Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Wayno, it is going good.  How are you doing?

I heard through the grape vine that my expainter got his pickup reposed! :thumbup:   B)

Going slow on the truck, working 6 10's doesn't leave much time.

I hope to be off next Saturday, so I can get some media blasting done on the cab & the bed. 

I am planning on ordering a radiator for it on Wednesday.  Then I can do the final mounting brackets for the radiator and brackets for the AC condenser.

I need to put the engine and trans back in the frame and set the cab on bolt everything down and cut the hole in the tunnel for the shifter.  Also need to set the heater assembly in to drill the holes in the firewall for hoses.

A ton of little things to get done.

I am doing fine, didn't get much done this weekend, just took it easy, basically I got lazy.

I cleaned the garage in my small work area and placed the new compressor in it's new home, this one is big enough to operate all my air tools, like the sanders, so I guess I need to get back to the body of the 520 before I start something else that will monopolize my time, as it needs to be painted before the winter, I guess I will try doing it myself, as I have all the paint equipment now.

DSCN1520_zpsbdc6c685.jpg

Hi Wayno, it is going good.  How are you doing?

I heard through the grape vine that my expainter got his pickup reposed! :thumbup:   B)

Going slow on the truck, working 6 10's doesn't leave much time.

I hope to be off next Saturday, so I can get some media blasting done on the cab & the bed. 

I am planning on ordering a radiator for it on Wednesday.  Then I can do the final mounting brackets for the radiator and brackets for the AC condenser.

I need to put the engine and trans back in the frame and set the cab on bolt everything down and cut the hole in the tunnel for the shifter.  Also need to set the heater assembly in to drill the holes in the firewall for hoses.

A ton of little things to get done.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

This is what Gene Knight and I did today.

After 4 years of trying different radiators I settled on this CRX Racing Datsun 510 SR20 swap radiator.  It fits like it was made for the 520.

I have 2" clearance the radiator and the water pump pulley, plenty of room for 2 10" electric fans.

The grill fits even with the AC condenser in.  I still need to make brackets for the condensor

DSC01487_zpsdb1a855e.jpg

DSC01488_zps67265e53.jpg

DSC01489_zps50e6aa48.jpg

DSC01490_zps5a6f0ea6.jpg

• Like 2

520 engine bays are tight, it doesn't even look like you have a water pump, but you must have one.

That radiator looks like it should do the job, it looks plenty big enough, does it mount though them pieces of metal sticking out of the reservoirs?

I have never seen a radiator mounted that way before, but I have not been looking either.

BTW, thankyou for the pieces of metal pipe, they will work good for notching the frame on my 521KC, and another future project, but I owe you shipping costs, that was kinda sneaky how you got them to me, real sneaky.  :hmm:

DSCN1599_zps8e0c5364.jpg

• Like 1

Wayno you are welcome.  You do not owe me anything.  What goes around comes around.  I remember some back glass rubbers you sent me.  If you need more I have 2 more cut and pipe to cut 4 more.  It helps when you know a postal worker.  LOL  Just think about it Wayno, it gave Mike a reason to go to Blue Lake.

I do have a water pump but it is the one I cut the clutch fan assembly off. I will take some more pictures to show the water pump and clearance.

Thank you, Mark.  Getting closer to paint.  Mark what did you And Guy use for abrasive when you blasted the 320?

• 1 month later...

I would look into the 620 bench seat with the notch cutout in the middle for the longshaft 5 speed shifter, they have thin seat backs, so it will give you the most leg room, also the higher you mount the seat, the more leg room you will have.

You are going to be squished with them seats Charlie, to bad you are not closer, izzo has some MR2 seats for cheap.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Per ol' 320's request here is a small update.

I shaved the cowl vent and will moc up some Mazda RX7 seats in the near future.  Laid off again so I have time but no money again. LOL

I will post some pictures and be sending ol' 320 an email check your pm's.