project F10

jnec510

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do both your cooling fans come on when the engine warms up? The little bit I ran my F10 last summer, one wasn't coming on, and the engine was heating up at idle. Bypassed the thermo switch that controls it, so it runs all the time. I need to get another switch and stick it in. If you think your fans aren't working right, I can look up the temps they are supposed to kick in/out, if the info would help you. I've noticed 310s have the same electric fan behind the engine. I'm hoping the fans and thermo switch are the same as the F10.

Len

yea both fans kick on the little one first then the big one.

I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but - Coool. Actually, I think I read in the shop manual that is the way they are supposed to work - back one starts first. I assume the back one is to cool the carb and prevent vapor lock or something.

I've had just enough trouble with 30 year old Datsun electrical bits and pieces to be paranoid about electric motors and switches to keep the engine from frying. I'm Old Skool - give me a big fat V-belt to run the fan (yeah, I know, they can break too, along with hoses.) But of course I'm way too cheap to buy new fan motors and thermo switches. There is usually a little life left in some old Pull n Save parts. Live cheap and die hot, or something like that.

I'm hoping to get some pics of my F10 posted soon. Scanned them, but need my wife to get them to a hosting site. I know cars, and she knows computers.

Len

Guest jaimesix

I like this F-10. The more I look at it the more I like it, it is a Datsun, and it is exclusive, you can bet you will be the only F-10 on the road !

I remember once I found one in the junk yard. I remember seing a fan in the engine bay ( I saw it in several F-10s, so it was not an accessory some guy installed on his ride ) , it was cool. I remember wanting to get it off for my B210 , I was going to install it pointing at the carburetor, like a carburetor cooling fan, but the mounting bolts got striped. When I got back with some easy out tools, 2 days later, the cool fan was already gone!

That A series well built will be a fun fast engine to take around. You can use rolling rockets, titanium push rods, etc. A powerfull A series will add class too, anybody can swap in engines, but good performance classic engines are only in the hands of the knowledgeable.

Jaime.__________________________________________________________

:) I just saw the fan in close inspection, I think that is very cool!!!!

well she s still drivin going on week 2. threw on a new stearing wheel an muffler sunday. the old one still had coolent in it even after i drilled a hole in it an drained 2 quarts out. it is still smokin tho. faint but still. an the oil an the coolent are stayn te same level with no visable mixin. gonna compression test her today along with gettin rid of the trim. also got me a brand new antenna. sexy. well off to work on my datto's

Guest jaimesix
its not my 510. its that simple. i want to sell the f10 to get my 2 510s goin.

If you were in CA I would get it. I would not buy a 510, too common, I would want the F10.

Too bad cool cars are in wrong hands....a repeating prophecy.

I understand your thinking completely. Last summer when I was screwing around hauling my F10 home and worrying about getting a title, I kept thinking "I should be putting my time into getting my 510 running." Also gas then was $4/gallon, and I was thinking of A14 economy. That has changed (for now. We'll see.) I've got three pretty junky Datsuns now, and I sometimes feel that is about one too many. But having three increases the odds of having one of the them running. I suspect I'll keep the three for that reason alone. And it keeps me from buying still another one.

Len

If you were in CA I would get it. I would not buy a 510, too common, I would want the F10.

Front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive. Come on you ever drove an f10. It handles like ass. why would I drive that when I could drive a great handeling good lookin car. Now I'm not sayin the f10 aint good lookin. But I like 510s better.

Too bad cool cars are in wrong hands....a repeating prophecy.

And if I hadn't picked up this car it would have gone to the scrapper. So sayin it fel into the wrong hands is bs.

Edited by jnec510

^^Agreed I think you've done alot to save this car jnec. Futhermore, because of this very thread, I think a few more people appreciate f-10's more than they did before. I know I like them even more because of you. Rock!

I just looked on Jaxed.com for F10s, and only one is shown on all the Craigslists for the whole country - a wagon in Seattle. I think if you Craigslist it with a decent price, you will find a new home for it. Probably you should put it up in the For Sale section here on Ratsun too, with a link to this thread. There may be someone here on the site who would be interested, but hasn't been following this thread.

Len

I plan on postin it in the forsale section. Just throwin out my feelers. I would like her to go to a good home. It was a learning expierence an am glad to have had it. I am gonna finish her up a little more. Hopefully fix the body. That's all that's left. Otherwise she is road ready again.