Project DIY: 1971 Datsun 521

Madness

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow thanks for all the compliments guys! :) I've spent most of my automotive life doing this stuff to other peoples cars, I can't believe I was missing out on all this ego boosting acclaim.

As far as the polishing goes, about as much as I can tell you is that he uses soft buffs on an angle grinder with different steps of compounds, lots and lots of wet sanding (down to 2000) and hours of his time. To get it to the perfect mirror finish is a secret of his, mixed with a little o.c.d.

The VR6 block is something interesting. VW crammed 6 cylinders into a 4 cylinder space in their 92 to 95 (Canada) Corrados. I've got an 88 Golf to build after the datto and I plan on stickin one of them in it. Noting like the sound of a VR.

Yeah a huge wheel whore at one time (Used to be a huge VW guy). Im not sure how much he charges, right now he's in the "I no longer know how to polish" mood. He just finished up a set of really corroded lips that the guy wanted perfect which ended up being about 4 hours per lip and they still weren't good enough. He eventually talked the customer into accepting them or gave him the option to call OZ to try to source new step lips.

nope not a joke. last night all my friends had a quit smoking party, cigars, wine, beer, cheese, some amazing dinner. 6 of us are quitting at the same time. I've been smoking for a little over 5 years, a drop in the bucket for some but thats almost a 1/4 of my life.

Thanks man, Im probably going to need it.

man that sucks.. you can give it another try later, remember its just a habbit..

i have never smoked in my 23 years.. only second hand smoke cause some of my friends smoke.. then when we are together they say they only smoke when they are with each other and pass blame around kinda funny.. good luck madness, when you are ready you'll do it

Took the trip to the shop last night. Here's what I did.

Valve cover. Just needs to be buffed.

100_0824.jpg

100_0823.jpg

Changed out a couple tires by hand.... Bottle jack and a couple of pry bars.

100_0847.jpg

Because of this. Damn shame, they looked new.

100_0843.jpg

Rear. Have to take them back off so I can strip and paint the wheels but I was curious.

100_0849.jpg

Front. One turned out to be shot... Broken belt. Still good for mock up.

100_0838.jpg

Messed around with the front a little more and figured out exactly where I want the tire. Im one lucky S.O.B.

1 1/2" wheel spacers to make it happen.

100_0841.jpg

Clearance.

100_0827.jpg

100_0828.jpg

100_0830.jpg

Full tuck.

100_0826.jpg

100_0832.jpg

Lock to lock steering... the frame will be about 1 1/2 off the ground.

100_0835.jpg

100_0836.jpg

Door on for fun.

100_0848.jpg

100_0846.jpg

Shiny side up,

Bart

• 2 weeks later...

i know, i know. To be honest i've been looking for a freaking windshield that doesn't cost 700 bucks. Chips, a couple of cracks, i don't care, its better than what i've got. The junk yard that I used to go to was bought out by a big u-pull-it in the area and everything was crushed and shredded. In that mix was about 10 520/521's :cursing: If I can't find a windshield why must I go on with the project.... :(

I'm lookin for you man...everything I have found since you broke yours (:eek:) has been jacked up already. Anyways, lookin great man.

I got given a 94 4runner...thinkin about the potential SAS...

then I work on my Datsun instead:lol:

See you soon, Hope we can get together with Bob for a little Coloratsun race day.

Went up to a yard in Ft. Collins yesterday and the owner found a windshield for 200+tax new and in stock, so thats what ill probably going with. Hit all the yards up north here in CO and not a single one had anything pre 73 although I did find something interesting at Andersons....

upperarmbullit.jpg

I can't remember what year 620 it was but the mounting looks exactly the same as the king pin front. Do you think it would work so i could have ball joints and disk brakes???

Picture of the lower arm.

lowerarmbullit.jpg

I haven't been up to the shop in a while because the my friends have been a little busy with a cab swap on a 2000 toyota tacoma. Just a little to hectic for me. When i get up there Ill be sure to let you guys know.

Kaya.... Kiya.... Im sorry man I don't actually know how to spell your name. I would really like to head down to monument and kick bob in the ass, see if we can get some progress out of him and I need to dig through his pile of 520 parts, see if there's anything I want. I think we need to have another g2g while the weather is so nice. There is talk of a BBQ at my shop in ft collins if any of you would make the trip. Probably a little over an hour for you and probably a few hours for bob.

A couple more junk yard pictures

This made me a little sick.

datbedyard.jpg

Bought it for 25 bucks. Way to much history to pass up.

whitewallyard.jpg

620 with the suspension in question.

620yard.jpg

Soon Again,

Bart

Look a bit more closely at the shock towers. On the 521, they are parallel with the frame. With the 620, they are at an angle. If you were to cleanly cut off the towers and swap them.....I hear that's how they used to do it back in the day. Haven't tried it. But, basically, no, you can't just swap the stuff over. Beebani does upper control arms that take care of the problem.....at present, that's the easiest way to convert to ball joint.

Glad you found a windshield!!! :)

Back in the day....they would simply order the new tower through the dealer.

The prob is that the 620 tower turns toward the wheel in the front......which makes the upper arm too short when you try to put it on the 521. You'd have to lengthen the arm.......and by the time you go through that trouble, you might as well make new arms.

If I remember right...when you put the ball joint uppers/lowers on, it widens the track width....which means you have to get longer tierods.