swap meet tents just as they were packing up so i got it for half off! :D

100_0853.jpg

Go against the grain,

Bart

AHHHH! I WANT TO WORK ON MY TRUCK!

Freakin Toyota has a blown head gasket and now I'm down to pedal power. This will be the 3rd time ill have the motor in my toy pickup torn down in 2 years. Getting sick of this crap, time to get the datto running.

When is this going to happen and how much for my 521?

When is this going to happen and how much for my 521?

Thread piracy!:lol:

Yeah..but I want to know the same thing.:blink:

Lookin really good Bart...I almost went to the VW show. Ended up bein way too busy...again.:mad:

If you are ever down here I have a couple of interior ideas I wanna run by you...give me a call if you are.:cool:

I have those same "71" plates for my truck....they are still in the original DMV wrappers..never been installed at all. What do you think we will have to do to actually run them on our rigs?

Ill be down in thornton tomorrow but im afraid ill be to numb to talk... Dentist. But i would love to see your interior ideas, maybe i could steal a couple from you ;)

To register your plates just go to a license office and fill out the form. Its free but there are restrictions. You can only rock them if your going to a car show, parade, cruise and so forth. Not for daily use.

Went up to the shop a little bit ago. Borrowed a car. Here are the pictures.

Finally got my girl up there so she could rip out the engine.

100_0859.jpg

First thing was to pull the head so i know what i was dealing with.

100_0860.jpg

Kinda hard to see but the cylinders were pretty clean. No major scars and the ridge was next to nothing.

100_0862.jpg

All the top end gaskets looked like new. Im pretty sure this engine had some top end work. Maybe just needs new rings.

100_0864.jpg

The down pipe fused to the manifold.

100_0866.jpg

And the empty engine bay.

100_0868.jpg

A couple pictures of one of the other projects in the shop. VW corrado.

100_0870.jpg

100_0871.jpg

100_0872.jpg

Bart

I haven't been on the tex in a long ass time. Im a mark two guy and the mark two forums filled up with questions that were answered 3 or 4 years ago, some horrible half assed builds and all of the legends bailed out. I haven't really been in the VW scene in about 2 years but I'm planning on jumping back in when i get the datto done.

As for the shaved bay.... the idea bounced around in my head for a while. its pretty bare as is. I know I'm going to wire tuck the bay, as best possible and remove all that is not necessary but a full on shaved bay is still in question.

Bath tub stylz :D

Quick question to those that may be paying attention to my build thread. What do you think about monroe air shocks? They say that it adds 1200 lbs load carrying capacity.... the front of my truck couldn't way all that much could it?

Just an idea...

I haven't been on the tex in a long ass time. Im a mark two guy and the mark two forums filled up with questions that were answered 3 or 4 years ago, some horrible half assed builds and all of the legends bailed out. I haven't really been in the VW scene in about 2 years but I'm planning on jumping back in when i get the datto done.

Glad I am not the only one that bailed on the MKII section. I bailed right when the same questions were starting to get asked daily. Once the MKIV guys found it trendy to get a MKII it got disgusting.

Quick question to those that may be paying attention to my build thread. What do you think about monroe air shocks? They say that it adds 1200 lbs load carrying capacity.... the front of my truck couldn't way all that much could it?

Just an idea...

Pretty good idea I think. I have seen them work very well on some rigs.

In the rear for sure...especially if you are going to be lowering your truck too much. I have 2 leaves out and 3 inch blocks and you saw what that looked like. I can carry some stuff and do all the time, i just can't carry what I used to be able to. I still move all kinds of fairly heavy stuff though.

BUT...I want my truck lower...so :rolleyes:...tell me how they work for you and I will follow your lead.:D

NEIL: The whole water cooled scene is dying off, aside from mk4s and mk5s, which is just a bunch of bolt on crap for the most part. The mk2 scene is dead as far as im concerned, there hasn't been a new and epic build in years.

Denver: Well i was thinking about doing a static drop on the 521 for a while until i could round up the cash to do bags on all 4 corners the right way. One of the things i was thinking about since i've pulled my torsion rods already (dont know if i can put them back in the correct rotation to make the ride quality right) was to trow in some air shocks to carry the full load of the front end of the truck. I've seen the backyard way of "bagging" the back end of a full size chevy pickup with mono leafs and air shocks and then watched that truck pull a trailer with a car on it with no problem.... I just wonder if the shocks will hold up and not completely blow out when i hit a pothole on the interstate (I-70 east of denver)

Impala: Thanks man, I just hope the led's are bright enough.

Toyota head is at the machine shop and with any luck and if it passes the pressure test, ill be back up and running and working on the datto again. :thumbsup:

does anyone know the weight on these little trucks?