Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

Never did find the purple with black stripe wire. It turned out the power window/door lock wiring plug is purple & black. I am not sure how many times I had this plug in my hand looking for the purple & black wire, Boy do I feel like a dumb ass now. LOL

Check out what came in the mail today.

520521NOSSpeedometer1.jpg

520521NOSSpeedometer2.jpg

NOS Datsun/Nissan won it on ebay. I hope that whoever I was bidding against will still talk to me. I liked ebay better when you saw the other bidders screen name. Now I will have a good speedo & an almost zeroed odometer.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great score, now you get to take your instrument cluster apart again, but you should be getting good at it by now.:lol: I stretched the 520 frame 11 inches and dropped the kingcab back on its frame, now I have to fab the engine and trans. mounts in it, I hated how high it sat on the 4X4 frame. I figured out that I could put the stock steering gear and column back in temporarly, and mount 720 tilt wheel hardware on the 520 column, the wiper/headlight/turnsignal off the 720 tilt column is the same size, and it even mounts in the same hole as the stock turn signal assembly, just a little tilted. The key assembly is also the same size, it just won't lock the steering, beleave it or not the 720 steering wheel also goes right on the 520 column teeth also, it looks like a non tilt 720 column. Now I have to figure out where that steering wheel nut went. :lol: :lol: If I disappear for a while, it is because my computer crashed, I am going to purchase a new one ASAP, but am going to have to call someone in to set it up. wayno

• Like 1

Wayno I tried to put my stock 520 wheel on the 1980 column and found I had to move the turnsignal switch father (deeper) onto the column. The diffence is in the offset & thickness of the wheels. I am working with ST steering wheels.

For now I am using the ST steering wheel.

Wayno I tried to put my stock 520 wheel on the 1980 column and found I had to move the turnsignal switch father (deeper) onto the column. The diffence is in the offset & thickness of the wheels. I am working with ST steering wheels.

For now I am using the ST steering wheel.

Hey Charlie, I couldn't beleave it myself, everything from a tilt wheel 720 mounted right on to the 520 column, like it was meant to be there, the only thing was it sticks way out there, good thing it is a kingcab, but gives me lots of leg room, it is weird seeing all that column showing between the dash and turn signal housing. I'll take a photo of it, but plan to remove it so I can put a power steering gear in eventually. I tried to put the lower arm from the 520 steering gear onto the 720 power steering gear, isn't going to happen, if it would have went on, I might have tried a right hand drive 520. wayno

• Like 1

The painter came over today and gave me a price & I gave him a time frame.

I am going to Elco Nevada next Wednesday to interview for a job. If I get it I will stay in Nevada working for at least a month.

The painter will have my cab & my bed with all the other parts while I am gone. I need to restock my bank account & get both feet back under me from being unemployed.

When I come back for a few days off hopefully around june first it will be to gather up my truck and some comfort items and I will tow it back to Nevada where I will finish it. I am hoping to have this truck completed interior and all by the end of the summer.

Here are my Hella H4's waiting to be installed in my 520. Bolt & plug in easy upgrade. Running DOT legal HB2 55w / 60w Bulbs. These bulbs only draw 5 amps continuous & 10 amps at start up, so the stock wiring is adequate. I do recommend adding head light relays though to take the load off of the headlight switch. I also re-configured the placement of the wires at the headlight plug to match the 1980 720 wiring harness.

I also drilled the holes out in the buckets for rubber grommets and installed new asphalt impregnated woven loom over the wires to help protect them.. I plan on rebuilding the front parking lamps & tail lights also.

DSC01237.jpg

DSC01238.jpg

DSC01239.jpg

I also picked up the rest of the paint supplies today Total for paint supplies was $385

Paint supplies included

1gallon High build primer

1 quart High build primer hardenener

1 gallon acrilic enamal single stage paint custom mixed color

1 pint acrilic enamal single stage paint metalic silver

1 pint acrilic enamal single stage paint metalic black

1 quart acrylic enamal hardener

1 gallon high temp fast reducer

1 gallon gun clean up solvent

The paint is a dark metalic burgundy and the truck will be 2 toned and will have some stipping on it. The silver & black metalic are for stripping & to lighten & or darken the paint.

• Like 1

Well I am in Carlin Nevada now and will be starting work on the 5th driving double side dumps. It snowed here on Friday almost causing me to miss my interview. Immigrant Pass was heavily iced and it was snowing so hard that visibility was about twenty feet.

I got a 1 dollar an hour pay raise before I even started. More Datsun parts Yoo Hoo

My truck is going to be painted while I am up here.

I am going to be needing help from my Datsun Brothers in Phoenix to help put the truck together enough to tow it up here so I can finish it up here.

• Like 1

Well I am in Carlin Nevada now and will be starting work on the 5th driving double side dumps. It snowed here on Friday almost causing me to miss my interview. Immigrant Pass was heavily iced and it was snowing so hard that visibility was about twenty feet.

I got a 1 dollar an hour pay raise before I even started. More Datsun parts Yoo Hoo

My truck is going to be painted while I am up here.

I am going to be needing help from my Datsun Brothers in Phoenix to help put the truck together enough to tow it up here so I can finish it up here.

I'm glad you found work, it's getting tough in this country to make a decent living. I hope the weather improves soon, otherwise the garden is going to be shit again like last year. Everybody is being effected by this crazy weather. wayno

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for the complements.

Kevin the body man & painter is an old school custom car builder. He is working on the doors, setting them up for power windows & door locks and removing wing windows for 1 piece solid door glass. It will be a slow process as he has a full time job doing body & paint.

• 2 months later...

Hey Charlie, I was inquiring what you did for an oilpan on your build, did you move the engine back far enough so the oil drain plug was in back of the brace between the lower front control arms? Custom oilpan? Custom brace? I will go threw your thread again to see if the info is there. I have my block/tranny in the engine compartment, but am very unhappy about how I got it in there. If it is going to be this big a hassle, i might scratch the L block, I have two other options, a VG30 which is just as big/bigger a hassle to install, but will go really fast, or a J15, which would be easy to do.

• Like 1