Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is how my truck sits at the painter’s house after $1300 in labor, $600 in paint and supplies, and 21 months.

My question to the painter was, “Why is my truck not done?”

His reply was, “Haven’t had time to work on it."

Remember this guy is unemployed.

IMG-20120421-00004_zpsbb4d068d.jpg

100_2316_zps250629c8.jpg

100_2323_zpsaf9a6348.jpg

100_2318_zps92d2250b.jpg

100_2319_zps72375c44.jpg

100_2329_zps0904c512.jpg

100_2331_zpsb099f610.jpg

100_2336_zpsd74e3efd.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any updates? Don't shoot the painter. You sound like too nice a guy to end up in that crazy AZ sheriff's tent city jail .... even if this guy is a prime a****

Charlie, did you have to modify the 1980 a/c much? Are you going to a rotary compressor or upgrading the condenser or anything?

What front suspension mods if any will you be doing? WIth your firewall mods did you gain any legroom? Thanks, this is an awesome project.

• Like 1

Any updates? Don't shoot the painter. You sound like too nice a guy to end up in that crazy AZ sheriff's tent city jail .... even if this guy is a prime a****

Charlie, did you have to modify the 1980 a/c much? Are you going to a rotary compressor or upgrading the condenser or anything?

What front suspension mods if any will you be doing? WIth your firewall mods did you gain any legroom? Thanks, this is an awesome project.

Sheriff Joe Arpio does feed green Bologna sandwiches, I know first hand from years ago for traffic tickets.  Back when I was street racing my 55 Chevy.  I was young then and did the time instead paying $3,500 in fines.

I wont shoot the painter!  It would be a waste of a good bullet.  But I will take double of what he owes me in his tools.

As far as the heater and AC goes if fits pretty good, I had to cut out the air intake area for clearance for the duct work and had to make mounts That were welded in.  I will run on recirculate until I design a fresh air intake through the grill. I will swich the compressor to a rotary and I am using the stock 1980 evaporator & condenser.  I will right it all up in my build thread as I do it.

I am also working on rear disc brakes.  

Thank you for the input.

Sucks what you have to deal with the painter... I had a similar thing happen to me a few years back... I had already paid the guy half the money. He did some work but I wasn't happy how he was doing some of the work. It seemed he was taking some shortcuts, so I decided to hold off on it. I had my friend do some bodywork and get it ready for paint when the painter hit me up and volunteered to paint the truck at no additional charge so he could promote his business.

• Like 1

I hear you on this Charlie, especially when the guy wasted all the winter months. What's his first name so I know to avoid him?

I've been doing a/c work on my old ford, just bought a RX7 sanden compressor off ebay for $40...

• Like 1

His name is Kevin.  He lives ay 89th Drive first Street North of Indian School SE corner.  It is a shame since he is good at body & paint.  He has been employed  about 3 weeks out of the last 2 years and he tells me he has not had time to work on my truck but he has had time to use my primer, reducer, gun cleaning solvent and all the other sundry items I purchased for my truck on other peoples vehicles.

His name is Kevin.  He lives ay 89th Drive first Street North of Indian School.  It is a shame since he is good at body & paint.  He has been employed  about 3 weeks out of the last 2 years and he tells me he has not had time to work on my truck but he has had time to use my primer, reducer, gun cleaning solvent and all the other sundry items I purcheased for my truckon other peoples vehicles.

Theft, fraud - Sherrif Joe likes to educate these folks! Time your complaint so that he goes to tent city in August.

• Like 1

I appreciate the offer Mark.  When I get it back I am going to buy more sealer and primer and shoot the bare metal to keep it from rusting.  There is some welding to do. and the cowl vent and ash tray still needs shaved.  I had marked the shifter hole for him to cut.   The bed has not been touched.  There is a few other things that still need done.  When I get to that point I will talk to you about it.

Mark thank you.

Thanks Mark, the large ones will replace the original Datsun 1300 fender badges with the Ratsun Badges underneath those.  The small Datsun 520 emblem is for the glove box.  At least that is the plan now.

Mark check your pm's.