Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Wayno, I used a 1980 720 oil pan and as I remember the drain plug is just in front of the cross member bracket. I tried a 521 oil pan after I set the motor mounts up for the 720 pan and the 521 would not work because of the placement of the motor. i did not want to redo the motor mounts so I stayed with the 720 pan. I will see if I can get Gene Knight to go over to my house and take some pictures of the under side of the oil pan & chassis.

Hi Greiggy, not much progress as I am still working in Northern Nevada and my truck is in Arizona about a 13 hour drive I hopeto be able to go home for a working visit the end of October or November. My panel beater has been busy trying to survive doing side work and my truck is temporarily on hold.

wayno, if I remember correctly the 620 L20B oil pans & pick up tubes are the same as the 80 720.

I will talk to gene and see if he can swing by my house and take some pictures of the themounts & the oil pan and steering linkage. all steering linkage is 520 except the Idler ar which is a 521.

I have a complete 1980 720 frame in Phoenix.

I Have a 1986 720 kingcab 2 wheel drive that I am driving in Carlin Nevada. I am looking for a later model kingcab that has a v6 automatic for a 520 kingcab project after I firnish this one.

wayno, if I remember correctly the 620 L20B oil pans & pick up tubes are the same as the 80 720.

I will talk to gene and see if he can swing by my house and take some pictures of the themounts & the oil pan and steering linkage. all steering linkage is 520 except the Idler ar which is a 521.

I have a complete 1980 720 frame in Phoenix.

I Have a 1986 720 kingcab 2 wheel drive that I am driving in Carlin Nevada. I am looking for a later model kingcab that has a v6 automatic for a 520 kingcab project after I firnish this one.

:lol: I have a VG30 with automatic and wiring harness, and it will fit if I remove the stock clutch fan assembly, but I am going to use it in a 521, there is more room, and yello620 has already done it in a early 620, which is basicly the same frame/room as the late 521. I suppose there are other V6s also, I just know about the VG30, the V6 conversions aren't on the top 40 list right now, I just have to figure the L block conversion right now, I do have a 620 oilpan with pickup tube out in the garage right now, but that sump is farther forward I beleave. I have a few differant oilpans around, I'll check them all out. To bad I didn't like it as a 4X4, as it was a running/driving truck, It was just to high off the ground.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Wow this is enlightening.

ive got a 67 PU with an pl520 and it sounds like its got a bad crank bearing or somthing.I cant find a rebuild kit ( is it availiable anywhere?).

So I thought i was stuck.

How do I find out which Nissan or ? engines will fit in my truck?

Or do I just modify some motor mounts and put in a tranny that fits also?

Thanks

roylkid

• Like 1

Charlie, it has been a blast catching up on your thread after my hiatus from Ratsun this year! Look forward to seeing paint!

Roylkid, your truck has a J13 engine in it.You can try to find a J15 from a forklift, (also J16 and J18 but only in other countries) or you can head in the direction on a British B-series engine. The engines that were in the mgb all the way into the 80's. The J series was a pretty close copy. Motor mounts will even line up. Beyond that you are looking at this level of fab work.

Start searching here for info on those, and start a build thread on your truck so we don't hijack Charlie's too much. :)

• Like 1

Charlie, it has been a blast catching up on your thread after my hiatus from Ratsun this year! Look forward to seeing paint!

Roylkid, your truck has a J13 engine in it.You can try to find a J15 from a forklift, (also J16 and J18 but only in other countries) or you can head in the direction on a British B-series engine. The engines that were in the mgb all the way into the 80's. The J series was a pretty close copy. Motor mounts will even line up. Beyond that you are looking at this level of fab work.

Start searching here for info on those, and start a build thread on your truck so we don't hijack Charlie's too much. :)

WOW ! Thanks again This is going to be way to much fun!

Where do you think i can look for a L15 from a forklift or the mgbs.

Do they have most of the parts for both in auto parts stores?

I know im a lot green...but what is a hiatus?

Thank again

(Im blown away at the potential and adventure)

roylkid

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Charlie:

If you have posted a thread on your one-piece windows I missed it. I would like to see how you did this or will do this, with pics if possible, as I may change my 320 to one piece windows if I cannot find a source to reproduce the 320 vent window rubbers. Thanks, Ol' 320

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

I am now setup with DSL so I hope to be able to login at least every couple of weeks. I have a demandinding work schedule that keeps me really busy.

Glad you're making progress Charlie! Can't wait to see it painted.

