Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

Here is another "baby step" to quote Mark.

This was a stock 620 automatic floor shifter.

I did not like the height of the shifter so we fixed that.  Also did not like the original shifter knob so machined it for the 280Z knob.

My brother did the welding and lathe work on this project.  Thanks Bro!

Yes I know the shifter knob is on backwards in the first picture.  

Before

DSC01500_zpsdf38e3d6.jpg

After

DSC01573_zps6a7577d8.jpg

DSC01576_zps89aa58d3.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys.

Wayno, not today.  LOL

Sorry Mike my brother did it at work.  It was the only work he has had this week. He is back to short  days at work.

PCD hurry up on Gene's truck.  I want to get my bed done. Then the cab.

• 2 months later...

Not yet.  My arthritis flared up real bad cortisone shots in the knees, and I am scheduled for eye surgery the end of the month.

I am hoping to take my bed to my brothers to finish the paint removal next weekend.  It has been to windy to blast.  I am cleaning out my garage and trying to find my wiring harness.  I put it away before I left  for Battle Mountain NV for work 3 + years ago but have not found it yet.  I am going to do the final mock up of every thing and make sure all the planned items fit and are mounted.  Then I will tear it apart marking everything for reassembly Blast the rest of the cab and get the body & paint done.  Might not be perfect but it will be my DD.

• 1 month later...

Motors tired.  It has been rode hard and put away wet for almost 30 years.  5 speed and the rear end whines. It is just time to freshen it up.

I installed a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, and power steering pump. to keep it drivable. Replaced the driver side fender do to rust holes. Truck came out of Salt Lake City.  I bought it when I was in Northern Nevada.

I bought a motor from a friend of a friend, supposed to be good with 150,000 miles.  It is froze up. I should have checked it first.  So much for him being honest.

Any way I am going to rebuild the motor and put a 1987 4 speed automatic behind it.  I will mock everything up in a 1980 standard cab and then swap it into the king cab.

• 1 month later...

I need to correct what I said in the previous post.  Actually Gene and Tom installed all the parts in my King Cab for me.

One more eye surgery next Monday and I should be able to work on my 520 again. 

I have my Miller 185 at home now so as soon as I am cleared by my eye doctor to weld I will finish the welding on the cab floor and firewall.  Fill a few dozen more holes.  And get to work getting some primers and body filler on the cab after I sand blast a few hard to sand areas.

I have a lot of sheet metal work to do on the dash and a custom console.  Need to mount the 720 seats. 

Biggest problem I face is my custom wire harness has seemed to disappear when I was in Northern Nevada working.  Along with a couple thousand dollars of tools and personal electronics.

You know the old saying " Keep your enemies close and your family closer."  My sister let my tweeker niece, her sperm donor, and her four kids live at the house for a year and a half while I was in Nevada. 

I need to correct what I said in the previous post.  Actually Gene and Tom installed all the parts in my King Cab for me.

One more eye surgery next Monday and I should be able to work on my 520 again. 

I have my Miller 185 at home now so as coon as I am cleared by my eye doctor to weld I will finish the welding on the cab floor and firewall.  Fill a few dozen more holes.  And get to work getting some primers and body filler on the cab after I sand blast a few hard to sand areas.

I have a lot of sheet metal work to do on the dash and a custom console.  Need to mount the 720 seats. 

Biggest problem I face is my custom wire harness ahs seemed to disappear when I was in Northern Nevada working.  Along with a couple thousand dollars of tools and personal electronics.

You know the old saying " Keep your enemies close and your family closer."  My sister let my tweeker niece, her sperm donor, and her four kids live at the house for a year and a half while I was in Nevada. 

Sounds like your sister owes you some new stuff...

• Like 1

No she is having hard times.  She thought she could help them, only she learned a valuable lesson you can not help someone that will not help themselves.  She learned first hand how meth addicts are.  She lost a lot too.

It was 116 degrees yesterday and I do not know what is is today.  Just about done cleaning my garage and then I can put the carb on my 720 and get back on my 520.  I am going to go ahead and weld in 620 cross members and remove the stock 520 cross members.  I will be doing the red and blue colored cross members in following diagram.

520FrameChanges_zps51b7debf.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This is something I am considering.  I have a Great Dane that loves to ride.  She is Darla Rose.  I do not believe in putting my pet in the bed of my truck.

520_Quad_Cab_zps3e966a5b.jpg

DSC01415_zps75ab775a.jpg

This is Darla Rose with her foster family.  They are great people!

• Like 2

I am cleared by my eye doctor.  I am good for a year!!!!!  I can see!!!!

I have the 3 620 cross members and the torsion bars now for the 66 520 chassis mods.

520_Frame_Changes.jpg

I hope to get started on these after the SWDP Barbeque on August 23rd.

• Like 1

I have thought a lot about a crew cab, I decided if I ever did it, that it likely would be a RHD, and the rear door would be a 3/4 door(suicide), but it would be integrated into the pillar, basically I would put the door in position with the hinges already done in the rear, then I would tack weld the front to the pillar, inside and outside from top to bottom(front vertical parts), now the door cannot be opened because it is welded solid to the pillar, I would then make sure everything was good, then I would cut the top and bottom of the pillar horizontally to free the back door, then I would fill the holes in the door and cab, figure out a way to solidly close the back 3/4 door, I would shut the front door and call it good, I would likely only do it on the driverside unless it was easy, I just doubt it will be easy.

BTW, when the dog is on a walk, if the dog is pulling you around, the dog is walking it's human, but if you are dragging the dog around behind you, then you are walking the dog.

• Like 1