Project DIY: 1971 Datsun 521

Madness

So i got my toyota running again, finally. But for the last 3 days the guy that im renting my space from, decided that he wanted to "re organize" the shop. That means I get a smaller space with less light tucked back in the corner with the truck nose in... im a little bitter about it. I however did get a chance to spit the trans from the engine, thats about as far as i got before i bailed out of the mess that is now the shop.

I hope i can get over it and get back to work on the datto. And when the hell am i going to have the correct bolts to put an engine on a stand? To Ace hardware i go.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

My 521 actually had front air shocks on it before it was 'bagged. We made new upper towers to mount them for extra strength, and to convert the upper mount to a "loop" configuration for less bind.

They worked, but not as well as everyone would hope. At 150 psi, the front end would lift about 3" off the ground- enough to drive, but that's about it. If I rolled with a friend, it sat about 1" off the ground! I usually ran about 180 psi in the tank to get a little extra boost, but I always worried about the reliability of the shock at those pressures.

This was an otherwise stock 521 with an L18 under the hood- someone with a KA swap may be in even worse shape, although I'm not sure of the weight difference off hand...

The shocks may work great on the back of a truck, where they act directly in a 1:1 ratio with the axle and give maximum load lifting capability, but consider that your front control arms are a lever, with the shock mounted between the pivot point and hub, so you're not getting the maximum lifting capacity out of the shock. You could try moving the lower shock mount outward a bit to increase the load capacity, but you can't go far before the upper arm gets in the way of the shock body.

Great build, by the way!

And when the hell am i going to have the correct bolts to put an engine on a stand? To Ace hardware i go.

Do you have any spare L series head bolts? The short ones work well, what I use. They work on the ka's and I'm 90% sure vgs as well too for anyone interested.

I know when I have looked to buy in a store it's a hard size to find.

new adventure for my datsun :rolleyes:

1f340b758c1e__1248689232000.jpg

i've kinda run out of money so i had to move out of the shop in ft collins and while my truck was on its way to my neighbors garage my friends asked if i wanted to just drop it off at their shop. I wasn't going to say no and its about 30 min closer. :)

I haven't been on the tex in a long ass time. Im a mark two guy and the mark two forums filled up with questions that were answered 3 or 4 years ago, some horrible half assed builds and all of the legends bailed out. I haven't really been in the VW scene in about 2 years but I'm planning on jumping back in when i get the datto done.

hah True that. I've been on there since 05 and everything turned to shit since then. I'm only in the pnw regional now and the corrado and mk1 sections. Nice to see another vw guy/ datsun enthusiast.

Nice progress on your truck. The floor work is great. Love the dash and door panels as well.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

A tiny bit of progress.

I spent a couple hours at the shop polishing last night. It's not perfect but its only an engine bay part and i don't think most of it is going to be seen, either way its easier to clean.

Image0143.jpg

Something I sketched up about a month ago to kinda motivate me.

Image0144.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Currently this is how my truck sits... outside, with a tarp over it.

Image0161.jpg

We lost half of our shop so the projects get to sit outside for a little while, until we get a new shop.

But I have been working on what I can.

Re-Finished one of the wheels and am planning on doing another some time this week :lol:

Image0148.jpg

Kinda hard to tell but its the same metal flake black as my valve cover and other random parts.

Image0151.jpg

Did a little more polishing.

Image0164.jpg

Ordered these tonight after finding out one of the pistons ring journals were smashed and weren't allowing the rings to seal.

pistons.jpg

and a picture of a fish I pulled out of the lake a week ago :D

Image0160.jpg

Until Next Time

Bart

POLISHING!

I'm about to go nuts! I didn't realize how rough the intake manifold actually was. Holy casting.

Image0170.jpg

Painting.

Image0171.jpg

Decided to do a little bit of engine parts mock up even though the block is still empty.

Image0172.jpg

Image0173.jpg

I'm hoping the coil mounting will work. It is a new style coil.

Image0174.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality cell phone pictures... I haven't had the desire to feed my camera double A batteries every 10 min. :blink:

"Am I covered in polishing rouge?"

-Bart

• Like 1

Couple of quick questions...

first I have a lot of closed off bungs on my intake manifold, done poorly by Nissan in my opinion. But one thing that i thought was strange, the bung that the pcv was routed to has a plug in it... so I'm not so sure what I should do about the pcv now.

second Is the small coolant line that is routed around the front of the head to the intake manifold necessary? I'm trying to clean up this engine so I would love to get rid of it. Is it just a cold start helper?

thanks

Couple of quick questions...

first I have a lot of closed off bungs on my intake manifold, done poorly by Nissan in my opinion. But one thing that i thought was strange, the bung that the pcv was routed to has a plug in it... so I'm not so sure what I should do about the pcv now.

second Is the small coolant line that is routed around the front of the head to the intake manifold necessary? I'm trying to clean up this engine so I would love to get rid of it. Is it just a cold start helper?

thanks

I would undo whatever is blocking the PCV...it will be an important part of the process later on.

In regards to the tube that carries coolant to the intake there is a real lack of support for it in my mind. I ALMOST dropped it off of mine too. I was polishing...well....wait...you polished...I must have just been cleaning and scuffing mine so that it looked a little better...and I was very close to removing it. You will notice that several Lseries motors on here have them removed. Some aftermarket intakes did not even have the option built into them.

Dang dude...nice work!:cool:

See you up in Golden next year!?!?!?!?!:D

The tube that carries water to the intake manifold is fairly important to warming up your engine. It helps the gas from the carburettor vaporize, and prevents the liquid gas from washing the oil off the cylinder walls. It enables the engine to run a lot better when it is started. and warming up.

coolant tube is coming off... still dont know what to do about the pcv unless, the plug in the bung is the pcv valve, and im just retarded.

I've got probably 8 or more hours into the intake, 3 into the thermostat housing, 2 into the front of the head, and 4 into the timing cover. It gets really old after a while but I've got to make it shiny.

Thanks for all the compliments :)

POLISHING!

I'm about to go nuts! I didn't realize how rough the intake manifold actually was. Holy casting.

Image0170.jpg

"Am I covered in polishing rouge?"

-Bart

Holy smokes, you must have a lot of patience for that. I have recently polished a few parts on my truck, like the valve cover alternator, and i have done a couple of thermostat housings. After doing those few parts of mine, I can fully appreciate how much time you must have in that intake manifold. I considered doing mine and then decided, no way.

You must be insane to do an intake manifold.:D