project F10

jnec510

well last saturday i picked up a 1978 datsun f10. i had to buy it i had never seen one before.(an the price was right) so the only real problem is a blown head gasket. so i got big dreams for her. i put my 510s on hold. this is the closest to be driving.(it has a title an wiring harnes) so i need a good reliable daily driver. i got to download pics an they will be up soon. interior is cherry, body in pretty decent shape. previous owner just put new clutch, brakes , muffler, battery ,tune up, an what not. i picked up the ne head gasket now the top half of the motor is off an i want to delete the emissions. is there a better set up for the a14? i am totally new to te a series world. any one have a book on the f10 they would be willing to part with?:o future plans are to sr20det swap it. would like to make it all wheel drive like the gtir s but i got to find parts. the only body parts i need is a hood an the top piece of the grill (good luck right?) well pick soon to come info, opions, questions, advice, an parts welcome.:D

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pics asap and someone was just saying how they found an f10 in a bone yard check in the datsun stories section i think thats where i saw it

burabuda why couldnt he go sr? just get the front clip from a gtir like he said and fab it up the only issue i see is an sr is much bigger then an A14 but it should fit?

would like to make it all wheel drive like the gtir s but i got to find parts.

definitely need to post some pics but i had something to add about this statement. dont do it unless you know a really good customs agent. my dads gtir front clip has been in customs for 2 months now and he is fighting to keep them from shipping it back. right now he is fileing for a racecar exemption but it kills the vin on the car. he has spent 2k extra just in dealing with customs right now. for some reason those clips are way harder to get them to pass here. just a little warning

Guest jaimesix

Nice Datsun.

I would keep the A series running fine and concentrate on making the body rust free and sound.

If you want an SR, do a FWD SR swap( like a 200SX/Sentra SR ), since this is a FWD Datsun. An AWD swap is going to entail lots of expert work. You have to modify the floor pan to accept the rear independed suspension, differential carrier and the rest of the stuff.

Love it, nice wagon, hope to see it running.

Jaime._______________________________________________________

I'm glad I'm not the only F10 loon here on Ratsun. I think you saw the post about the F10 wagon at the U-pull in Spokane. I'm going to try to get up there and take a look in the next few days. I'll see if the hood and grill are any good. This is a site with A-series engine info:

http://datsun1200.com/modules/nsections/index.php?op=listarticles&secid=2

Keep searching eBay for a factory shop manual for F10. If you find one, it may be dirt cheap, since not many people need manuals for the weird Datsuns. I got one for my '79 200SX for five bucks or so. The factory shop manual has way more info than Haynes or any of the rest.

I don't know if they are still there, but there was a whole herd of dead F10s (5 or 6) in a small town here in E. WA (I think it was Thornton WA). They were on Spokane Craigslist as free for hauling them away, so the crusher may have gotten them. I get near there about once a year. I'll see if they are still there if I get a chance.

Len

well went to my buddies shop today an got hooked up. head surfaced jet washed an pressure tested. so shes ready to go back on. i am fixin up my own custom stereo set up. 1 10in sub, 2 5 1/4 speakers 2 tweets an 2 6x9 s. should rock hard. just got to glue everything down that rattles. i think i am more pumped on the f10 rigt now then my dimes. i am gonna ru the a14 till i get everything for the sr swap. it should be a real solid motor.:D

Its an F10 "wagon-y" thing too! That's bad ass! I saw one just last week and I did a tripple take as I was driving down the road! It's the only F10 I've EVER seen around here. I almost stopped to turn around and check it out.

Sweet ride man! I'll be watching this thread to see your progress on it!

dude im so happy with it. im puttin her all together. still lookin into the sr awd swap:D:D:D:D

Thats funny I have always thought about using the struts such a mod, but I think a F10 AWD beast would be great :D I think you should rock the A series, get the Dimes running, save parts for AWD conversion. When the dime collection is together you can swap daily drivers and build the F10 from hell :D

O and then take me for a drive :D

Thats funny I have always thought about using the struts such a mod, but I think a F10 AWD beast would be great :D I think you should rock the A series, get the Dimes running, save parts for AWD conversion. When the dime collection is together you can swap daily drivers and build the F10 from hell :D

O and then take me for a drive :D

couldnt have said it better myself icehouse