Pharough, I appologize for not getting back with you. I am seperated from all my tech books and notes. It is hard fro me to remeber alot about certain wiring as there are so many variants in wiring design & details. Keep asking and I will do my best to help you.

Wow this is enlightening.

ive got a 67 PU with an pl520 and it sounds like its got a bad crank bearing or somthing.I cant find a rebuild kit ( is it availiable anywhere?).

So I thought i was stuck.

How do I find out which Nissan or ? engines will fit in my truck?

Or do I just modify some motor mounts and put in a tranny that fits also?

Thanks

roylkid

Roykid, My advise is to take your J13/15 to a reputable engine rebuilder and have them rebuild it complete. The reason I say this is because of all the work involved to swap another engine in. Also it will be must faster and a whole lot easier than trying to find all the "correct" rebuild parts yourself. It will be expensive but worth every penny as you stay stock and hopefully your engine serial number matches the enge number on the plate above the motor.

Start searching here for info on those, and start a build thread on your truck so we don't hijack Charlie's too much. smile.gif

Hi Fisch good to here you are alive & well. No worries about Hijacking my thread if it helps a fellow ratsoner and Datsun owner.

Fisch PM me. I ahve been getting a RatRod magazine that I think you will enjoy. I would like to send you a years subscription to it.

Charlie:

If you have posted a thread on your one-piece windows I missed it. I would like to see how you did this or will do this, with pics if possible, as I may change my 320 to one piece windows if I cannot find a source to reproduce the 320 vent window rubbers. Thanks, Ol' 320

Ol' 320 un fortunately I will be running the wing windows for now as my painter has turned out to be a flake. Here is a link to a how to for a 55-57 chevy to help you understand all that is involved.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/interior/glass/sucp_0602_tri_five_power_windows/viewall.html

Doing good except for being isolated in Battle Mountain Nevada (BM = Bowel Movement). I am really pissed at this painter, I have already paid him $1200 cash.

Wayno when I get home to Arizona I will take pictures of all the mods I did to the motor mounts & oil pan, no mods to the oil pan.

Hacked how is the bed coming on your truck?

Those stock wheels & the best set of caps I have will be on my 520, thank you Hacked.

• 6 months later...
Well I am back in Phoenix now, and will be getting my truck body parts back soon unpainted.  The painter is a total drunk. Not sure as to my next step.

We have a charlie69 sighting, welcome back.  :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about the painter, I got lucky a few times, but it always took way longer than it was supposed to.

Look around for another painter first, that's what I would do, fact is I am looking right now myself.

Can you go over there and help him finish the job?

If that would be possible, then likely you could do it yourself next time.

• Like 1

Hi Wayno & PCD,

I am going over to see the painter on Saturday.  Since I have paid him $1300 cash I feel he has stolen my money.  I am really dissapointed as he told me it would take thirty days to complete, That was over 21 months ago.

I will post pictures I take on Saturday.

Hi Wayno & PCD,

I am going over to see the painter on Saturday.  Since I have paid him $1300 cash I feel he has stolen my money.  I am really dissapointed as he told me it would take thirty days to complete, That was over 21 months ago.

I will post pictures I take on Saturday.

My body/painter guy I had was not so dependable either, but I would go over there and start working on it, and that would get him going, as he knew he would have to redo anything I did, he had my 47 chevy pickup over a year, it turned out nice, but it took forever.

How did you find this guy?

Let us know how it goes Saturday.

• Like 1

Well I saw the painter yesterday, he said he had stopped drinking on the first.  I told him since he is sobber that he has 60 days to finish my truck and he said it would be done.

I also explained to him if it was not done that I would take my truck and he would write me a bill of sale for his tools & help me load them.  I hope this is incetive to get my truck done. I will be at his house 2 times a week for the next sixty days to check on the progress.  I told him I was p!$$ed about him taking my money & not doing the work. 

I hope that he gets it done.

Mark I would be happy to let you do my truck if this ends badlly.  The problem I have with taking my truck back is the $1300 I have already paid him.  I really do not want to take his tools but if I have to I will.

Wayno I know it is slow going but 21 months is ridiculous,  especially when he has not touched my truck in the last year.

I do appreciate both of your support.

i am glad you are back on top of this (your truck). i was very impressed seeing your truck when i was on my visits to phoenix. i hope the painter finishes to your liking and we get to see what your vision is for this truck.... is it going to be the same color you had originally in mind?

• Like 1