project F10

jnec510

Thats funny I have always thought about using the struts such a mod, but I think a F10 AWD beast would be great :D I think you should rock the A series, get the Dimes running, save parts for AWD conversion. When the dime collection is together you can swap daily drivers and build the F10 from hell :D

O and then take me for a drive :D

thats the plan. buldin a 2.1 longrod for the 69 2 dr. got a l16 for the 4 dr.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jaimesix
Damn that car is butt ugly. OTOH, clean it up, slam it a bit and call it good. Definitely just go with the A for now and drive it awhile.

Some degree of Datsun education is needed to appreciate Datsun cars.

Some degree of Datsun education is needed to appreciate Datsun cars.

I appreciate the Corvette....the Vega? Not so much. Same goes for the Javelin (yes) and Pacer (puke).

I think roadsters, 410/411 and 510's rule, and I've learned to appreciate the others.

That all said, IMO the F10 is butt ugly.

i love the vega, pacer, pinto, an the f10. its unique an stands out. I got the head back on. found out that the fan doesnt come on when car gets hot. now while puttin the car together i would lke to delete 15 vacume lines an smog pump. the only vacume line i need is the vacume advance that goes from the carb to dizzy . right? i just hate useless emissions. an in portland they do not pop the hood to check.

I did the same thing to the A series in my 1200 (it had been replaced with a later A series) I had to weld extra ports to clean it up but in the end it looked way better!! All I had left was one vacuum line as well :D Slam it and post some pics :D

Guest jaimesix
I appreciate the Corvette....the Vega? Not so much. Same goes for the Javelin (yes) and Pacer (puke).

I think roadsters, 410/411 and 510's rule, and I've learned to appreciate the others.

That all said, IMO the F10 is butt ugly.

So what, if you have nothin positive to say about this cool F10, then say nothing.

If I have nothing positive to say about a Datsun Roadster, then I remain silent. What is the point in telling others that we do not like their particular cars???

No help on the engine, sorry. But I love your car! I'm a 'white car' guy anyway, but the combo of rims and color make it 'just right'.

I'd always thought an F10 should be done, retro...lowered, shaved, fiestas, rear skirts and lake pipes...maybe a Buick spear two-tone down low...(Fisch? You listening?...lol)

But then I'm also a Rambler guy... :D

Hope you get it sorted out.

Doesn't the intake manifold have coolant that runs through it? Maybe it's not sealing right and dumping coolant in the intake track.

Have you checked the coolant to see if it looks milky? Is it consuming coolant? It could possibly be just remnants from the build. I say top off the coolant and check the level after running it, just don't let it get too hot.

Also, I believe burning coolant shows up in your spark plugs as they will look eerily clean.

oil an coolent both clean. i will check the plugs. let it run for about an hour never stopped smokin whit smoke. an if i covered the tail pipe my hand would get all wet. gonna plug away more tomorrow. grrrrrrrrr:mad: i just want to drive to work an back everyday. no more busin it an hour each way.

im not much on the a series but from what i can see in pics of your car and rwd a series and knowing datsuns interchangability record its probibly a safe bet that it will work i personally would use your head and manifolds just to be on the safe side but they look the same to me

or on the off chance that there not take yours out and take the block to a macine shop they can fix it

Edited by bonvo
So what, if you have nothin positive to say about this cool F10, then say nothing.

If I have nothing positive to say about a Datsun Roadster, then I remain silent. What is the point in telling others that we do not like their particular cars???

I agree. the Bug Eye Sprite is a cool and beautiful car. It has been defaced and the final product looks awful. What a loss.

Looks like the builder had a lot of time to spare, but little taste.

Yup, what's the point?

bonvo: What is that? A European F-10?

duke: Nice find! Go big or stay home, right? :D Interesting to see all the retaining devices, i.e. the spring on the oil filler cap, the red-taped clutch/brake master cylinder, etc. And is that upper radiator hose wrapped in electrical tape? :eek:

Guest jaimesix
Yup, what's the point?

You are trying so hard to make me look as bad as you are. What a monger you are.

Go back to that thread you so expediently quote in small pieces and read to find out my comments correspond to the defacing, chopping , mutilating of an otherwise beautifull Bug Eye Sprite car. That car is gorgeous, but the chop job that gave it a strange look is terrible.

Go read

"Mystery: Can you name this engine? Or anything else?"

in the General Discussion section and find out. Do not monger and mislead others.

Please move on, and let people enjoy this cool thread. Go away.

Jaime._______________________________________________________

For the engine problems you're having, if you need to swap the engine out, an E16 might fit in there without too much trouble. I've read that they are similar to the A series engines. The first article that comes to mind is this one from the Datsun 1200 wiki.

Just a thought, and it may be more work than it's worth.

Most Sentras and Pulsars had the E16 throughout the 80's, so it might be easier to find in a wrecking yard than an A-series. They were carbed up until about '86 and after that they only had TBI, so it wouldn't be too hard to swap a carb onto.

You really wouldn't be gaining any performance from it unless you were lucky enough to find an E15ET, but North America only got them in the '84 Pulsar, as an option.

does anyone know if a rear wheel drive a14 work for a front wheel drive a14?

I'll probably visit my F10 this week (12 miles away), and look at how the engine mounts. I've looked at this before, and it seems like the mounts are hidden under all the top engine stuff, and not easy to see. My boss has a 1200 with an A14, so I can compare mounts and blocks. I suspect the RWD A14 will work, but it only takes one or two different bolt holes to screw things up.

If the intake manifold runs water through it, I would sure try a different manifold gasket before I changed the block. I know this can be a problem on L-series engines. It sucks coolant right out the exhaust, so no water in the oil, or oil in the water. Did you check the head for flatness before you put it back on? I think you posted you did. I drove my 510 w. L16 all summer with a head gasket leaking water into a cylinder and out the tail pipe. It finally started running hot, and I had to tear it down.

I got some fantastic news today on my F10. I got an email from the lady who is the last title holder. She said if I send her the transfer of title form, she will be happy to sign it over. She is in Saipan, so it will take some time to get the form there and back. I also hope the WA State Dept of Licensing accepts whatever type Notary she finds over there. I'll keep at it. Anything to save an old ugly Datsun from the crusher.

Len

No coolent runners in the intake. But I drilled a small hole in the muffler an to my surprise almost a half gallon of coolent started poorin out. Now that could possibly be where the smokin is comin from. I talked to a bunch of people on it. An they said that the way the exhaust is setup it can hold almost a gallon of coolent an still run. It woukld smoke but still run. So they told me to take it on the freeway an run her for awhile. It could take up to 4 hours to burn it out. So I shoukld be drivein monday. On a side note. Got the front dropped 3 in. Needs to go more. Wired in the stereo. Got to finish the glass work on the sub box put in the speakers an the stereo will be set. Gonna drill out the rivets for the trim an pull that all off. An lower the back 2 an a half inches an she will be good to go.

F10's are cool little cars. There was one in a junkyard here, but along with all the other datsuns they had, it got crushed. Ill admit that i kinda agree that they are a little ugly, but they are still cool. I would drive one.

Keep the A14 engine, its rock solid and bulletproof. My 210 has one in it and its covered 270,500 miles so far and still going strong. The headgasket blew at 268k, but that was my fault. My fan came apart and i didn't notice it. With good care, these little A series motors will be running once we are gone.