Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

You guys are funny!  With a dog like Darla you do not use a leash as all other animals and people run away when they see her coming at them.  LOL  Darla is voice trained and does not need a leash other than required by law.

I am looking at using the full door for the rear doors as Mike commented about the size being big enough.  I will cut the angled wing window frame off and replace with the square rear square frame portion of 2 other doors.  I am going to use the stock hinges and mounting pillars if possible.

Basically I will take 2 cabs and cut the backs off and turn them back to back.  I will then cut the firewall and the "A" pillars off and weld the back of one of the cabs on.  There will be a lot of metal fab in doing this, but it will be a fun challenge.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is the thing about a 3/4 door that includes the pillar, once the front and back doors are open, the whole side of the truck is one big open hole.

I do understand what you are going to do, it's just difficult to make the door with straight up and down/vertical lines on both ends. 

Have you seen this thread?

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://community.ratsun.net/topic/48473-d-c-521/&sa=U&ei=UPbyU8PuEYnDigKZ3YDoAg&ved=0CAoQFjAC&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHT10j_9o8Pno1q9PYQW-tLbfZ3Nw

Were you going to use a wagon roof?

• Like 1

I need as large of doors as I can get.  Darla is a wide Great Dane and is not like Pepper was, in that she is a bull in a china closet type of dog.

I am considering the wagon roof, but I might have my brother roll one for me.

I want the center post between the doors.  I plan on at least 6" post to add leg room to the rear seat.  I will also have my brother roll me 2 new cab corners that will add about 8" to the length of the cab for sound system and tool storage.

• 2 months later...

I think the hardest part of making this crew cab is the doors/hinges, it will be easy to butt the two cabs back to back, but making the rear door square is going to take some work, I think that the rear hinge line(front of the door) going up and down can be straightened without many problems, but that rear hinge pillar is going to take some thinking, I believe that the rear of another 520/521 cab can be cut to slide over the back hinges, but how would one connect it to the pillar with that much overlap, you see the front fenders connect to the pillar way farther forward and overlap the pillar hinge mount surfaces, I think it can be done, but the welding in the back is going to be a bitch I think.

One has the same issue if the door opens like the traditional crewcab doors, there would be a 4 inch piece of metal between the doors, and it will be a bitch to make it strong. 

I think one could make the pillar without the piece of metal between the doors, get it working, then add the piece of metal in there after it's all done, one would only have to shape the metal to the hole/space, then drill holes in it where it touches metal on the back of that said piece of metal, then re-position the piece of metal and weld it to the metal in back of it like a spot weld, then clean up the outside face and your good.

• Like 1